Video: The Demon Drink! Why giving booze as a present is so yesterday!

webfact

Video: The Demon Drink! Why giving booze as a present is so yesterday!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media has reported on the continued success of health marketing to stop the Thai public boozing.

The campaign "Lao=cheng" (booze = a curse on you) has already become a well known catchphrase in Thailand to try to encourage Thais to stop drinking alcohol.

Now a festive season advertisement ahead of New Year present giving is set to add to the campaign's success.

In the latest ad a man arrives with a red package that everyone at the expectant table assumes is a bottle of spirits. But the host stares into the eyes of the present giver and says menacingly: "Are you trying to curse me?"

But the tense mood breaks as he laughs and shows he is joking only to open the package in front of his thirsty friends to find it is just an ordinary torch.

The friends stare at their own gifts arrayed on a table and discover them to contain such items as vegetables, fruit, an umbrella and even a plunger.

The ad - featuring Thai celeb "Mam" Suthon Petchsuwan - has already been viewed about 4 million times online and is the idea of the Social Marketing Thaihealth group that wants the Thais to give up the demon drink.

Sanook reported on the story saying that the campaign has the slogan: "These days no one gives booze".

They said that the dangers of alcohol are well known and it is high time that alcohol stopped being given to family, friends and bosses as gifts.

And it should also not figure in the baskets of goodies that are handed out at New Year.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-30

Many Thais have, perhaps due to their affluence, developed a taste for decent Whisky/whiskey and fine wines.

Unfortunately, the Demon drink is usually released from bottles looking like this, more affordable by poorer Thais (and farangs)

image.jpeg.fefbfcc59aa97119c5b6500dab3f2875.jpegimage.jpeg.46d4e4585264bf1b3c47aaa453fadbd0.jpegimage.jpeg.08d50ed7d6592f418436fb967c236acd.jpeg

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The friends stare at their own gifts arrayed on a table and discover them to contain such items as vegetables, fruit, an umbrella and even a plunger.

If someone gave me that as a festive present, I know where I would be sticking it ! 

And it would be theirs, not mine !

Edited by Thaiwrath

52 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Perhaps the anti alcohol

brigade would ban this? Responsible drinking is the spice of life!

Thanks, that was great. In this country, they would have to blur out all the glasses. Sad. Unfortunately 'responsible drinking' is not a concept Thais understand.  In Italy, where alcohol plays a big part in life, few people get drunk, and to do so, is seen as gauche and impolite. 

28 minutes ago, sklmeeera said:

If there is one phrase that irks it is 'responsible drinking ' What the <deleted> is that and why would anyone even consider that ?

That's an easy one: it's when you don't find yourself late night, on your knees in a puddle, having just found the key your dropped, then looking up at face of your elderly high-school teacher tsk-tsking, . Other examples aplenty, of course, but this one's textbook material.