Chaweng Beach, Dirty?

JoneL

I did read some comments about Mae Nam beach being dirty (glass, plastic bags...).

So how is Chaweng Beach? Chaweng is more touristic beach, right? So more people than on Mae Nam... So more dirty? :o

Or is there some cleaner group that takes care about Chaweng Beach?

I did read some comments about Mae Nam beach being dirty (glass, plastic bags...).

So how is Chaweng Beach? Chaweng is more touristic beach, right? So more people than on Mae Nam... So more dirty? :o

Or is there some cleaner group that takes care about Chaweng Beach?

OHHHH YEAH.......... its dirty..........I just came back from Samui, and its just terrible to see, how nobody care about all the plastic etc. everywhere between the resorts and palmtrees......

Nothing has change about that the last 20 years......the resorts are getting more and more expensive......the Thai Gov. wants rich tourists, but nobody think about how it looks......its really sad.

Talking about Chaweng.....what about the beach road with all the shops and restaurants.......really interesting as usual, BUT it STINKS......it made me laugh to see all theese Madams in their evening "custums" walking around in the smell of and old trawler mixed with a barn......its so disqusting...

at the same time , I cant understand why they continue to have cars and bikes on that road.........ofcourse its should only be open in the early morning hours for deliveries etc . and then a walking street rest of the day.......how much more money do you think they could earn........big time thats for sure and they could keep alot of tourist on the spot , but now they all go Tesco, because they can walk more peacefully around.......

I've been to Chaweng so many times and I can live with it.......but again, when they want more high class tourist to take over.......then they really have to do something about it......but with the speed of development in Thailand....I guess we have to walk around in the dump smell for the next 10-15 years

Oh.. That is sad :D

In the pics the beach looks so lovely...

It is ###### shame when people throw their garbage to the nature :o

I don't like tourists that make a mess, it's just sad.

Well, its even more sad when the locals do the mess........ofcourse the tourists consume alot, but they are not the one who throw it everywhere, thourght.

You see staff from the beach resorts cleaning up in the mornings, but they dont touch any garbage if its a half meter outside their area.........I just dont get it.

How difficult can it be to have a cleaning crew on the beach EVERY morning ??

And then the filth/garbage goes to the ocean when the high tide comes? :o

Is the Chaweng beach dirty through all it's lenght? or only in the center part?

How about Lamai beach? or the Bophut (the Buddha beach)? Are they also dirty?

Most beaches that are left to there own accord will be or get dirty, unless we get together and organize a clean up, like John has done in another post. I'd advice to phone him if you're on the Island and ask if you can help out. At least you'll feel good about yourselves! IMHO.

The number to John is 0810169366. Hope you can take some hours of your vacation to do something worthwhile.

Edited by SamuiJens

Most beaches that are left to there own accord will be or get dirty, unless we get together and organize a clean up, like John has done in another post. I'd advice to phone him if you're on the Island and ask if you can help out. At least you'll feel good about yourselves! IMHO.

The number to John is 0810169366. Hope you can take some hours of your vacation to do something worthwhile.

Very worthwhile thought,but why can't all the establishements that rake in the money,put something togother to keep their place of business presentable & clean.

Surely it does not a rocket scientist to organise a couple of people from every bar,restaurant etc... to keep it clean.Most of the people think oh well someone else will do it.

John is doing the right thing, if only others can dedicate some of their staff to tackle the problem , you will not have a problem.

Very worthwhile thought,but why can't all the establishements that rake in the money,put something togother to keep their place of business presentable & clean.

Surely it does not a rocket scientist to organise a couple of people from every bar,restaurant etc... to keep it clean.Most of the people think oh well someone else will do it.

John is doing the right thing, if only others can dedicate some of their staff to tackle the problem , you will not have a problem.

OH, I agree 110% Roo, and it should be an enforced law (HA-HA), some of the owners are too greedy to do a small clean up of there own area, cause it costs Bahts, and what more can I say, than they are as greedy as holes, but I don't mean to clean "private" Resort areas, since as you say that is their moneymaker, but at Big Buddha Beach and others (even if they are partly owned,but not making anything, as long as the public has free entrance, I think we could clean up once in a while if it gets bad) Else we need the laws to be enforced(LOL), and what's so bad about a local clean-up, if the volunteers don't mind.

PS-I've never ever thought of helping Chaweng Beach Resorts, as you say they rake in the cash. My involvement will only include the area beaches of where I stay so I can enjoy a clean beach!

Edited by SamuiJens

OH, I agree 110% Roo, and it should be an enforced law (HA-HA), some of the owners are too greedy to do a small clean up of there own area, cause it costs Bahts, and what more can I say, than they are as greedy as holes, but I don't mean to clean "private" Resort areas, since as you say that is their moneymaker, but at Big Buddha Beach and others (even if they are partly owned,but not making anything, as long as the public has free entrance, I think we could clean up once in a while if it gets bad) Else we need the laws to be enforced(LOL), and what's so bad about a local clean-up, if the volunteers don't mind.

PS-I've never ever thought of helping Chaweng Beach Resorts, as you say they rake in the cash. My involvement will only include the area beaches of where I stay so I can enjoy a clean beach!

Ofcourse we should help too.............but why the H... can't the Thai's see, they have to organize a REAL team to do the Beaches everyday...... with all the money Samui is making.......I just dont get it....hmm AMAYZING THAILAND the people in charge should be bent over my knees......

I think that an excessively bleak picture is being painted of Chaweng in this thread. Most of the resorts clean up the beach right in front of their properties and for most the length of Chaweng it's wall-to-wall resorts. I haven't gone around inspecting for litter and taking note on where there is garbage on the beach, but the only places I specifically recall seeing it is way down on the south end of the beach when the seas were rough and back from the beach in places where there are alley's or walkthoughs between resorts. Maybe I have a higher than usual tolerance for litter, and perhaps others have reason to be jaded about Chaweng, but to me Chaweng still does seem like a lovely beach and not to be much different than it is in the pictures.

I think that an excessively bleak picture is being painted of Chaweng in this thread. Most of the resorts clean up the beach right in front of their properties and for most the length of Chaweng it's wall-to-wall resorts. I haven't gone around inspecting for litter and taking note on where there is garbage on the beach, but the only places I specifically recall seeing it is way down on the south end of the beach when the seas were rough and back from the beach in places where there are alley's or walkthoughs between resorts. Maybe I have a higher than usual tolerance for litter, and perhaps others have reason to be jaded about Chaweng, but to me Chaweng still does seem like a lovely beach and not to be much different than it is in the pictures.

Ofcourse its still a nice beautiful beach........but try to take a walk again, please......lots of places with trash......unfortunally

Ok ! You have that so called guy which is the president of the Samui Tourist Association. Loves his picture being taken, spits out a lot of BULL...T but what does he actually do? He does own a resort after all.

Unless they start looking at Samui as their showroom ,their showpiece to repeat & new customers , they will loose .

It only takes some concerted effort from all the businesses to achieve a simple goal of keeping your house in good order..

But as someone mentioned on this forum once before, the attitude is F...K Jack I'm allright.

Ok ! You have that so called guy which is the president of the Samui Tourist Association. Loves his picture being taken, spits out a lot of BULL...T but what does he actually do? He does own a resort after all.

Unless they start looking at Samui as their showroom ,their showpiece to repeat & new customers , they will loose .

It only takes some concerted effort from all the businesses to achieve a simple goal of keeping your house in good order..

But as someone mentioned on this forum once before, the attitude is F...K Jack I'm allright.

EXACTLY :o

Hmm... So are all the beaches with hotels (Lamai, Chaweng, Big Buddha) dirty/with garbage? :o

No Jone L , but they could be better looked after.

I was in near Hua Hin (my firts trip to Thailand) and I was really dissapointed/sad with the beach. There was plastic bags and soda cans and horse s*hit... On the first day I did try to pick some plastic things (didn't really wanna touch the horse things...), but after a while I just got frustrated :D

So I hope that the Chaweng beach isn't so dirty... :D

Chaweng is a big, busy beach with a lot of people...

You've got to expect a bit of rubbish :o

yeah, sure there will be some rubbish, that is life...

But I hope there's not too much rubbish, that's not nice :D

Chaweng is not a dirty beach.

Maybe someone already wrote this (I'm too lazy to read all the posts) but there is Farang organization already (Green Cross) that does monthly beach clean ups. I think the head person is a lady named Fimke and I'm sure someone must know her and have her number.

What is interesting, I live on Big Buddha beach and last week or so when the water was really rough it washed tons and tons of seaweed, shoes, junk and more junk up onto the beach. It looked horrible and I was "who the heck is ever gonna clean all this up?" but then one morning I woke up and it was all gone. The tide had come in and washed it all back to sea. So, sawadee kup Mother Nature. :o

• 2 months later...

If all the disgusting europeans took there rubbish back to the Hotels with them the beach would not need cleaning by the Thai's. It makes my blood boil when I walk up the beach and watch the farrangs stubbing out their ciggarettes in the sand, what do they think happens to their stubs. Its not just the beach going down hill, the drainage canal behind my apartment is dumping black untreated effluent into the sea all day and night I dread to think what is in it. I have been making monthly visits to Samui for the last 5 years and the beach is definately going down hill. I just wish the vile tourists that use it would treat it with more respect or stay in Benidorme where they belong.

A confusing discussion.

There are two kinds of garbage on the beach:

First the plastic and glass on the floodline, this comes from the sea (fisherboats..). Plastic and glass can swim!

Second the garbage behind the floodline, this belongs to people who sit on the beach. Why they leave their garbage on the beach? Because there are no bins in reach (tourists) or because the dont care (thai peoples).

If there are 5 Thais and 100 farangs sitting on the beach the garbage amount from the small thaigroup will be bigger than the one from the 100 farangs. Dont believe it? Go to the Lipa Noi waterfall on a sunday afternoon and have a look what the Thais are doing.

As long as there is no strict fine for littering the thaipopulation (not all, I know) will continue to ruin this island.

Cheers, Claude

it is sad to sit by and watch what is happening to the beaches in samui, it makes me think of Acapulco, in the 60s it was the place to be and vist by the late 70s tourism was mostly locals and today it is considered a toilet i.e. violence, pollution, uncontrolled growth, greed, drugs.

The Central Hotel has it's own staff out beach cleaning daily and the sand for the most part looks litter free, that is until the waves bring rubbish rolling in.

If all the disgusting europeans took there rubbish back to the Hotels with them the beach would not need cleaning by the Thai's. It makes my blood boil when I walk up the beach and watch the farrangs stubbing out their ciggarettes in the sand, what do they think happens to their stubs. Its not just the beach going down hill, the drainage canal behind my apartment is dumping black untreated effluent into the sea all day and night I dread to think what is in it. I have been making monthly visits to Samui for the last 5 years and the beach is definately going down hill. I just wish the vile tourists that use it would treat it with more respect or stay in Benidorme where they belong.

Don't talk about the 'dirty european'tourists,, take a look at the local thai people,,, dont get me wrong, i love most thai people, but it really annoys me when i see the thai's throwing away their rubbish anywhere, i live near the fishing village and every day on the beach we have broken light bulbs,empty food cartons, plastic bags , empty whisky bottles, flip flops,, all from the fishermans overnight fishing,,, why they cant bring it home with them,,, cos it floats home anyway, just walk to the fishing village in Hua thanon,, and have a look for yourself,,,

Sadly, many people litter. But Claude is right in the fact about the fishing boats: the crew throws any unwanted item overboard. I've also seen Thais at the beach for a BBQ. When they go, most leave all their bottles, plastic, whatever. But, I have seen them collect the trash and put it in a bin. But, in most areas, there are no bins.

Don't talk about the 'dirty european'tourists,, take a look at the local thai people,,, dont get me wrong, i love most thai people, but it really annoys me when i see the thai's throwing away their rubbish anywhere, i live near the fishing village and every day on the beach we have broken light bulbs,empty food cartons, plastic bags , empty whisky bottles, flip flops,, all from the fishermans overnight fishing,,, why they cant bring it home with them,,, cos it floats home anyway, just walk to the fishing village in Hua thanon,, and have a look for yourself,,,

Unfortunatley it is due to a lack of basic education they really have no idea the impact of their actions has. As to the anti-european rant about cigarette butts I will treat that with the contemt it deserves.