Owner of my car left Thailand

You've must have heard  versions of this story before, but I'm trying to pin down precise information and finding it quite difficult:  a friend moved back to the UK, leaving her car with me with all the paper work that she thought I'd need to register it in my name before sending her the agreed price.   It turns out the papers are not done correctly so no sale although I can still drive it.  The thing is, she may be willing to come back to sell me the car as this seems to be necessary here on Samui,  but not for a while as she just recently left.  She still owns a house  here to be used by family as vacation house. Does she need a new non-immigrant O to sell the car or could she come in on a 30-day entry or tourist visa and still get a Certificate of Residency as a home owner and then sell it?  Or is it possible to give a family member Power of Attorney at a UK Consulate to complete the sale?

For what its worth about 15 years ago I left a car in Thailand with my GF. The car was registered to me only. She had the blue book and I gave her permission to sell the car while I was still overseas. She sent me one or two forms that needed my signature and a copy of my passport. So if you have the blue book you may be able to get this done too.

But you may need to return to the jangwat it was registered in.

Edited by ningnong

4 hours ago, ningnong said:

For what its worth about 15 years ago I left a car in Thailand with my GF. The car was registered to me only. She had the blue book and I gave her permission to sell the car while I was still overseas. She sent me one or two forms that needed my signature and a copy of my passport. So if you have the blue book you may be able to get this done too.

But you may need to return to the jangwat it was registered in.

Thanks.  I do have the bluebook but it seems to be a lot more complicated now.

This topic has been covered before.

From memory, a correctly completed power of attorney form from the Land Transport Department (signed by the foreign owner) plus a copy of the current registered owner's passport (signed) with a copy of her departure stamp (signed) may be enough.

It is certainly not required for the registered owner to return to Thailand to effect the transfer.

What exactly is the objection of Samui's Land Transport Office?

Edited by Briggsy

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This topic has been covered before.

From memory, a correctly completed power of attorney form from the Land Transport Department (signed by the foreign owner) plus a copy of the current registered owner's passport (signed) with a copy of her departure stamp (signed) may be enough.

It is certainly not required for the registered owner to return to Thailand to effect the transfer.

What exactly is the objection of Samui's Land Transport Office?

Yes, I also think this.