Thailand battles ‘worrying’ trends in unsafe sex to achieve World Aids Day goals

webfact

Thailand battles ‘worrying’ trends in unsafe sex to achieve World Aids Day goals

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA 
THE NATION 

979c3148ed53b2adac42731415d10f83.jpeg

TODAY MARKS World AIDS Day and the worldwide goal of stamping out Aids by 2030.

In Thailand, relevant authorities are working to do their part, but Aids Access Foundation director Nimit Tien-udom believes more needs to be done to realise the goal within the next 13 years. 

“Let’s me make it clear that to achieve that goal, we can’t focus on just main at-risk groups,” he said.

He said Aids was a threat to every person who did not use protection. 

“The HIV infection rate among pregnant women and 21-year-old male conscripts has ranged between 0.5 and 0.7 per cent annually during the past five years. It has not dropped,” Nimit said. 

He said he believed those figures reflected that safe sex was not being practised among these groups or within families. 

Nimit’s concerns about the possibility of greater prevalence of unsafe sex appears to be supported by public health data. 

According to statistics compiled by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), the number of syphilis cases per 100,000 people in Bangkok rose from 2.13 in 2012 to 11.49 last year. 

b95d72444cc5c84cf929dc3ac2e3478b.jpg

It is estimated that about five people in Bangkok catch HIV each day. 

He also highlighted another alarming fact – a survey showed half of vocational students and Mathayom 5 students did not use condoms when having sex. 

“The condom-use rate among female sex workers has also reduced from 90 per cent to 80 per cent. All these things are worrying,” Nimit said. 

3d56d4b9a288ac5a6c93caa1da10b134.jpg

Phayao public health chief Dr Kraisuk Petcharaburanin said there were signs that the Aids threat had been growing in his province in recent years. 

“Last year, our HIV-screening tests covered 5,108 people and 198 of them tested positive,” he said. 

In other words, he said, 3.87 per cent of people tested were infected. 

“Some HIV-positive people still feel physically strong. This reflects that some people out there may be HIV-positive but are unaware of their infections,” he said. “These people then may spread the disease.” 

Kraisuk said the earlier infected people were diagnosed as HIV-positive, the better the prospects for their own health and that of others. 

7513aee822ff9dbf45c6eb0fad896439.jpg

However, health professionals agree that the best solution is prevention. 

Nimit said he believed relevant parties should seriously campaign among all groups to prevent HIV infections and properly address Aids issues. 

Disease Control Department (DCD) director-general Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai said recently that 442,127 people in Thailand were living with HIV. 

“Of them, 302,174 have received anti-retroviral drugs,” he said. 

He said about 16 people were infected with HIV each day on average.

“We will try to reduce the number of new infections as we strive to achieve the ‘Ending Aids’ goal by 2030,” he said.

Suwannachai said Thailand was pursuing three main goals: Lowering the number of new HIV infections to fewer than 1,000 each year, reducing Aids-related deaths to no more than 4,000 each year, and significantly decreasing discrimination against people living with HIV as well as gender discrimination. 

Under his leadership, the DCD has implemented a “Reach-Recruit-Test-Treat and Retain” strategy that “normalises” HIV tests and expedites results within one day. 

“HIV-positive people can start receiving anti-retroviral drugs to maintain their health,” Suwannachai said. 

He added that relevant authorities would make efforts to prevent HIV infections at the same time. 

Nimit encouraged government agencies and non-governmental organisations to work together in tackling the threat of Aids and helping people stay healthy. 

“Focus on coordination and understanding,” he said. “Together, we can raise public awareness about how best to prevent HIV infections and take care of HIV-positive people.” 

Note: To mark World Aids Day on December 1, The Nation has prepared a three-part series: The first featured Dr Prakong Vithayasai, the second addresses Thailand’s goal to “End Aids” by 2030, and the third covers the life of a same-sex couple with one partner being HIV-positive.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332920

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-01

I would like to know how many AIDS cases we linked to drug use, and how many people were infected from gay sex. Why? So I can figure what my personal chances of infection would be. I think it's quite low. As far as the conscripts having an infection rate of about 0.6%, that's less than the breakage rate for condoms. That could explain it. Also, according to gay publications, between 5 and 10 percent of the population is gay. So if a young man is straight, what are his real chance of infection. I'm not picking on gays. I hope a preventive medication is found. I don't want the research budget cut. I just want clarification. These things can affect my life. Not just over condom use (don't want pregnancy or an STD) but Ontario Province in Canada outlawed lap dances because, even if clothed, AIDS "might be transferred" from one to the other. Stupid. They use these fears and stats against hetro clubs in many States (illegal to get within six feet of a dancer, including giving them a tip), but gay bathhouses in L.A. and other cities are supplied with condoms and safe-sex literature at taxpayer expense.  

Boycott condoms. They are designed to take out what little fun is left in life for men. Find a fantastic  regular partner and stay loyal, or find, as I did, many ways to get off with many women without needing a condom. (Yes, oral is safe.)

15 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

I would like to know how many AIDS cases we linked to drug use, and how many people were infected from gay sex. Why? So I can figure what my personal chances of infection would be. I think it's quite low. As far as the conscripts having an infection rate of about 0.6%, that's less than the breakage rate for condoms. That could explain it. Also, according to gay publications, between 5 and 10 percent of the population is gay. So if a young man is straight, what are his real chance of infection. I'm not picking on gays. I hope a preventive medication is found. I don't want the research budget cut. I just want clarification. These things can affect my life. Not just over condom use (don't want pregnancy or an STD) but Ontario Province in Canada outlawed lap dances because, even if clothed, AIDS "might be transferred" from one to the other. Stupid. They use these fears and stats against hetro clubs in many States (illegal to get within six feet of a dancer, including giving them a tip), but gay bathhouses in L.A. and other cities are supplied with condoms and safe-sex literature at taxpayer expense.  

Boycott condoms. They are designed to take out what little fun is left in life for men. Find a fantastic  regular partner and stay loyal, or find, as I did, many ways to get off with many women without needing a condom. (Yes, oral is safe.)

Wank, wank, money in the bank!

15 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

I would like to know how many AIDS cases we linked to drug use, and how many people were infected from gay sex. 

You should be able to get representative numbers from the Australian Government. Within the last 10 years (as I recall), they apologised to the Australian people for the initial HIV/AIDS publicity campaigns, which blamed drug users and anal sex with prostitutes for the rise of HIV/AIDS. They acknowledged that the campaign was targetted thusly because it was not politically correct to lay the blame where the responsibility actually lay, i.e. with unprotected homosexual sex.

They put up a bunch of stats at the same time as the apology, so you ought to be able to find it.

HTH.

Just now, Mac98 said:

For HIV oral is considered safe.

But oral sex bare is not " safe sex" .

19 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

The Nation story conveniently makes absolutely no mention of what is surely the most "worrying" feature of Thailand's HIV-AIDS epidemic - the massively disproportionate contribution to the transmission statistics made by a minority gay population.

A shocking statistic which doesn't even merit a mention in the report is that men who have sex with men (MSM for short), male sex workers and transgender people were responsible for half of all new HIV diagnosis in LOS last year.

Male sex workers are six times more likely to be HIV positive than their female equivalents, according to figures from the HIV-AIDS information providers Avert.

For the facts about the risks of catching this killer virus in Thailand, free of the prissy political correctness exercised by the Nation and other Thai newspapers, follow this link:

https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/asia-pacific/thailand

54 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

I would consider the most threatening point in the statistics above is,

that only 70% of those aware of their HIV positive status are taking antiviral drugs.

As a result, they are potential vectors to spread HIV further.

Are those who are taking medication not sources of infection? Or are you assuming that if they are taking medication (ie are conscious of their HIV/AIDS status), they practice safe sex or no sex?

I don't know the answer and I think I should do, hence the question.

Edited by Sid Celery

54 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The Nation story conveniently makes absolutely no mention of what is surely the most "worrying" feature of Thailand's HIV-AIDS epidemic - the massively disproportionate contribution to the transmission statistics made by a minority gay population.

A shocking statistic which doesn't even merit a mention in the report is that men who have sex with men (MSM for short), male sex workers and transgender people were responsible for half of all new HIV diagnosis in LOS last year.

Male sex workers are six times more likely to be HIV positive than their female equivalents, according to figures from the HIV-AIDS information providers Avert.

For the facts about the risks of catching this killer virus in Thailand, free of the prissy political correctness exercised by the Nation and other Thai newspapers, follow this link:

Excellent piece, if correct - I certainly didn't know that. Not that there's any reason why I should, but it suggests several things about so-called 'homophobia'.

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

One thing these studies avoid is revealing what the rate of infection is for female sex workers through needle use, anal sex, or unprotected vaginal sex. The rate of passage via vaginal sex is quite low, even among married couples who do not practice safe sex. 

9 hours ago, Sid Celery said:

Indeed. By experts in HIV/AIDS who are in the know (which is not me), oral sex is considered 'Low risk' but not 'No risk'.

The experts put the risk of oral sex resulting in HIV for the giver at four one hundredths of one percent, and that is if she swallows. They find no measurable  risk to the male  receiving oral sex. Of course there is some risk if he had cuts all over his penis and is having oral sex with a partner whose HIV-infected mouth is coveted in open sores. So if you are not infected then neither partner is at risk.

3 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

He  receiving from a Bar girl, She had aids  and her gums were bleeding, Had had rough sex with her before, 

You were there and know the story is true?

STD contraction stories are liar club stories. 

But, whatever.

Edited by bkk6060

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You were there and know the story is true?

STD contraction stories are liar club stories. 

But, whatever.

Thanks i like  being called a liar, but then again you probably know everything.Do some research, But you probably will, not believe that,