Two American tourists fined 5000 Baht for 'butt selfie' at Thai temple

webfact

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your argument might hold water if we were discussing one isolated incident, but we aren't are we
This is one of two in Thailand alone not to mention other countries
They made a conscious decision to produce symbolic material that advertised their choice of lifestyle
Its anything but a joke, the only joke here is the fact they launched the material into the public domain while still in Thailand
Hence the joke as you see it is very much on them

Exactly.

Just a pair of talentless losers trying to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Shock tactics that backfired!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Norrad said:

Well they have been released after spending a week in jail and are now being processed for deportation.

If that's true, that's fantastic news.

A week in jail would be more than enough punishment on top of the initial fine and I'm sure they'll never forget it.

How do you know this? Inside information or do you have a news source? 

Just now, Jingthing said:

If that's true, that's fantastic news.

A week in jail would be more than enough punishment on top of the initial fine and I'm sure they'll never forget it.

How do you know this? Inside information or do you have a news source? 

More information here :-)

http://sdgln.com/news/2017/12/08/travis-and-joseph-dasilva-have-been-released-headed-back-home

Well, your link doesn't actually report they have been released quite yet.

I wasn't going to predict, but I think it was obvious to all that the lack of news was either good or bad news for the couple. I don't think there was any way of knowing which. I had thought if it was good news it would take longer than a week or two just so the public attention had time to fade away. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Norrad said:

That is one thing that I cannot understand , this from the report .

They seem to be saying that regardless of whether they are right or wrong, the gay community should sympathise and support them .

Gays should not have an opinion, blindly support other gays, whatever they do .

Johnathan Hale, the publisher of San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, was disheartened by the comments not only beneath our published story. but the ones on our social media pages as well. 

"Reading through a few of the comments, I was embarrassed by my own community," said Hale."There were comments which showed no concern for Travis' and Joseph's well-being."

He adds that his publications will speak for some people in the community who can't for whatever reason. "For those of you who find yourself in this position and lack the strength to speak up for yourself, or can’t count on your community to stand up to those tearing you down, know this: I will speak up for you, I will be your voice of reason, I will help you crawl out from under that dog pile."

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

They seem to be saying that regardless of whether they are right or wrong, the gay community should sympathise and support them .

Johnathan Hale, the publisher of San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, was disheartened by the comments not only beneath our published story. but the ones on our social media pages as well. 

"Reading through a few of the comments, I was embarrassed by my own community," said Hale."There were comments which showed no concern for Travis' and Joseph's well-being."

He adds that his publications will speak for some people in the community who can't for whatever reason. "For those of you who find yourself in this position and lack the strength to speak up for yourself, or can’t count on your community to stand up to those tearing you down, know this: I will speak up for you, I will be your voice of reason, I will help you crawl out from under that dog pile."

Yep....that's generally the way it goes with special interest groups. Feminists always circle the wagons and support whatever the leadership puts down...same with political parties. The party line always rules, no matter how stupid it may be.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with being gay or not. It has something to do with the possible length of a jail sentence. No reasonable human being should support people going to jail for years on end, just for pulling a prank.

But I understand some people on this thread are so thin skinned that such an argument falls on deaf ears. As I said before, the idiots are not the but showers, but the people openly advocating that they be put away for years. Absolutely unjust and idiotic. 

What they should be saying is: ALL humans should support them. Yes they pulled an insensitive prank, but no-one on this planet should go to jail for doing so. Jails are for real criminals, not for people pulling a prank, regardless if the prank is insensitive. 

Edited by sjaak327

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with being gay or not. It has something to do with the possible length of a jail sentence. No reasonable human being should support people going to jail for years on end, just for pulling a prank.

But I understand some people on this thread are so thin skinned that such an argument falls on deaf ears. As I said before, the idiots are not the but showers, but the people openly advocating that they be put away for years. Absolutely unjust and idiotic. 

Of course the support that the guy was referring to was emotional support. He was asking why people, despite their difference of opinion as to whether the two guys were irresponsible, chose to use such language as they did in condemning them.  You can have different opinions as to the rights or wrongs but still show some compassion. 

For many it's not thin skinned, it's homophobia. 

Of course the support that the guy was referring to was emotional support. He was asking why people, despite their difference of opinion as to whether the two guys were irresponsible, chose to use such language as they did in condemning them.  You can have different opinions as to the rights or wrongs but still show some compassion. 

What they should be saying is: ALL humans should support them. Yes they pulled an insensitive prank, but no-one on this planet should go to jail for doing so. Jails are for real criminals, not for people pulling a prank, regardless if the prank is insensitive. 

What a load of <deleted>. The support asked for was supporting their release and so that they wouldn't have rotted in prison for several years based on what most people see as not a massively serious crime. Some gay people were as sadistic as others in hoping they rot in jail. Not nice from gay people or anyone. It's not a matter of defending their mistaken action. Even after news of their release the nastiness persists.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

25 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Oh yes no doubt, for some it's homophobia, as witnessed by serveral post on this very thread. I shall refrain from stating what I think about homophobia, the last time I did on here, got me a suspension....

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What a load of <deleted>. The support asked for was supporting their release and so that they wouldn't have rotted in prison for several years based on what most people see as not a massively serious crime. Some gay people were as sadistic as others in hoping they rot in jail. Not nice from gay people or anyone. It's not a matter of defending their mistaken action. Even after news of their release the nastiness persists.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Calm down. Nothing that I stated is a load of whatever it was you wrote. Maybe re-read what I said ? 

I don't care one bit about the nastiness, it just shows how idiotic those people are. As said, the idiots are not the but showers. 

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Yep....that's generally the way it goes with special interest groups. Feminists always circle the wagons and support whatever the leadership puts down...same with political parties. The party line always rules, no matter how stupid it may be.

My last post was meant as a reply to you. Regrets for the error.

39 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Calm down. Nothing that I stated is a load of whatever it was you wrote. Maybe re-read what I said ? 

I don't care one bit about the nastiness, it just shows how idiotic those people are. As said, the idiots are not the but showers. 

My last post was not meant as a reply to you but rather to Jools. Regrets for the error.

2 hours ago, Jools said:
6 hours ago, sanemax said:

It has nothing to do with their being gay?  

"Reading through a few of the comments, I was embarrassed by my own community," "will speak for some people in the community ," "can’t count on your community to stand up to those tearing you down, "

What community does he speak of?  Obviously the GAY community. 

And much like "America love it or shove it,  My country right or wrong" , there is no room under the rainbow for honest discussion, gay fascism is no different than GOP fascism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/gay-couple-thailand-butts_us_5a2af584e4b0a290f0509482

Sources close to the Dasilvas told San Diego Gay and Lesbian News Friday that a Thai court dismissed the charges against them, and sent them back to immigration police to be processed for deportation. Robert Rodriguez, a friend of the couple, said the men could get word they are going home in as little as 24 hours, but that the processing could take up to five days.

Now ,  America can worrying about these two *ssclowns and start worrying about the important issues that face the great nation.  That being of course  is having the Supreme Court " strip a Colorado baker of his religious rights and his right to free speach."

19 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

It has nothing to do with their being gay?  

"Reading through a few of the comments, I was embarrassed by my own community," "will speak for some people in the community ," "can’t count on your community to stand up to those tearing you down, "

What community does he speak of?  Obviously the GAY community. 

And much like "America love it or shove it,  My country right or wrong" , there is no room under the rainbow for honest discussion, gay fascism is no different than GOP fascism.

Of course there is room for discussion. What is not tolerated is Homophobic facism, which is one of the worst and stupid kinds in existance. usually the same people who are racists as well. No respect or acceptance for anything that is "different". Not the sharpest knives in the drawer. 

Of course there is room for discussion. What is not tolerated is Homophobic facism, which is one of the worst and stupid kinds in existance. usually the same people who are racists as well. No respect or acceptance for anything that is "different". Not the sharpest knives in the drawer. 

What is not tolerated is Homophobic facism, which is one of the worst and stupid kinds in existance. usually the same people who are racists as well.

Do you have any reference material to back that up or is it an attempt  to compound a slur with another slur?

6 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

What is not tolerated is Homophobic facism, which is one of the worst and stupid kinds in existance. usually the same people who are racists as well.

Do you have any reference material to back that up or is it an attempt  to compound a slur with another slur?

Oh the irony ! So some on here can post one homophobic slur after another, without any "reference material" to back up the rubbish they posted, and now you are asking me for "reference material". ?

Common sense is my reference material. Good day. 

Edited by sjaak327

21 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh the irony ! So some on here can post one homophobic slur after another, without any "reference material" to back up the rubbish they posted, and now you are asking me for "reference material". ?

Common sense is my reference material. Good day. 

Now I understand your position.

Hetrophobia is good, Homophobia is bad.  

No need for references, personal observation is now the golden standard.

6 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Now I understand your position.

Hetrophobia is good, Homophobia is bad.  

No need for references, personal observation is now the golden standard.

Hetrofobia ? Did not know it even existed. In any case, nowhere did I claim any phobia was good. But I understand you play dumb to support your agenda. As I said, good day, no need to further engage in this useless exchange of words. 

32 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hetrofobia ? Did not know it even existed. In any case, nowhere did I claim any phobia was good. But I understand you play dumb to support your agenda. As I said, good day, no need to further engage in this useless exchange of words. 

A truly obnoxious hateful agenda it is indeed. Smart to disengage from such moronic toxicity.