Extend an extension?

I'm on a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV). I'l leaving Thailand on Dec 20th with flight from BKK, but my 30 day visa extension on current entry expires on Dec 16th. Can I get another extension to tide me over those 4 days, or do I need to leave and re-enter Thailand? I'd like to avoid that if possible because of the expense, what are my options?

no extension on extension, but you could apply for the 30 day extension 1,900 baht and they will give you a refusal stamp but allow you 7 days to leave the country.

edit - so cheaper than a overstay fine, and doesn't look as bad in your passport

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no extension on extension, but you could apply for the 30 day extension 1,900 baht and they will give you a refusal stamp but allow you 7 days to leave the country.

edit - so cheaper than a overstay fine, and doesn't look as bad in your passport

cheaper if he can walk to immigration. 4 day overstay doesn't look bad at all. personally i reckon he's better off just paying the overstay when he leaves

21 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

cheaper if he can walk to immigration. 4 day overstay doesn't look bad at all. personally i reckon he's better off just paying the overstay when he leaves

Unless picked up by police, the chance might be small, but best not to overstay.

So you have 3 choices;

1. Apply for another 30 day extension, which will be refused, but you'll be given 7 days to leave the Country.

1,900 baht + cost and time to go to your nearest Immigration office.

2. Cross the border and return on a 30 day Visa exempt stamp. (Unless you have an entry left)

Cost of Visa to ?, cost and time of travel.

3. Chance your not arrested for overstay, detained and banned for 5 years + 2,000 baht fine.

Amazing how many people come for 30, 60, 90 or 180 days, yet still book return flights past their permission to stay dates.......then ask what they should do? Is it the new trend in travel arrangements!

• Like 1

Never good idea to overstay, even a few days. How many hundreds were rounded in Phuket lately? I can speak for Chiang Mai when foreigners drive a motorbike around town center in high season you could be stopped by police three times a day. (Ok don’t ride a motorbike, are you going to hole up in a guesthouse then, in recent years coworking spaces and bars also got raided). If caught in overstay you will have major problems. If you get an overstay stamp in you passport other countries you may apply for a visa might reject you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers. I don't want to risk getting into trouble due to overstaying. Even if the odds are fairly low. I still have 3 months left on the METV and was planning on returning in January so don't want to jeopardise that.

you could go to phu nam ron and do a in/out border hop for a fresh 60 days, 900 something baht have a bit of a break close to the river Kwai, for some sight seeing. if not this trip bare it in mind for another day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

As you still have a valid ME Visa, Immigration would tell you to do a border hop, so that appears your only option to legally stay.

I think you are incorrect. Immigration would still do the 7 days after paying 1900 baht. They would not care if a person still had a valid visa for entry.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you are incorrect. Immigration would still do the 7 days after paying 1900 baht. They would not care if a person still had a valid visa for entry.

That may depend on the Immigration office.

A friend who had a 60 day extension to his Non Imm O ME realised his permission to stay fell 3 days short of his flight back to the UK.

I gave him similar advice, apply for another extension, be refused and given 7 days.

Immigration flatly refused the application and told him to do a border hop as he still had a valid Visa with allowable entries.

There is no hard and fast rule in this situation, it's at their discretion.

23 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Nobody can ever be better to wait hving to almost hide allowing themself intentionally to get an overstay.
That has nothing to do with a personal opinion. It has to do with common sense.
It´s always better do do the extra work, go to immigration and get the 7 days extra. Then you are always on the safe and legal side.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Nobody can ever be better to wait hving to almost hide allowing themself intentionally to get an overstay.
That has nothing to do with a personal opinion. It has to do with common sense.
It´s always better do do the extra work, go to immigration and get the 7 days extra. Then you are always on the safe and legal side.

i am just saying what i would do in that situation, it's up to him what he does

22 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

It is never good advise to recommend overstay.

Do it the legal way.

i came here in 99. not once have i been asked for my passport ouside of immo. we are talking a few days overstay for a tourist. go immo for what? just pay the bloody fine on leaving. that's my opinion and i mean it. absolutely. a few days left so enjoy it

Just now, Get Real said:

It´s still not fair to give the wrong advice. If you wish to break the law, you shall not advise others to do the same.

i'm not breaking the law mate. i just gave advice. whether it was lawful or not. it's what i would do in that situation with absolutely no problems. so let the guy go waste his time at immo. 

29 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

by the way, it was the right advice in my opinion

No, your opinion is irrelevant. Recommending a person to overstay is never right, when there is another option available.
For sure, I sincerely hope that the OP don´t take that advice.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

No, your opinion is irrelevant. Recommending a person to overstay is never right, when there is another option available.
For sure, I sincerely hope that the OP don´t take that advice.

well he would have saved himself time and money if he did. anyway this topic is boring so this is my last post on this. he should have just paid the 2k on leaving ,easy. that's all

*No, your opinion is irrelevant* close the forum then if opinions don't matter

Edited by Happy enough