Kanchanaburi

alfmaz

Actually wrong place. Should be in "Central-Thailand".

Kancha consists of 2 parts of a mid-sized Thai-City.

One part is where the Thais live, one is where the Tourists live.

Stay away from Hotels near the River.

Go to: "Chatanun Guest House". Maenam  Kwae Road. (Taxi Drivers will find it easily).

Rooms range from 400 to 1600 Bht per night (Bungaloo's). Very clean and they speak excellent English. You will feel like "at home".

Along Maenam Kwae Road, you will find all the amenities a Tourist wants and needs.

(And the River is still only 5 minutes away.)

Try it. Cheers

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Stay away from Hotels near the River.

And miss one of Kanchanaburi's best amenities?

I go to K-Buri to sit on the hotel veranda or on a lawn chair in the grass and watch the river go by.  Sometimes for hours on end.  It may cost a little more, but if you're not going to be on the river, why choose K-Buri?

I do agree to avoid the places on the river that charge 3,000 baht and up (some of them WAY up- won't mention any names) but any booking website will show plenty of places on the river for around 1,000 or less.  My favorite is the former Camelia, which was remodeled and re-opened earlier this year as the Zeit.  But that's just a personal thing because they have great facilities to launch my kayaks and inflatables.  It was 1300 last time I was there, but that was while they were still remodeling- maybe 6 months ago.

Edited by impulse

My friend and l touring on our motorbikes stayed in a Guest house a terraced chalet type hotel place I'd call it by the river and it was so good we stayed on the return journey 600 bht maybe extra now for high season.

Restaurant excellent choice, well maintained clean rooms right by the swimming pool. Pong Phen Guesthouse.

I guess everyone has their standards l wouldn't want feeling at home in Thailand thanks there's so many places to stay in Kanchanaburi.

https://www.traveloka.com/en-th/hotel/search?spec=04-12-2017.05-12-2017.1.1.HOTEL_GEO.10000176.Kanchanaburi.1 

Pong Phen 850 per night at mo.

Plenty of options along the river, and all at reasonable prices. The disco boats as afar as I remeber are banned from from the area around the bridge etc, so as someone said plenty of guesthouses etc of Manaem Khwai. 

Interesting about Camelia, used to stay there a bit some years back, was a really good location and had lots of potential but was shockingly managed. I will have a look at that, as I am due a trip down that way soon

15 hours ago, electric said:

hi swissie. Why ?

OP wants room for 1000 Bht or less. "Nice Hotels" at the river will likely cost more. Near the river is extremely "touristy" (dual pricing, everybody wants to sell you something).

What I like about Maenam Kwae Road is the relaxed, easy going athmosphere. Next to "regular" tourists, always some (well groomed) Backpackers around from all over the world, can make for interesting conversations.
- Plenty of tourists from the "River-Hotels" end up at Maenam Kwae Road for the evening. Many of them have let me know, that next time they will stay at a Guest-House on Maenam Kwae Road.

A matter of preferance, I guess.

Kancha still lives off the lagacy of "The Bridge on the River Kwai". The river itself is not more spectacular than other rivers in Thailand (there must be a hundred).
Cheers.

There are loads of riverside options available. To write them all off would be slightly foolish since it is one of the main features of the town. The lazy flow of the river is something I enjoy being close to when visiting. Stayed at 4 different places now. All within the OP's price range. Some in town, some slightly out, some on the tourist side, some opposite.