Boyfriend learns hard way not to intervene in catfight

Rimmer

1 hour ago, tropo said:

LOL> and you're accusing me of being pedantic and twisting words?

"no good deed goes unpunished" is not a proverb. It's an ironic, tongue-in-cheek saying (expression) that is not true because every good deed is not punished. In fact, more good deeds are rewarded than punished. It's on the same level as "Murphy's law". It is not a proverb or universal truth. People might use it when they have a very bad experience and it FEELS like anything good they do results in bad outcomes.

Of course you're being pedantic, moreso with each new reply. A proverb is a commonly used saying, it doesn't have to be a universal truth. "It never rains but it pours" is one of countless examples which is sometimes true, sometimes not, "No good deed goes unpunished" is in a similar category. Call them sayings or expressions if you have a problem with the word proverb. It probably arose as an ironic counterpoint to the pious attitude that if you always do good deeds you will be rewarded, which is evidently not true.

Like many sayings in common usage, it applies in a broad, general and often non-literal sense. As you just conceded, it tends to be used ironically, which is precisely how I wrote it in the first place. 

Edited by lamyai3

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Of course you're being pedantic, moreso with each new reply. A proverb is a commonly used saying, it doesn't have to be a universal truth. "It never rains but it pours" is one of countless examples which is sometimes true, sometimes not, "No good deed goes unpunished" is in a similar category. Call them sayings or expressions if you have a problem with the word proverb. It probably arose as an ironic counterpoint to the pious attitude that if you always do good deeds you will be rewarded, which is evidently not true.

Like many sayings in common usage, it applies in a broad, general and often non-literal sense. As you just conceded, it tends to be used ironically, which is precisely how I wrote it in the first place. 

LOL> you're not being pedantic? I think you just like repeating that word...

"no good deed goes unpunished" is most definitely not a proverb. Proverbs express commonplace truth or useful thought.

That expression does neither. It isn't true and it is not useful. It's a cynical expression used by people who have suffered injustice.

And back to the original comment that got you upset in the first place. Performing one's duty is not a "good deed"... just as feeding your children is not a "good deed", but a responsibility.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> you're not being pedantic? I think you just like repeating that word...

"no good deed goes unpunished" is most definitely not a proverb. Proverbs express commonplace truth or useful thought.

That expression does neither. It isn't true and it is not useful. It's a cynical expression used by people who have suffered injustice.

And back to the original comment that got you upset in the first place. Performing one's duty is not a "good deed"... just as feeding your children is not a "good deed", but a responsibility.

Oh... you're back.

I've agreed on two points already, that taking care of one's partner is indeed a responsibility, and that I absolutely don't care whether you define the saying as a proverb or not. Incidently the link I sent does define it as a proverb, so take it up with them if you have an issue with it:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_good_deed_goes_unpunished

You seem to have no idea how commonplace sayings or expressions work. They are meant as generalisms, not subject to the kind of hair-splitting punctilious approach you seem to be taking. On the saying in question, I have often heard it used in relation to the ungrateful response of kids to their parents, I even saw it used in this way in a movie quite recently. 

33 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Oh... you're back.

I've agreed on two points already, that taking care of one's partner is indeed a responsibility, and that I absolutely don't care whether you define the saying as a proverb or not. Incidently the link I sent does define it as a proverb, so take it up with them if you have an issue with it:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_good_deed_goes_unpunished

You seem to have no idea how commonplace sayings or expressions work. They are meant as generalisms, not subject to the kind of hair-splitting punctilious approach you seem to be taking. On the saying in question, I have often heard it used in relation to the ungrateful response of kids to their parents, I even saw it used in this way in a movie quite recently. 

Oh... you're back... with yet another link to your Wiktionary definition.

Thanks!

Wiktionary says it's a proverb, so it must be one.

You've heard it used in a movie and many times by parents, so you must know how to use it. That makes sense. Why not use it in reference to a man protecting his girlfriend then?

LOL> I'm being hair-splittingly punctilious, but you're just trying to explain yourself. 

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

Oh... you're back... with yet another link to your Wiktionary definition.

Thanks!

Wiktionary says it's a proverb, so it must be one.

You've heard it used in a movie and many times by parents, so you must know how to use it. That makes sense. Why not use it in reference to a man protecting his girlfriend then?

LOL> I'm being hair-splittingly punctilious, but you're just trying to explain yourself. 

Your right about one thing, I'm trying to explain myself to you as a courtesy, though I'm wondering why, as all I'm getting back are obtuse and muddle headed responses. 

Frankly I don't care whether you call it a proverb or not, but your explanation is hardly convincing. If you want a better source than Wiktionary, check any dictionary of proverbs. A reliable one is The Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs, where you'll find it on page 155.

Regarding sayings, proverbs, expressions or idioms generally, they're commonly used in a broad brush-stroke manner, not meant to be taken apart literally. I suggest you read a bit more widely and find out how these things are used in practice. I used the family example as it's the one you yourself gave of the blurring between good deeds and responsibilities, since this is what you were hung up on in the first place.

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Your right about one thing, I'm trying to explain myself to you as a courtesy, though I'm wondering why, as all I'm getting back are obtuse and muddle headed responses. 

Frankly I don't care whether you call it a proverb or not, but your explanation is hardly convincing. If you want a better source than Wiktionary, check any dictionary of proverbs. A reliable one is The Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs, where you'll find it on page 155.

Regarding sayings, proverbs, expressions or idioms generally, they're commonly used in a broad brush-stroke manner, not meant to be taken apart literally. I suggest you read a bit more widely and find out how these things are used in practice. I used the family example as it's the one you yourself gave of the blurring between good deeds and responsibilities, since this is what you were hung up on in the first place.

Thank you for the "courtesy" of trying to explain yourself to me...

We can go around in circles forever, but I just did the right thing and deleted another reply. I'm sure the other readers here have had more than enough of this already, so I'm taking my leave. You're welcome to have the last word. I won't extend the courtesy of replying further.:smile:

Cheers!

Years ago on the TV Show Cheers.  Two girls started fighting in the bar. Cliff and Norm quickly yell out cat fight and run over to watch.  Diane, the waitress is disgusted with it and demand to know why guys get so excited over two girls fighting.  Cliff says to Norm "can I field this one".  Norm nods yes.  Cliff says:  "The reason guys get excited when they see two girls start fighting and rolling around on the ground is because no matter how nasty or violent the fight looks, there is a chance, however slight that the girls may make up and will start kissing and making out".  Diane disgustingly walks away.

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Years ago on the TV Show Cheers.  Two girls started fighting in the bar. Cliff and Norm quickly yell out cat fight and run over to watch.  Diane, the waitress is disgusted with it and demand to know why guys get so excited over two girls fighting.  Cliff says to Norm "can I field this one".  Norm nods yes.  Cliff says:  "The reason guys get excited when they see two girls start fighting and rolling around on the ground is because no matter how nasty or violent the fight looks, there is a chance, however slight that the girls may make up and will start kissing and making out".  Diane disgustingly walks away.

This is a fight between a guy's girlfriend and another girl. I think the term "catfight" in this context is demeaning to women. It's just another example of the reporters annoying choice of words used to hype up the story.

If my wife was involved in any such fight, I would immediately step in to prevent her being injured. Losing nails and severe scratching to the body and face would be a huge problem for her. You never know, in this fight the lady may have been stabbed if he hadn't have stepped in.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:31 PM, tropo said:

Thank you for the "courtesy" of trying to explain yourself to me...

We can go around in circles forever, but I just did the right thing and deleted another reply. I'm sure the other readers here have had more than enough of this already, so I'm taking my leave. You're welcome to have the last word. I won't extend the courtesy of replying further.:smile:

Cheers!

Do YOU even know what you said? Completely baffled and confused even though English is my native language, understanding what you wrote needs more than my understanding of your whatever you call it reply.

12 minutes ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

Do YOU even know what you said? Completely baffled and confused even though English is my native language, understanding what you wrote needs more than my understanding of your whatever you call it reply.

I suggest you leave it alone and go back to sleep - it was a discontinuation of a very long back and forth with another member over several pages.

(A lot of people with English as their native language still have trouble with it, so don't feel too bad)

On December 5, 2017 at 1:58 AM, gk10002000 said:

Thanks for this.

Far more exciting to watch a catfight than to read through the sorry exchange of two members on this thread. 

Personally, I would not choose a girlfriend who gets in catfights and I would not step into the melee.