Changing Tourist Visa

Just returned from Chiang Mia immigration where I was trying to change my tourist visa (due to expire on Feb 8th) for a non immigrant O so that I could prepare the way to apply for a retirement visa. The officer said I needed a letter from the bank and/or embassy (although saying what, I'm not sure) and told me to apply for a 30 day extension and then apply for the NI O and then apply for the retirement visa in due course. despite the fact that I'd gone armed with UK bank statements showing savings, some of my income etc. I have both sufficient savings and income to qualify (incidentally, the officer said I needed 1 million baht in the bank, I thought it was 850,000)

I took the form but backed off this idea as I believe it will cost an extra fee to get the 30 days and will try to see if the Consulate can do me an income letter based on faxed tax returns from my accountant so that I can apply for the retirement visa directly on Wednesday. The girl on duty at the Consulate today sounded like she'd never come across the issue of if a bank statement is regarded as "original" when it's the only type available and I guess the same may be true of tax returns - given I file online will a fax be OK?

Does this seem like a sound approach? By the way, I haven't noticed it mentioned but the Consulate charges 1763 baht for supplying the income letter and proof of residency.

The requirement is 800k in a Thai bank account for three months - which you did not have. Believe they may allow you to use 1m in lieu of three month wait (800k plus 3 months 65k?). The income requirement is 65k per month and that requires letter from your Embassy/Consulate and supporting documents. So if you have Wednesday you should stand a good chance - if not the extra extension of stay will only be 1,900 baht. Do you have a local bank account? I suspect the comment about a bank letter had to do with that. You should have one and a letter from the bank confirming account balance (amount not critical) along with copies of passbook as it is one of the items listed and they could read it as required even hwne meeting the 65k requirement.

I managed to get enough paperwork together to change the tourist visa for a non-immigant O which they tell me I can pick up tomorrow. Thanks to all who gave advice on this and other threads.

Next job: retirement extension in about 60 days....

Is waiting 60 days per Immigration's instruction?

Well they said come back in 60 days and I was so pleased to be able to breathe easily for a bit that I thought I'd do just that. I have to leave the city for about a week or so by which time I'll have the perfect combination of income and cash in the bank so all the paperwork will be available (they actually said I could present the same documents anyway since my income is sufficient on its own) but it would be good to get it all out of the way. get a multiple re-entry visa and be able to visit Laos in March.

I think they probably meant within 60 days - does anyone know the rule?

Edited by Greenside

Normally that want extension paperwork between day 60 and 67 of a 90 day permitted to stay but, especially for retirement, are usually quite flexible. Even for others if you have tickets to fly they will try to accommodate you early.

You would think the 60 day wait rule would be waived when you convert to a Non Imm O in-country, since you have to have your extension bonafides in order -- and in hand -- to accomplish such a conversion. From what I've read on this forum, conversions and extensions seem to have been same-day events at Pattaya and Bangkok Immigration offices. Can't imagine (well, maybe I can....) that CM would be hard over on applying a rule that has no apparent rationale, and which was established in a different context than in-country conversions to Non Imm O visas........