Bank forbids me from sending money home

victory015

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Could you please give the name of the bank in private message ? As I will avoid such a bunch of cheats.

Kasikorn has one such provision on my account. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Overseas transfers into Thai banks are recorded in the recipient's passbook and coded as such, in addition, the recipient will have received some form of notice to confirm the transfer hence there are at least two separate ways to confirm the transfer took place, without needing to get an additional letter. The question in my mind now is whether the funds actually came from outside of Thailand, whatever some of us may think about Thai banks, they are not totally stupid and despite some reports to the contrary, they do act professionally most of the time.

The second point is, if the OP sold his condo through legitimate channels and the sale was transacted at the Land Office, he already has the blue receipt showing tax paid, obtaining that receipt is therefore not an additional step but is one that has already been completed.

I haven't disagreed with anything you've posted so far simoh1490 and I'm not about to.

However perhaps I see things differently, but from what I understand, the bank has steadfastly said NO when he has enquired after transferring funds out of the country, and it has not gotten to the point where he has turned up with either the FET or any other paperwork for that matter, so it seems as if they are being deliberately obstructive or they are just ignorant of the processes and procedures needed.

It would be different if the bank had said, yes we can do it, but you need to fill out these forms and have this paperwork to back up the transfer, because then he could proceed and know where he had gone wrong/what else was needed.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I haven't disagreed with anything you've posted so far simoh1490 and I'm not about to.

However perhaps I see things differently, but from what I understand, the bank has steadfastly said NO when he has enquired after transferring funds out of the country, and it has not gotten to the point where he has turned up with either the FET or any other paperwork for that matter, so it seems as if they are being deliberately obstructive or they are just ignorant of the processes and procedures needed.

It would be different if the bank had said, yes we can do it, but you need to fill out these forms and have this paperwork to back up the transfer, because then he could proceed and know where he had gone wrong/what else was needed.

Yes, it seems that way but increasingly I'm beginning to think the OP isn't telling us everything about this picture because it's such a simple problem to solve. I for one don't believe that banks just stone wall customer requests such as this, not without good reason.

BTW I'm perfectly happy for you to disagree with me, if you see things differently, that's what healthy debate is about.

21 hours ago, coulson said:

Open an account with Bangkok Bank.

This may be the best advice available.   My wife and I go back more than thirty years with Kasikorn Bank (Thai Farmers), and our memories are full of absurd technicalities and surly branch bank managers besot with their sense of importance.  We opened Bangkok Bank accounts four years ago, which we use almost exclusively now, and it was like moving from a cloud of suffocating fumes into fresh air.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, victory015 said:

They don't care whether you close account or not

Oh they do in my experience......I have threatened this a couple of times in the past and had them jumping.

I was in a bank just last week wanting to open a new a/c with a largish sum.  I wanted a joint a/c, one atm card, and internet banking.  The girl looked up her book of rules and said no cannot....only one name on a/c if a thai/farang marriage.  I asked if she wanted to check with her manager first because otherwise I would just go to another bank.  As leverage I had taken a copy of an online bank statement showing the balance I wanted to transfer to this new a/c.   Moments later it was all sorted out the way I wanted it.

I have had a lot of problems with banks here over the years and theproblems could all be classified as 'being given the run around'.  A friend explained it to me that it all depends on the manager of each branch.  If he feels he has the staff to communicate with farang (ie speaking English) he will accommodate them with opening a/cs or internet banking etc.  If not, they will often just give you the run around rather than tell you the real reason.  This explains to me why one branch will do it while another branch of same bank wont.

13 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Go to the bank, draw your money out and go home and pack your bags....easy peasy.....???

IMG_6379.JPG

11 hours ago, david555 said:

This travels lighter......

euros by centimeter.png

Actually, the EU central bank has already stopped production of the 500 bill and is supposed to completely phase out the 500 bill by 2018. See this infographic:

war-on-cash-infographic.jpg

Edited by 4evermaat

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Actually, the EU central bank has already stopped production of the 500 bill and is supposed to completely phase out the 500 bill by 2018. See this infographic:

Correct for printing and distributing ....... but keeping value ......

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2016/html/pr160504.en.html     first part down "The €500 banknote, like the other denominations of euro banknotes, will always retain its value and can be exchanged at the national central banks of the Eurosystem for an unlimited period of time......"

And because becoming so more rare..... they shall be given a higher value on the black market and still be used between the .............!.

euros by centimeter.png

Edited by david555

On 12/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Oh they do in my experience......I have threatened this a couple of times in the past and had them jumping.

I was in a bank just last week wanting to open a new a/c with a largish sum.  I wanted a joint a/c, one atm card, and internet banking.  The girl looked up her book of rules and said no cannot....only one name on a/c if a thai/farang marriage.  I asked if she wanted to check with her manager first because otherwise I would just go to another bank.  As leverage I had taken a copy of an online bank statement showing the balance I wanted to transfer to this new a/c.   Moments later it was all sorted out the way I wanted it.

I have had a lot of problems with banks here over the years and theproblems could all be classified as 'being given the run around'.  A friend explained it to me that it all depends on the manager of each branch.  If he feels he has the staff to communicate with farang (ie speaking English) he will accommodate them with opening a/cs or internet banking etc.  If not, they will often just give you the run around rather than tell you the real reason.  This explains to me why one branch will do it while another branch of same bank wont.

"I was in a bank just last week wanting to open a new a/c with a largish sum.  I wanted a joint a/c, one atm card, and internet banking... "

My Thai son has developed a dislike for Thai banks and here's an example:

- Son wanted to open another savings account for one of his daughters, already has about 10 accounts with the same bank. Son puts all the bankbooks on the bank lady's desk.

- Bank lady instantly pulls out an application form in Thai, son says he wants the application form in Thai and English. Bank lady says cannot, it's illegal for bank forms to be in any language other than Thai (only Thai). Son says 'not true' and takes a completed application form English only from his bag. Bank lady says 'the rules have changed', son then goes to the desk where he opened an account a few weeks earlier and asks that lady for the application form in English, lady instantly gives him the form. Original bank lady says maybe she didn't see the instruction. ....

- Bank lady now asks my son to sign the application form, with no details inserted. Son says he doesn't sign blank forms, lady says it's the procedure of the bank. Son takes the form and starts to fill in the details whilst bank lady shows that she's frustrated. At one stage she says she will complete the form later. Son says no, he wants the form completed now or he doesn't sign.

- Further down the form son notices that the box to indicate YES or NO to ATM card is already ticked YES. Son says he doesn't want an ATM card with this account. Bank lady says it's now compulsory, instruction from the government.

Son likes to challenge bank staff so he calls the HO of the bank, asks if it's compulsory, HO man says NO, son asks HO man to give the answer again on speaker phone. Son then says to HO man 'your staff here at xxxx branch say it's compulsory'. Branch lady says 'never mind it will be OK next time'.  By this stage call to HO has finished.  Son says give me a new form, bank lady says cannot, can only use one form per customer......

And it continues, son walks out and goes to a different bank about 2 minutes walk away and opens the account, Thai and English wording, all done in a couple of minutes.

Edited by scorecard

The banking inconsistency here is nothing new. 

As previous posters have already said, it's more or less down to the manager, hence the different answers with the same bank, but a different branch.

Twenty years ago I went into the branch where I had my account and asked for change for the business (20 & 100 Baht notes, 5 & 10 Baht coins, about 10,000 Baht's worth).

The staff five times in succession just came out with the old 'no have'. Found another bank where I didn't have an account, they were happy to give me change on most occasions.

Eventually went into my bank along with my business partner, and asked for change again: 'No have'.

We both asked them to close our two accounts (3M Baht in each account), as they were not looking after us. Asked for a bankers draft for both balances and told the staff the other bank we were going to deposit it with.

Naturally, they immediately said we could have change every day. Too late. Moved banks.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit

On 12/5/2017 at 7:54 PM, oobar said:

This may be the best advice available.   My wife and I go back more than thirty years with Kasikorn Bank (Thai Farmers), and our memories are full of absurd technicalities and surly branch bank managers besot with their sense of importance.  We opened Bangkok Bank accounts four years ago, which we use almost exclusively now, and it was like moving from a cloud of suffocating fumes into fresh air.

I wrote to kasikorn bank email, one email said foreign exchange transaction is sufficient to transfer to my home country. I then ask for a contact person in the bank to back me up when I go to kasikorn Branch. They replied work permit may be  needed.

It is a nightmares talking to kasikorn bank.

If you all want to see my correspondence between kasikorn bank and me , I am happy to paste it in forum.