‘Crackdown’ on Bangkok criminals nets mainly drug suspects

snoop1130

‘Crackdown’ on Bangkok criminals nets mainly drug suspects

By Jessada Chantharak
The Nation

88a4875981aa0da68462423cce195689.jpeg

A recent police operation to crack down on Bangkok criminals has led to the arrest of 1,290 suspects, including 1,039 drug suspects, acting city police chief Lt-General Charnthep Sesawet told a press conference at the Metropolitan Police Bureau on Friday.

During the November 20-29 crime sweep, police arrested 83 suspects in crimes against life, body and “sex”; 107 theft suspects and 20 suspected violators of human trafficking, intellectual property, or natural resources and environment laws, said Charnthep’s deputy, Pol Maj-General Panurat Lakboon. 

Officers also nabbed 39 weapon suspects along with 32 guns, 245 cases of ammunition and five explosives, he said. The majority of suspects were 1,039 alleged drug users and dealers who were nabbed along with a combined 25,169 yaba pills, 15,032 kilograms of kratom leaves, 23 ecstasy pills, slightly over two kilograms of “ice” crystal meth, and 50 grams of ketamin. Officers also arrested two people accused of involvement in loan shark businesses.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332972

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

How many man hours are lost for these ritualistic shows ! 14 in that picture  - so if they there for an hour, thats 2 lost days of work !

It is my opinion that "these ritualistic shows" do have benefits. It's a deterant to others. It's a confidence boost,  and comfort, to decent law abiding Citizens that the Police do have their successes; and that the Police are doing something proactive to try and combat crime. It's Public Relations exercise. I believe that it is quite common practice in most Countries of the world. 

"...police arrested 83 suspects in crimes against life, body and “sex”..." Well, glad that's all crystal clear then.

Also, some of the terminology used is terrible like "245 cases of ammunition" would suggest boxes of ammo to most people...guess they have never heard of collocation so "rounds" would be to hard to think of. 

2 hours ago, over2you said:

It is my opinion that "these ritualistic shows" do have benefits. It's a deterant to others. It's a confidence boost,  and comfort, to decent law abiding Citizens that the Police do have their successes; and that the Police are doing something proactive to try and combat crime. It's Public Relations exercise. I believe that it is quite common practice in most Countries of the world. 

I do not disagree with you - my point was not they do them - but there are so many officers that it is distracting from other work. Do you really need that many in front of a camera ? Two would do - or one from each dept. 

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I do not disagree with you - my point was not they do them - but there are so many officers that it is distracting from other work. Do you really need that many in front of a camera ? Two would do - or one from each dept. 

15 minutes of fame. ?

19 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

If they actually did a proper crime crackdown in Bangkok then over half the population would be jailed overnight.

and three quarters of the farang too........

Oops, sorry, I thought this was the thread for pulling figures out of one's rectum

On 12/2/2017 at 1:53 PM, over2you said:

Nah.  It was not real crime mainly drug busts which can be done anywhere anytime. This low hanging fruit is an excuse not to do real police work. If it deterred criminals why is the Thai prison population at an all time high?