Flu like symptoms after mosquito bite .1 week now

balo

OK so this is what happened to me.  

One week ago I visited a restaurant here in Pattaya and I felt something on my right arm . After 1 hour it got very swollen , I don't think I have reacted to a mosquito bite in the same way before.   After 6 hours about 10 cm of my arm got red and swollen , the same evening my first symptoms started of feeling tired and I got runny nose. I googled this topic and only found out some people will react in this way, if they are allergic. After 2 days it got worse and I got fever , but still not as bad as a real flu , I could sweat it out. My arm was still very swollen and very itchy  . I have used aloe vera gel and tiger balm to calm the itching down . After 5 days finally I saw some improvement with the arm swelling went down but not completely gone and there is is a red spot that looks like a boil on the skin  .  

Now I am pretty sure this is not malaria or one of the other serious conditions , but my flu and fever will not go away , also some headache at times . Now it's exactly 1 week ago it happened.

So my question is if it's common to get flu like symptoms after a mosquito bite ?  And how long after before the symptoms are gone ? 

Did you actually see a mosquito at the wound?

Is it possible it was a different type of insect? 

Your response was so immediate and so severe that it is atypical of a mozzie bite. 

Your symptoms are not typical of Dengue or Malaria in my experience. 

The description of the wound site is more like a spider bite in the US but I don't know about spiders in Thailand. 

If it is a boil, an open sore, then I would not use Tiger Balm as that can contribute to infection.  

Its always possible the bite and the flu-like symptoms are unrelated.

Edited by ClutchClark

Although it is too late this time, If you ever have an experience like this in the future then I would suggest taking an antihistamine as soon as the swelling started and applying ice to the wound.

Now that a week has gone by and the wound is improving, I would treat the flu-like symptoms and the wound as two seperate issues. Treat the wound to prevent infection by keeping it washed and covered. (Do not apply Tiger Balm). Treat the flu symptoms as you would any other time you get the flu...medicine, bedrest, fluids. 

If the wound (boil) does not begin to clear up quite soon then I would go for anti-biotic because MRSA can have an identical symptom as you describe. The clinic will take a sample of the infection to identify the bacteria and which anti-biotic is best.

Edited by ClutchClark

Thanks, no I did not see the mosquito ,  but it did not look like a spider bite to me.  Anyway I am not too worried , just never experienced this type of reaction from an insect bite . 

5 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Did you actually see a mosquito at the wound?

Is it possible it was a different type of insect? 

Your response was so immediate and so severe that it is atypical of a mozzie bite. 

Your symptoms are not typical of Dengue or Malaria in my experience. 

The description of the wound site is more like a spider bite in the US but I don't know about spiders in Thailand. 

This. 

Could you clearly see a small single welt from a mosquito bite?  Spider bites will be in pairs, but some small spiders' fangs are so close together it might also look like a single welt, I guess.

I was bitten by a spider at an outdoor cafe in Bangkok once, and though my symptoms were milder than yours and didn't last as long, they sound similar.

12 minutes ago, balo said:

Thanks, no I did not see the mosquito ,  but it did not look like a spider bite to me.  Anyway I am not too worried , just never experienced this type of reaction from an insect bite . 

Please do keep it properly washed and covered and inspect the boil daily for signs of infection. 

Can you purchase a product called "Hibiclens" over here? (CHLORHEXIDIN TOPICAL). Its a soap that is excellent for cleansing around older wounds like yours. 

The initial treatment should be alcohol or iodine.

Good luck on a quick recovery.

Edited by ClutchClark

Excellent responses have been given. I too doubt this was a mosquito, I see (and have personally had) a lot of reactions like this from spider bites in Thailand.

The runny nose part is likely unrelated.

Just make sure the redness is decreasing in size, if it is increases at all then best go to a hospital for antibiotics as  cellulitis (tissue infection) can sometimes result from these bites.