Saudi Arabia says cinemas will be allowed from early 2018

webfact

On 12/11/2017 at 4:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Joke right?

They might allow cinemas but if one thinks it'll be like in the west, think again.

I used to fly Saudia, and they even censored SKIPPY :cheesy:.  The Robin Williams film Mrs Doubtfire was unwatchable after they cut large parts of it.

Perhaps they will just show the same garbage they show on tv, and if it's at prayer time they will probably cut to Mecca.  Wow, I'm missing it already.

Well I guess if you don't mind watching a movie where they blur out anyone holding an alcoholic drink in his hand, or a woman in a bathing suit, then I guess it is okay. Shreek might make in on film there, but then there was a few Pub Scenes they may have to  block out first.  

The most interesting part will be to see how they block off the men and women from sitting together and inforce that in a dark room. Hum???

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

And after a comprehensive review pending investigation and appeal and national referendum, popcorn will be introduced in 2019.

And they will actually start showing movies in the cinemas sometime around 2030.

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

And they will actually start showing movies in the cinemas sometime around 2030.

Yeah! Then it is best to start them out with some Old John Wayne movies to show them something they won't believe, and after that showing them Bruce Lee Movies, and really something for sure they will not believe.

Wrestling and Altimate Fighting would be a big hit there. But of course not Female Wrestling as that would not be allowed.  

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, RuamRudy said:

The concept of better in this matter is as subjective as it is relative, although I was not so crass as to suggest that the Ritz Riyadh was the panacea we all might hope for to accomplish better. Many people complain that SA is a backward, medieval country yet when a glimmer of reform appears on the horizon, they are still criticised.  

a glimmer of reform appears on the horizon

No more real than a mirage.

The most effective leaders give the peasants baubles to allay their desire for liberation while the things that repress continue unabated.

Driving for women and cinemas are nothings in the greater scheme of things.

When the mutawas are banned from the streets and a church is built in Riyadh I'll believe they are serious.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Well I guess if you don't mind watching a movie where they blur out anyone holding an alcoholic drink in his hand, or a woman in a bathing suit, then I guess it is okay. Shreek might make in on film there, but then there was a few Pub Scenes they may have to  block out first.  

The most interesting part will be to see how they block off the men and women from sitting together and inforce that in a dark room. Hum???

Men upstairs, women down, perhaps, or maybe men only. Perhaps segregated cinemas.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

a glimmer of reform appears on the horizon

No more real than a mirage.

The most effective leaders give the peasants baubles to allay their desire for liberation while the things that repress continue unabated.

Driving for women and cinemas are nothings in the greater scheme of things.

When the mutawas are banned from the streets and a church is built in Riyadh I'll believe they are serious.

Got to start somewhere. What you wish for is either a revolution or the end result. I would venture that even if they keep the course, it will take a long while before some will be fully satisfied.