Call center scam goes wrong as con artists dial Phuket policeman's number

rooster59

Call center scam goes wrong as con artists dial Phuket policeman's number 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1512814693_1-org.jpg

Chief of Region 8 Investigation Department Col Boonlert Onklang. Photo: Screengrab from a video by Pee Bua Bua Nong King King

PHUKET: A call center scam attempt went wrong when scammers pretending to be police officers unknowingly called Chief of Region 8 Investigation Department Col Boonlert Onklang.

The scam attempt was filmed and broadcast live on Facebook by user ‘Pee Bua Bua Nong King King’, who refers to Col Boonlert as ‘father’ in the video, on Thursday (Dec 7).

The callers, one of whom claimed to be Deputy Commander for the Royal Thai Police Prajuab, told Col Boonlert that he was under investigation for having sent a package containing B100,000 in cash and a suspicious banking book to a woman overseas called Ms Wilai Chantawong.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/call-center-scam-goes-wrong-as-con-artists-dial-phuket-policeman-number-65050.php#KVp427kAs23Sv4KZ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-09

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Call center scam goes wrong

Was I the only one expecting the scammers to show up and be arrested?

If you are a scammer it goes wrong 99 out of 100 times, but that one time pays off so well it is worth the effort.

Therefore not really newsworthy that it "went wrong".

Isn't this interesting? This policeman Boonlert is the best known police scammer on Phuket. Been involved in 5 or 6 high level scams and moved to inactive posts numerous times. The most investigated copper I'm told by the PACC. Involved in a drug dealing case with former tourist police volunteer Garry Halpin the South Afrcan with the counterfeit dollars , 3 cases in property theft by Thai women over their husband and boasts of driving a red Ferrari I'm sure others can add to his CV.. 

Knowing how this bent cop operates my bet is he's covering his ass and is being shaken down by fellow cops or one of the hundreds he has scammed. Just Google his name. He's a major player in police corruption especially on Phuket. Chalong police station.