Coming to a dirty beach near you soon! Thailand's robotic trash collector

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The collected rubbish will be dumped at the top of the beach and they will expect the garbage trucks to take it away ! But they wont so there will be a huge pile of crap where you walk onto the beach.  On the positive side, it is a good engineering project that could be made to work. 

Yeah. OK proof of concept.  (Proven in the modern world generations ago)

Just a "robot"  pulling engine on a poorly deigned shaker and screen

But me thinks way too small and slow.

Absolutely no reason for robotics when a tractor (with proven technology) would do better.

If this is the best Thailand can do?

Robotics has a place in the future, but this remote controlled "robotic" ain't no robot.

But surely some genius politician will go for this "glitzy" toy that will surely break quickly.

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I wonder how long they'll last?

Hopefully longer than Pattaya's CCTV cameras.

Only till something breaks. Seems that a maintenance budget is an alien concept in LOS.

If that thing is as small as it looks it's not going to get far without needing emptying on Pattaya beach.

Thai students designed and build it, give us a break! It would be cheaper to buy the right to build in Thailand the US tried and tested machine which does know how to filter out shells and pebbles, and have the students in engineering colleges build (put them together) them rather than try a copy other peoples design. If fact if PTT wanna help buy a dozen machines and pay salaries and train operators to use them and donate them to the beaches, Nobody will mine if they advertise themselves over them, plus community work for low risk prisoners. Job done!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Coming to a dirty beach near you soon! Thailand's robotic trash collector

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

It could be the answer to Thailand's dirty beaches - an eco-friendly robot trash cleaner made and designed by the kingdom's own bright engineers.

Well, knowing Thailand's Safety Last and poor maintenance standards, these machines could go out of control, if you know what I mean...

Home-grown robot to keep our beaches clean

By The Nation

a1d70337811c31b1f000fd839a46fc39-sld.jpe

The country’s first domestically-built beach-cleaning robot has been developed to join humans in the task of keeping Thailand’s scenic beaches clean and pollution-free.

PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited (PTTEP) last Friday unveiled the robot as part of the company's collaboration with Prince of Songkla University’s Faculty of Engineering under the “PTTEP Love Sea Love Beach” project.

8f7929e3c48302d96403b21575711220.jpg

According a demonstration at Songkhla’s Samila Beach, the key advantages of the beach cleaning robot, which has been under development since last year, are:

+ Its ability to effectively scoop up and quickly separate rubbish from sand through a vibrating sieve;

+ Its small size, which enables collection of garbage around trees, wich is usually for tractor-pulled beach cleaners; and

+ Its use of a rechargeable battery.

Importantly, the robot can be built locally, saving import costs from having to import.

b242778d98ea195a7d2e62d307d65187.jpg

PTTEP also announced it would continue to support improvements to the robot’s capabilities before it enters full operation.

Vinit Hansamuit, senior vice president, technology and knowledge management division, PTTEP, said “The beach-cleaning robot is one of many green innovations that reflect PTTEP’s commitment to environmental sustainability through research and development collaborations with education institutions, supporting the education sector to create new technologies for practical application.”

05053db3b14cbc3af7b0bf18028d5469.jpg

Prince of Songkla University mechanical engineering lecterer Pruittikorn Smithmaitrie said: “Collaboration with PTTEP gives us the opportunity to develop innovation that address local problems and to augment the skills and practical experience of our students.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333842

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-13

This thing will be a huge success.

The iTrash will be surrounded by two police officers in the front to prevent any tourists from taking pictures too close and stepping on the iTrash. Two military officers will guard the back to prevent theft of this expensive piece of machine.

As the weather is too hot and humid, causing fatigue on these 4 human beings. It is agreed, there will be a routing patrol of iTrash in the morning and at night, each once.

The rest of the time, the iTrash will be recharging at the local police station near you.

48 minutes ago, Matthew2027 said:

Plenty of tractors around, simple and effective

tc.png

Samila Beach in Songkhla (where the OP video was made) already has one...   I know, because I took the photo below.  At Samila Beach.  The day after a huge storm blew through.

These guys are a university group developing a new idea, learning robotics and real world skills.  Like undergrad universities all over the world.

Yet all we get here on TVF is insults and derision.  It's sad, really.

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

Edited by impulse

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Samila Beach in Songkhla (where the OP video was made) already has one...   I know, because I took the photo below.  At Samila Beach.  The day after a huge storm blew through.

These guys are a university group developing a new idea, learning robotics and real world skills.  Like undergrad universities all over the world.

Yet all we get here on TVF is insults and derision.  It's sad, really.

SKL Beach Cleaner 2.jpg

I think the insults and derision come from the fact that new initiatives are often announced but seldom followed through, and that the symptom may be treated but not the root cause, a band aid solution. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Which implies it is only foreigners who leave trash behind on the beach. I look forward to the aquatic version that can sift out the floating (probably foreign), turds from the murky brown water too.

Tourist also applies to Thais, what else would they be unless they work at the beach.