Removing A Mark From A White Wall

Remo

I dropped my laptop yesterday off my desk and the black plastic made a lovely couple of inche scrape on my landladys

white walls

I wanted to clean it up but not leave a mark as previously have cleaned up marks in my last place and left stains

Anyone know of any tips to clean a white walll which has been newly marked without painting it

Apart from not scrubbing like mad not sure what to do, but I havent done that yet as I know its wrong

Anyone have any handy tips?

Yes it is a bit of an odd question, but you havent met my landlady who will find some reason yet again this week to call around :o

Edited by Remo

Try some water with a small amount of liquid detergent

Sponge on and rub and wipe off.

If the paint is pretty resilient you might be able to try some very diluted bathroom cleaner.

End result a bit dependent on what kind of paint you are cleaning.

I dont want to seem a "killjoy" but i have had several rental properties in CM and only one landlord (Jao kong baan) returned SOME of the bond money. They will do anything to try and get out of paying it back to you. So just leave it..I know it doesn't seem the "right thing" to do.. But i spent hours and a small fortune in getting the houses all back to better condition than when i moved in..Don't say you haven't been warned...

thai plastering is usually quite course, so get a small nail brush....and a small bowl of washing up liquid and warm water....dont soak the wall as it will stain.....minimum brushing,...flick rather than presure...should do the trick or if paint comes off color match.....xxxxxx

go down to the local contrustion office .

ask to rent a jackhammer .

go to local home pro get a tub of wall plaster .. and white paint ..

go home .. hammer a large hole on your wall . and then use the wall plaster . after that leave dry and then paint it over again ..

or

go to local bookshop get some liquid paper

. good luck

go home .. hammer a large hole on your wall . and then use the wall plaster . after that leave dry and then paint it over again ..

or

. good luck

:o:D

or

. good luck

:o:D

Before you try the liquid paper, (which does often work if the colors match,) and before you try white toothpaste, which also works if the color is right,) get one of those 'magic sponges.' Just dampen it lightly, and rub gently, and I think you might be in business. I've used these sponges on varnished table tops with great sucess, on painted walls, on hardwood floors. It's amazing how much dirt and various markings it will remove without resorting to soaps, cleansers, or even much water.

The Fly Fisherman

I dont want to seem a "killjoy" but i have had several rental properties in CM and only one landlord (Jao kong baan) returned SOME of the bond money. They will do anything to try and get out of paying it back to you. So just leave it..I know it doesn't seem the "right thing" to do.. But i spent hours and a small fortune in getting the houses all back to better condition than when i moved in..Don't say you haven't been warned...

I have also been in a number of rental properties here over the last 20+ years and I have never had a problem getting any deposit money back from a landlord.

But, shit can happen :o

During the first few years that I lived in Thailand, I rented a house out in the boonies for one year.

The people who owned it were really nice and we never had a problem.

The only person in the village who could speak English was a Songteaw driver and he would always interprete if there was any kind of a problem.

When it came time for me to leave, the owners refused to give me back my deposit - even though everything was in good condition - and I was very low on money.

I will always be grateful to that Songteaw driver, because when I told him what was going on, he brought me over to the owners and made them pay me on the spot.

I'm sure that taking the side of a farang in a dispute with a close neighbor couldn't have made his life easy! :o

go home .. hammer a large hole on your wall . and then use the wall plaster . after that leave dry and then paint it over again .

thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm off to buy a jackhammer as that seems like the most sensible idea :o

Too much trouble, I would move house if I was you, I dont knowhow you cope living in a house with a mark on the wall :o

My wife has come up with the best idea, we are going to bulldoze the house, build a new one and hey presto there will be no marks on the wall

- When she comes to inspect the house before moving out, stand in front of the mark the whole time and refuse to move.

- Paint the entire room in pink or mint. She will love the colours.

- Scratch the walls in a similar manner repeatedly until you have a pattern. If asked, claim it is the latest interior design trend from New York.

- Smear the walls with pig blood and offal. When she comes to inspect the room, the least of her worries will be the scratch mark.

- Refuse to admit there is a mark there, tell her she has impaired vision. Pay off a few people in the vicinity to stand close and support your story if she tries to go find witnesses.

- Frame the scratch in expensive hardwood and tell her it's a Picasso which you are leaving as a farewell present.

- If she is superstitious, build a shrine over the spot where the scrath is.

- When she comes to inspect the house before moving out, stand in front of the mark the whole time and refuse to move.

- Scratch the walls in a similar manner repeatedly until you have a pattern. If asked, claim it is the latest interior design trend from New York.

- Smear the walls with pig blood and offal. When she comes to inspect the room, the least of her worries will be the scratch mark.

- Refuse to admit there is a mark there, tell her she has impaired vision. Pay off a few people in the vicinity to stand close and support your story if she tries to go find witnesses.

- Frame the scratch in expensive hardwood and tell her it's a Picasso which you are leaving as a farewell present.

All good advice, one of my friends has suggested is to mark all of the wall in black lines, stand in front of it and say

there is a zebra behind me as we are allowed to keep pets

I dropped my laptop yesterday off my desk and the black plastic made a lovely couple of inche scrape on my landladys white walls.

Umm, yeah, I 'dropped' my laptop a while back too and it bounced off my wife, the ceiling and the wall.. :o

Somebody mentioned toothpaste and depending on the actual 'whiteness' of the wall, a little wheat or rice flour mixed with water into a thin paste works wonders (but it made my wife look a little pale for a while).

Scrubbing on cheap Thai paints simply removes the paint and makes matters worse but then I find it difficult to believe that you are worried about losing an entire deposit over a "couple of inche scrape"..

Try my technique of saying, "I threw the tax collector who was looking for you against the wall; can you tell me how to clean up the mess?"

Life is about recognizing the interests of others...

:D

You are one sick Meatball, Sweetie..

:o

I have also been in a number of rental properties here over the last 20+ years and I have never had a problem getting any deposit money back from a landlord.

I guess some people have all the luck Ajarn.. I did tell a slight lie, one couple (Aussie bloke ,Thai missus) gave me back 95% of my bond the other 5% was justifiable.. So it hasnt been all doom and gloom.. I guess the best advice is to become your own landlord, but thats another (boring) story....Stick one of those stuffed spiders or scorpions in frames over the mark and the landlord will be too scared to move it, probably easier than a jackhammer, but less fun..

Umm, yeah, I 'dropped' my laptop a while back too and it bounced off my wife, the ceiling and the wall.

Well thats what you get when you throw your laptop at your wife in an argument, my "dropped" is just pure stupidity on my side, after deciding to move my desk away from the wall so I could look out the window while working

Edited by Remo

Umm, yeah, I 'dropped' my laptop a while back too and it bounced off my wife, the ceiling and the wall.

Well thats what you get when you throw your laptop at your wife in an argument, my "dropped" is just pure stupidity on my side, after deciding to move my desk away from the wall so I could look out the window while working

So Reamo, how is the laptop?

So Reamo, how is the laptop?

it turns out most of its injuries are only emotional