Australian Embassy Consular Outreach Chiang Mai

Mooserj

Just a reminder that the Australian Embassy consular team will be visiting Chiang Mai on 8th December 2017, at Le Meridien Hotel at 108 Chang Klan Road, to provide some notarial and passport services for Australians.

During the outreach visits, they will provide the following services:

* Passport applications - Please ensure you bring the completed Renewal Passport Application form (PC7) or Overseas Passport Application form (PC8) which can be downloaded from the website, (www.passports.gov.au) and all supporting documents (original and copies) before coming to an outreach visit.
* Notarial services
- Statutory declarations for marriage, retirement visas, and witnessing for driving licence renewals
- Witnessing documents
- Certified true copies of documents (please ensure you bring the original and a photocopy of each document with you)

Credit card payment is preferred. Please contact the Consular section on 02 344 6300 or email [email protected] prior to your visit if you require further details and/or to confirm fees payable.

Is there an outreach office in Chang Mai to apply for tourist visas during normal business days or must one go to Bangkok.

My wife's 12 year old son's who are Thai will require a tourist visa, and we will be seeking to take them with us to Australia next year for a four week holiday, my wife has dual citizenship's and holds both Australian and Thai passports if that offers any support.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Yes, there is an Australian Visa Application Centre in Chiang Mai - see below from the Embassy website

Visa applications, except for Refugee and Humanitarian Entry and Partner/Prospective Marriage Visas, can also be lodged at an Australian Visa Application Centre in Thailand operated by VFS Global.

Effective from 1 November 2017, applicants for Australian visas should make an appointment for the lodgement of a visa application or enrolment of biometrics at VFS.  For more information, please go to the VFS webpage - www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand  

Bangkok

The Trendy Office Building 28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana,
Bangkok 10110
(BTS NANA, exit number 3)

Telephone: 02 118 7100

Email: [email protected]

Chiang Mai

Siriphanich, 191 Huaykaew Road,
Suthep, Muang, Chiang Mai

(opposite MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Centre)

A lodgement fee will be charged in addition to the scheduled fee charged by the Australian Government for all visa applications. For more information about lodgement procedures, fees charged, contact details, office locations and office hours, please visit www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand  

Visa information & how to apply

For information about different visa option, you can use the Visa Finder tool on the Department’s website here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

Clients are advised not to book flights or make travel commitments until your visa application is finalised. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.

For more information, please visit the website of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection: www.border.gov.au

4 minutes ago, Mooserj said:
Yes, there is an Australian Visa Application Centre in Chiang Mai - see below from the Embassy website

Visa applications, except for Refugee and Humanitarian Entry and Partner/Prospective Marriage Visas, can also be lodged at an Australian Visa Application Centre in Thailand operated by VFS Global.

Effective from 1 November 2017, applicants for Australian visas should make an appointment for the lodgement of a visa application or enrolment of biometrics at VFS.  For more information, please go to the VFS webpage - www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand  

Bangkok

Bangkok 10110

Chiang Mai

A lodgement fee will be charged in addition to the scheduled fee charged by the Australian Government for all visa applications. For more information about lodgement procedures, fees charged, contact details, office locations and office hours, please visit www.vfsglobal.com/Australia/Thailand  

For information about different visa option, you can use the Visa Finder tool on the Department’s website here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1

Clients are advised not to book flights or make travel commitments until your visa application is finalised. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.

For more information, please visit the website of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection: www.border.gov.au

Yes - good information - but separate to the Australian Embassy consular team visit  -  if that was the question? 

Bangkok

Bangkok 10110

Chiang Mai

In other words a taxpayer funded junket.  The public servants do that so well. 

Of course the 8th is a Friday.  Funny coincidence...... May as well stay for the weekend guys. 

Surprise surprise..... Cynical? Moi?

Edited by tryasimight

5 hours ago, superglue said:

What has happened regarding the Honorary Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai?

..i recently renewed my passport..HonConCNX cannot process these 'as yet' i was told.

You will need to allow 21 days..as it was i was cutting it too fine, so i went down/back to AustEmbassy and did all in one day and received my new passport 14 days after my visit. in that period your old passport is cancelled. The fee was 6980THB for an Adult Ordinary Passport with and extra 2590THB for Overseas Processing, a total of 9570THB, this included posting from BKK to your address via ThaiPost EMS. Other documents required were - the downloaded application form (71G) + photo copy from the web-site passports.gov.au  + two new passport size photos, an extra photo is requested to stick on the inner envelope that comes back from Australia (you get this back when forwarded to your address as embassy place that sealed envelope in another that you are asked to pre-address at the embassy).

Khun Lek is the Senior Consular Passport Officer at the Australian Embassy Bkk, Ph 02 3446310, email: [email protected]  and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. 

*You may already know this - keep in mind that Thai Immigration will only give you visa or an extension for the remaining time left on your Passport. Any further info. please PM me. I hope this information is of assistance.

Edited by tandor

14 hours ago, tryasimight said:

In other words a taxpayer funded junket.  The public servants do that so well. 

Of course the 8th is a Friday.  Funny coincidence...... May as well stay for the weekend guys. 

Surprise surprise..... Cynical? Moi?

This really isn't fair.  People from other countries wish the folks from their Embassies would come up to Chiang Mai regularly the way the Aussies do.  Have you ever gone to one of these outreach events?  I've been to the American outreaches and I suspect the Aussie outreaches are the same, where the consular staff works their tails off, arriving early and putting in a long day.  Yes, they'll return to Bangkok on the weekend, giving up their personal weekend time.

Regarding the question on Australian passport renewals here is some information:

Australian Passports – Adult Applicants

The following information should be read in conjunction with the Australian passport application form. Please complete and print the appropriate renewal form from the website www.passports.gov.au.

Full passport applications can be lodged either at the Consular Services Section, Australian Embassy in Bangkok between 8.30am - 12.00pm from  Monday to Friday, excluding Embassy public holidays  or at the Consular Outreach visit to Chiang Mai (next one on 8 December 17).  No appointment is necessary. 

Renewal (PC7) - to replace an existing undamaged adult Australian passport

Applicants must bring the following original documents and one photocopy of each to the passport interview:

If you are unable to print a Renewal application from the online site please email our office ([email protected]) for further assistance.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

This really isn't fair.  People from other countries wish the folks from their Embassies would come up to Chiang Mai regularly the way the Aussies do.  Have you ever gone to one of these outreach events?  I've been to the American outreaches and I suspect the Aussie outreaches are the same, where the consular staff works their tails off, arriving early and putting in a long day.  Yes, they'll return to Bangkok on the weekend, giving up their personal weekend time.

You show me an Aussie public servant working his/her tail off and I'll show you a miracle.

I've been to the Aussie embassy in BKK and called them several times - not once have I spoken to an Aussie.

Has anyone had experience of the Aussie outreach operation in Chiang Mai? Do lots of people turn up & are there long queues?

I'm asking as I need a document prepared by them on Friday 8th, but am booked on a flight out of CM late morning, meaning that I won't have a lot of time to hang around & wait if there are queues?

Of course I'll be getting there early, but just how early is necessary?

No guarantees I know, but any guidance would be appreciated. 

On 12/2/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mooserj said:

Bangkok

Bangkok 10110

Chiang Mai

Have never used the office above in Chiang Mai for a visa but found them helpful and efficient when we obtained Aus citizenship for our daughter

Check the dates before you visit as they will not process applications on Australian Public holidays

On 12/4/2017 at 9:15 AM, evenstevens said:

from my experiences, arrive at opening time, explain your sitiuation,sure they will make allowances for you. they are a great crew to deal with

Might be worth emailing Ronald the Honary Consul [email protected]

as when I visited earlier this year there were a lot of people there before opening time

As evenstevens said they are very helpful

On 12/3/2017 at 5:42 PM, tryasimight said:

You show me an Aussie public servant working his/her tail off and I'll show you a miracle.

I've been to the Aussie embassy in BKK and called them several times - not once have I spoken to an Aussie.

They employ both Australian and local staff, the Australian and Thai  staff, the latter who I have dealt with spoke very good English have in my experience always been very helpful.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:43 AM, NancyL said:

I think your comments are pretty spot on  but unfortunately you cannot always please the cynics.

If they didn’t visit Chiang  Mai I would have the cost of airfares to Bangkok plus overnight accommodation as living in Fang pretty hard to do it in one day

In my opinion a great service.

Funny comments about Australian public servants. It's a small sample size but I've been to Melbourne Cup parties at the Australian Embassy in Beijing. Talk about mad hatters, literally, those people sure like to party. At one of these the ambassador who acted as the MC was drunk as a skunk and was telling off color jokes over his mic.

Troll bait: Do Australians actually refer to themselves as Aussies or is it Ozzies? Do people from Kansas and Australia have any affinity?