Passenger train rams at herd of buffaloes killing 21 in Nakhon Sawan

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

A sad fact of life is that livestock wanders and trains don't steer or stop quickly, luckily the buffalo herder wasn't on the tracks trying to rescue his charges too.

Now, what happens when a high speed train comes across a chang at 350kph? There's going to be one pissed-off elephant and one very flat train driver.

All high speed trains in Europe are fenced off so that no one can have easy access to the train tracks. Hopefully Thailand follows those same rules. 

Passenger train rams at buffalo brings to my mind a vision of the engineer saying, OK mate, we need more speed because the first hit did not clear the tracks of the water Boo's, so what say we back up about 2 Klicks, add some more wood and coal to the fire box and try it again at a greater speed.

as a former engineer/conductor 35 yrs in nrth America,we often saw farmers who deliberately compromised fences in order to receive livestock strike compensation ,as the railroad was responsible for the maintainance of fencing ...I personaly felt worse hitting wildlife and livestock than a drunk driver who would run the crossing gates trying to beat the train...it is very tramatic for the headend crew,imagine if you will rounding a bend at 90kms,to see a herd of cattle so dense at first you think it is a body of water,as it is moving and almost fluid,then when you are on top of it you realize what it is....these dense strikes can derail the locomotives .,you just brace for the impact and pray

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Therefore they are 1.435 METRES.     

South Africa runs on METRE gauge.

Thank you for that. BUT.

Nearly all railways in South Africa use a 1,070 mm (3 ft 6 in) narrow gauge track (Cape gauge)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_South_Africa

Thailand. uses metre gauge, South Africa does not.

The Northern  Line was originally built as 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) standard gauge , but in September 1919 it was decided to standardize on 1,000 mm(3 ft 3 38 in) meter gauge and the Northern Line was regauged during the next ten years.

1.435 metre is Standard gauge as used by BTS, MRT, Airport Rail Link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Railway_of_Thailand

1 hour ago, yougivemebaby said:

All high speed trains in Europe are fenced off so that no one can have easy access to the train tracks. Hopefully Thailand follows those same rules. 

But that costs money!! Instead... this train got it's bullbar 'beefed up' for free 

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

But that costs money!! Instead... this train got it's bullbar 'beefed up' for free 

This train had no "bullbar". or "cow catcher" as it was a diesel railcar set.

Single Thai locomotives are fitted with "plows" at each end.

Image result for thai diesel locoImage result for thai diesel locoImage result for thai diesel loco

7 hours ago, seajae said:

this is what happens when the owner/farmer doesnt give a sh*t about anything, they know trains travel through but do nothing about where their animals are. Loss of  his animals and a big fine to cover all the damaged they caused should make him realize he has to take responsibility for what he does or doesnt do, something a lot of thais do not accept. 

After dark? it'll be blamed on ghosts frightening the herd onto the track or something else equally stupid, anything to avoid anyone taking responsibility and losing face...  TIT 

12 hours ago, khwaibah said:

12 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Buffalo-trudging.jpg

At some outdoor festival I saw a picture of a woman, slogging behind a water buffalo with a baby in her papoose or whatever the Thais call it.  Hard working woman.  I have tried and tried to find that picture online.  Anybody seen it?

4 hours ago, atyclb said:
17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

There will be a lot of GFs asking thir falangs for money for 'sick buffaloes' this weekend.

lol.   just flat out refuse. they are not sick, they are dead.     can sell for steaks

Now it will be, "Sweetheart, need money for new freezer to keep buffalo steaks fresh"...

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Nearly all railways in South Africa use a 1,070 mm (3 ft 6 in) narrow gauge track (Cape gauge)

So does (or at least did) Japan.

A problem for the invading forces in Singapore who brought their own rolling stock and then found it didn't fit.

If you look at many of SRT's working / preserved / abandoned steam locomotives you can see where they have been re-gauged by offsetting the tyres by 35mm or so.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

So does (or at least did) Japan.

A problem for the invading forces in Singapore who brought their own rolling stock and then found it didn't fit.

If you look at many of SRT's working / preserved / abandoned steam locomotives you can see where they have been re-gauged by offsetting the tyres by 35mm or so.

Google     Space shuttle railway horses ass

Interesting if maybe not 100% factual.  ??

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Google     Space shuttle railway horses ass

Interesting if maybe not 100% factual.  ??

I seem to recall James Burke doing the initial part of the link (Rome to Stephenson) in his "Connections" series http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078588/ I'm going to have to watch them all again now.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I seem to recall James Burke doing the initial part of the link (Rome to Stephenson) in his "Connections" series http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078588/ I'm going to have to watch them all again now.

Is Rome To Stephenson the name of the episode?

Looking at imdb via your link it only lists one series of Connections. I have found three series, but still cant see an episode with that name?

Just now, bluesofa said:

Is Rome To Stephenson the name of the episode?

Looking at imdb via your link it only lists one series of Connections. I have found three series, but still cant see an episode with that name?

Nah, I'll have to watch them all to find the right episode. The episode titles were, shall we say "loosely", connected to the content, added to the fun and intrigue.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Nah, I'll have to watch them all to find the right episode. The episode titles were, shall we say "loosely", connected to the content, added to the fun and intrigue.

Looks like some time-consuming research for you. Keep us updated!

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Looks like some time-consuming research for you. Keep us updated!

Luckily I like James Burke (I actually met him once) and it's a very long time since I watched the Connections series.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Luckily I like James Burke (I actually met him once) and it's a very long time since I watched the Connections series.

You little name dropper!

I remember him for Tomorrow's World and The Burke Special. I will have a look at some of the Connections series  soon.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

There's more detailed info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connections_(TV_series) 

I see series 2 episode 12  "Hot Pickle", mentions Stephenson, but I can't see anything specific about track gauge anywhere there, or elsewhere? I've just watched that episode too.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:50 AM, johncat1 said:

Rammed at a heard of Buffaloes ?   Strange headline .. You ram something but never " rammed at " 

The headline makes it sound as it was a deliberate act by the train driver.

Also the accident happened at night so I assume the buffaloes had no lights on them so being a very dark animal I doubt the train driver even saw them

Makes a change from killing Thai buffaloes that drive pick-ups  across the tracks  

Ridiculous headlines seem to be rife on the media these days, social, online news, TV type forums and the press.

The standard of journalism has plummeted with all the bloggers and non professionals looking for click bait and sensational headlines for an undeserved profit. 

Reminds me of the old insurance claim quote:

"The lamppost must have been doing 40 when it hit me!"

Of course in Thailand anything is possible to avoid losing face....

:jap: