Extend VISA/overstay

Farangdanny

You can apply for a new one-year extension up to 45 days in advance of expiration, without "losing" any time since they date your new extension for one year after the date of your current extension.  So, there is a long window of opportunity to apply and often not a good reason to have a couple day overstay.  Technically, they could tell you that you're on overstay and have to leave the country to apply for a new visa.  The fact that they're being kind enough to allow you to pay a fine for a few days overstay is a small courtesy.

55 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You can apply for a new one-year extension up to 45 days in advance of expiration, without "losing" any time since they date your new extension for one year after the date of your current extension.  So, there is a long window of opportunity to apply and often not a good reason to have a couple day overstay.  Technically, they could tell you that you're on overstay and have to leave the country to apply for a new visa.  The fact that they're being kind enough to allow you to pay a fine for a few days overstay is a small courtesy.

I know of one case where the applicant had to leave the country and go through the entire process again = no renewal = re-application

While it's clear the daily fine would start upon expiration of the retirement visa (or extension), what's more puzzling to me is the comment about extending a retirement visa/extension "two days late."  As far as I know, that simply can't be done and one would be on incurable overstay and would have to leave and re-enter the country to have any kind of legal status.  

Which raises a side question (perhaps a bit off-topic),  can one avoid the fine and renew a retirement extension on a Monday if it expired on a weekend or, perhaps, the day after a formal holiday if the extension expired on that holiday? 

31 minutes ago, CMBob said:

While it's clear the daily fine would start upon expiration of the retirement visa (or extension), what's more puzzling to me is the comment about extending a retirement visa/extension "two days late."  As far as I know, that simply can't be done and one would be on incurable overstay and would have to leave and re-enter the country to have any kind of legal status.  

Which raises a side question (perhaps a bit off-topic),  can one avoid the fine and renew a retirement extension on a Monday if it expired on a weekend or, perhaps, the day after a formal holiday if the extension expired on that holiday? 

Don't quote me on that, but I would imagine that they'd be within their rights to deny you, saying that you've had 30 days, or 45 in some areas, to establish that your renewal falls on a weekend. But ubonjoe can provide a more definitive answer.

46 minutes ago, CMBob said:

It is done all the time for both short and long stay extensions. Just pay the overstay fine and apply for the extension.

47 minutes ago, CMBob said:

If the extension ends on a weekend or holiday if you apply for the extension on the first day immigration is open there is no overstay fine charged. After the first day possible the fine is levied for every day.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

There is no excuse for applying After the expire date .One has 45 Days Before the Extension expires to apply Without losing a single day The New extension starts On the day the previous extension expires.

Edited by digger70

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It starts on the day after you extension ends. There is no grace period.

Absolutely correct.  I learned the hard way and had to start from square one after thinking there was a grace period.

I was so flustered that I came and went on tourist visas until I bought the Elite Visa.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Yes.

One must remember to have their 800k seasoning early to ( if that is the basis of the financial part of their extension ).

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

A little off the topic, but last year I changed from the retirement extension to the spouse extension, and am due for my 90 day renewal on the 10th of this month, and the spouse extension renewal on the 31st January 2018.

Do you think the 45 days applies here, i.e. if I renew the 90 days on the 17th, (7 days before or after rule) and I apply for the new spouse extension, that they would grant it.

The reason I ask is that it would save me a 3 hour round trip again. 

Ubonjoe feel free too please.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, CMBob said:

As Ubonjoe said it's done all the time. I miscalculated my date once thought I was to report on the 16th of the month it was, in fact, the 6th. I asked UJ what I should do he replied just go and see if they will just fine you for the overstay. I went to CW they saw I was on overstay 8 days , fined me 4,000 baht and I paid 1900 for yearly extension of stay based on retirement as I had all the required documents. Girl smiled and said  "see you next year"