I Got A Canon G7 Yesterday

Khutan

A chain of events has led me to upgrade my Canon S10 to a Canon G7.

Last week I had to buy a new printer and I realised that the images I was printing were not good enough for the printer.

So I decided that as people say the crossover from film to digital is 8 Mp so I feel that a 10Mp camera should serve me well for I hope 5 years or so.

I am very happy with the results, and the usual tests, seem to be very good.

I had to do some searching as they seem out of stock, so I went to Fortune in the hope I could get one for about 22k Baht, and I found a shop that had them on special at 18,700 with a 1Gb chip. So in all I was very happy.

I had to buy an SD adaptor for the computer at 199 Baht, so for just under 19k I think I have set myself for the next few years

I think that Photobucket has compressed the image, and I can't upload a 3 meg image onto Thaivisa, so this is the Silver Arrow.

People tell me that metal is the most difficult to represent, and I think I have a good representation here.IMG_0029.jpg

No, its no good, scaled to 800x600 where can I get large images hosted ?

where can I get large images hosted ?

:D

Hi Khutan,

Try Pbase, which I am on. Free for 10 mb after that you have to pay a small fee for 400 mb.

Why would you post original photos anyway? as Monitors are only 72 dpi.

Happy Shooting

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

I imagine its a great camera, I've had its smaller brother the Powershot G5 for a couple of years now and still havent used all of its features...

I use a Sony T5 for snappy shots and carrying with me, but thE G5 will be accompanying me to Thailand this time after seeing some of the pictures posted on here

It looks like the spec is very similar.

One of the features that closed it for me was the video capacity, 1024x768. Sure its only mono sound, but with post-processing and adding music etc can fix that. As I was after flexability rather than total purism, the 400D lost that race.

I think the down side will be having to buy some high capacity SD cards :o

• 2 months later...

Sadly the G7 is no longer, so I will have to save up and buy a replacement :o

I was on a bus in Denmark and got off in a hurry with a group of people, and I left the camera on the bus. A month later, I think its lost for ever. Good luck to whoever finds it, I hope it goes to good use.

People are saying there is going to be a G8 coming soon, is this true ?

It took Canon two years to release G7 since the predecessor model G6, when all preceding models up to G6 had only one year product lifecycle (G1 to G6). I doubt G8 is coming so soon to the market and I wouldn't be surprised even if G8 will never see the light of the day when you can buy pretty decent entry-level dSLR for the price of G7 these days (albeit with crappy kit lens).

I was also tempted to buy G7 as a sub-camera for my dSLR but decided against it for the following reasons.

1. no more F/2.8 fast lens available

2. no more RAW format recording available (JPEG only)

3. don't like the 35 - 210mm zoom range, more shift to the wide side preferable (like PowerShot SD800IS)

4. wish it came with 2/3" size sensor instead of 1/1.8" (like PowerShot Pro1)

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Just read a G7 review in a UK magazine and they were highly critical of the image quality and noise. Maybe another case of ramping up the mega-pixels at the expense of quality

The image quality and noise is a problem associated with the ISO 1600 setting, only. Use 800 ASA and the noise will be on an acceptable level.

What I like about the G7 is the fact that it gives you great manual control over your settings. I bought it fresh off the shelf in October or November last year and I am pretty happy with it. The colors come our very well. Considering the price of 18k Baht it's a pretty good deal.

Edited by faxx