Are There Any Bodybuilders On This Forum Who Use Whey Protein

tropo

bodybuilding has always been a minority type activity and frowned upon by most sports establishments etc which is why not so many bodybuilding scientific studies or info out there compared to other sports,but im sure ive seen some in books in the past as ive read tons on the subject of bodybuilding etc. if i have enough time will look in a few old books as might get some reference study names there or do some hunting on the net.even if i dont find any then im still happy to listen to those that have actually put on 6 stone of muscle than any study that says blah blah blah....those that have walked the walk can talk the talk!!!

some doctors still report there are no benefits like increased muscle or power or improved athletic performance when taking steroids where everyone knows who has used them that is BS,so everyone in the bodybuilding scene knows that trial and error is the only way especially as doctors/scientists have no interest in helping a steroid user to gain helpful info.thats why you follow what has been passed down as experience is the guide. if a scientist skinny dude tells you how to get big but has never trained or a big muscle freak tells me what to do then im afraid im gonna listen to the guy thats actually done it!!surely i would be a fool to ignore the wisdom of a man and thousands more who have achieved what i want,or should 1 study put all that experience to shame.

where did you learn how to train,what exercises to do etc.....someone told you ,have you made up your own exercises?....no because people before you have put the experience in to know which ones are best.....there hasnt been hundreds of scientific studies done to prove it etc.

anyway we arguing about a small point,you think a little extra protein will give big results and i think a bit more protein will help more and some big guys would say a lot more protein is needed.if someone is happy with their results from what they do then that is all that matters.

as to eating a high fat diet then we will have to disagree,whilst it gives you lots of calories i dont want to clog up my arteries and have a heart attack,id rather take the cleaner calories(carbs,protein)....and if your study says eating lots of fat is no problem then i will definitely find scientific studies linking eating too much fat to medical conditions.

also i guess you aint an ecto or an endo as endos struggle to lose weight as much as ectos struggle to gain any weight....it aint easy in any way,shape or form.

i have also tried those very high calorie shakes for a month that guarantee some sort of weight gain and eaten loads and still nothing....cost a fortune and was about 2000+ calories a day on top of my already well fed routine. this was in my younger days ,as i said before i can now put on fat as im older with less natural testosterone and diet crap for years :o

By the sounds of it you definitely do want to stay inside your little box. According to you your little box hasn't been doing the trick, so perhaps you should step out for awhile.

You really shouldn't be discrediting a very well done scientific study before you're read it. If you want to waste your money and stress your kidneys by taking twice as much protein than you actually need, then go ahead...it's your money.

I recommend you get your testosterone levels checked. There's a good chance low levels have been hindering your progress. There are many young guys with sub-normal testosterone levels.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bodybuilding has always been a minority type activity and frowned upon by most sports establishments etc which is why not so many bodybuilding scientific studies or info out there compared to other sports,but im sure ive seen some in books in the past as ive read tons on the subject of bodybuilding etc. if i have enough time will look in a few old books as might get some reference study names there or do some hunting on the net.even if i dont find any then im still happy to listen to those that have actually put on 6 stone of muscle than any study that says blah blah blah....those that have walked the walk can talk the talk!!!

some doctors still report there are no benefits like increased muscle or power or improved athletic performance when taking steroids where everyone knows who has used them that is BS,so everyone in the bodybuilding scene knows that trial and error is the only way especially as doctors/scientists have no interest in helping a steroid user to gain helpful info.thats why you follow what has been passed down as experience is the guide. if a scientist skinny dude tells you how to get big but has never trained or a big muscle freak tells me what to do then im afraid im gonna listen to the guy thats actually done it!!surely i would be a fool to ignore the wisdom of a man and thousands more who have achieved what i want,or should 1 study put all that experience to shame.

where did you learn how to train,what exercises to do etc.....someone told you ,have you made up your own exercises?....no because people before you have put the experience in to know which ones are best.....there hasnt been hundreds of scientific studies done to prove it etc.

anyway we arguing about a small point,you think a little extra protein will give big results and i think a bit more protein will help more and some big guys would say a lot more protein is needed.if someone is happy with their results from what they do then that is all that matters.

as to eating a high fat diet then we will have to disagree,whilst it gives you lots of calories i dont want to clog up my arteries and have a heart attack,id rather take the cleaner calories(carbs,protein)....and if your study says eating lots of fat is no problem then i will definitely find scientific studies linking eating too much fat to medical conditions.

also i guess you aint an ecto or an endo as endos struggle to lose weight as much as ectos struggle to gain any weight....it aint easy in any way,shape or form.

i have also tried those very high calorie shakes for a month that guarantee some sort of weight gain and eaten loads and still nothing....cost a fortune and was about 2000+ calories a day on top of my already well fed routine. this was in my younger days ,as i said before i can now put on fat as im older with less natural testosterone and diet crap for years :D

By the sounds of it you definitely do want to stay inside your little box. According to you your little box hasn't been doing the trick, so perhaps you should step out for awhile.

You really shouldn't be discrediting a very well done scientific study before you're read it. If you want to waste your money and stress your kidneys by taking twice as much protein than you actually need, then go ahead...it's your money.

I recommend you get your testosterone levels checked. There's a good chance low levels have been hindering your progress. There are many young guys with sub-normal testosterone levels.

have you mentioned this study on any of the bodybuilding forums,im sure they could quote other studies or reasons as to why take more protein but im sure they would be quite interested anyways.

my little box hasnt been doing the trick because you cant change your genetic set up that much and not to do with doing anything wrong......i would like to be 2 inches taller too but it aint gonna happen and aint due to doing something right or wrong....its genetics.if i step out my box to your box after one study then all that would change is that i would eat less protein and get better results,hence i will stay in my box.

as to my testosterone levels, i have tried steroids many times in the past and got minimal results for the amount taken,again i have learnt they affect everybody in different ways which is probably why so many different ones used instead of just one that works great for everyone.

could i find this/your study thru googling it...give me some keywords to find it and i will gladly read it as i dont believe in what supplement companies say we need or even what the magazines say we should be doing but they are not completely lying ,just bending the truth a bit.

finally i would say if the high fat/carb diet would help increase my muscle mass then it hasnt as since living in thailand my diet has been high in both and all ive done is increased on body fat and muscle is same same as always as easier to store fat than increase muscle.you aint an ectomorph so dont tell one what to do ,ive trained with meso a lot and it aint the same .....meso do well with minimum training and haphazard diets :o

tropo,i felt bad that i was too lazy to find scientific studies supporting my box so i googled and found this page that backs up my thoughts and gives references to studies supporting the high protein diet.....i probably could find more but thought this was good enough to start. it also explains why the big guys take so much.....because it works!!!! and they dont need a study of a few people to tell them they didnt need to.

www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/high-protein-diet-effects-on-muscle-gains-and-fat-loss/

sorry dont know how to do a link,maybe a mod can help me out if they see this post.

there are so many conflicting studies on nearly everything out there that your 1 study,whilst yours make sense so do the others hence i say trial and error better than your or my box theories even if my box has more supporters anyway

tropo,i felt bad that i was too lazy to find scientific studies supporting my box so i googled and found this page that backs up my thoughts and gives references to studies supporting the high protein diet.....i probably could find more but thought this was good enough to start. it also explains why the big guys take so much.....because it works!!!! and they dont need a study of a few people to tell them they didnt need to.

www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/high-protein-diet-effects-on-muscle-gains-and-fat-loss/

sorry dont know how to do a link,maybe a mod can help me out if they see this post.

there are so many conflicting studies on nearly everything out there that your 1 study,whilst yours make sense so do the others hence i say trial and error better than your or my box theories even if my box has more supporters anyway

Somebody really didn't know that?

Just see how skinny are the people who exercise everyday and push very heavy at the gym but do not take protein.

So there is no doubt that taking protein helps to get bigger.

Just see how skinny are the people who exercise everyday and push very heavy at the gym but do not take protein.

how do you know they dont take protein???

theres a lot of ectos out there who cant get big.........as well as the regular trainers that just dont eat enough food in general.

a high percent of big looking guys have or do take steroids even if they say they havent or dont.unless you got ok to good genetics to begin with then you can only change your body in smallish increments unless you take steroids.

You have no idea.

Most people who train hard don't improve much no matter how much protein the eat.

You can gain absolutely no idea of the benefits of protein consumption from watching people at the gym. Do you question everyone on their diet when you watch them?...however just about anyone who trains on a western diet gets sufficient protein to improve. Tattoodrob has just gone to great lengths to explain his lack of progress despite taking large quantities of protein.

We've gone far enough with this discussion. Enough already. I've been reading about high protein diets for bodybuilders (and practicing such) for 3 decades so I'm hardly unfamiliar with this accepted dogma amongst bodybuilders. From what you've indicated in many posts is that protein is not the limiting factor in your progress, and it's not in mine either as I've gained a fair amount of muscle...so this discussion serves no purpose on this particular forum.

We've gone far enough with this discussion. Enough already. I've been reading about high protein diets for bodybuilders (and practicing such) for 3 decades so I'm hardly unfamiliar with this accepted dogma amongst bodybuilders. From what you've indicated in many posts is that protein is not the limiting factor in your progress, and it's not in mine either as I've gained a fair amount of muscle...so this discussion serves no purpose on this particular forum.

for once youre right :D youve gone on and on enough :D .

but you did call me out on finding studies to prove my beliefs,so thats what i did......thanks for the apology :o:D:D

if my goal is to lose weight, and build up some muscle, and i work out with exercise and weights 4 days a week: will the whey protein shakes twice a day help me?

i already eat sensibly, but not perfect. i don't smoke or drink. just want to get healthier within a few months. will the when protein shakes do me any good, or is it a waste?

i'm not a bodybuilder, not trying to look like one either. all help appreciated!

if my goal is to lose weight, and build up some muscle, and i work out with exercise and weights 4 days a week: will the whey protein shakes twice a day help me?

i already eat sensibly, but not perfect. i don't smoke or drink. just want to get healthier within a few months. will the when protein shakes do me any good, or is it a waste?

i'm not a bodybuilder, not trying to look like one either. all help appreciated!

If your diet is good I wouldn't bother. Dont waste your money.

Tropos right,

they did scientific studies with 2 sample groups one eating normal amounts of protien the other on high protien diets , weight increase basically the same for both groups.

its a money making myth.

but go ahead and waste your money on the protien shakes etc. or do the research for yourself.

If your diet is good I wouldn't bother. Dont waste your money.

I agree, don't waste your money. Unless you're training very hard and not getting enough protein in your normal diet, there's no need for it.

I tried the whey protein shakes for aorund 6 months in combo with heavier workouts and found absolutely zero effect

However I have a different question for the fitness experts here:

what are the best pre-workout foods, post workfoods and timings of each

also what thai food should absolutely be avoidnd due to excess calories/poor nutrition

My goal is to lose fat, build lean muscle mass and cardiovascular conditioning

Have to confess I actually love most thai food so don't want to give up staples like pad thai and som tam

seems like alot of muay thai guys have achieved good results on heavy training and a few basic meals per day

I tried the whey protein shakes for aorund 6 months in combo with heavier workouts and found absolutely zero effect

seems like alot of muay thai guys have achieved good results on heavy training and a few basic meals per day

But I still have to see the first BIG muay thai guy.

However I have a different question for the fitness experts here:

what are the best pre-workout foods, post workfoods and timings of each

also what thai food should absolutely be avoidnd due to excess calories/poor nutrition

My goal is to lose fat, build lean muscle mass and cardiovascular conditioning

Have to confess I actually love most thai food so don't want to give up staples like pad thai and som tam

Most of your questions have been covered already on this thread.

Whey protein does not improve muscle gain if your protein consumption is adequate for your training levels. It is useful as a quick protein hit straight after a workout, but this is a convenience thing more than anything else.

There's no need to throw out Thai food at all. Curries are high in protein (usually all meat) and you can supplement other dishes such as pad thai and som tam with additional meat or fish. I usually ask for additional chicken when I have pad thai, fried noodles and fried rice to increase the protein value of these meals.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it with paying ridiculous prices for whey protein in Thailand so I've just forked out 13,000 baht for 15 kg of Whey Protein Isolate (WPI).

This is more than I need but it works out to only 867 baht per kg.

If anyone would like to take 5 kg (or more) off my hands at cost price per kilo, please PM me. (Please note that it is unflavoured).

The best deal on Musashi WPI (90% protein) right now is 2,550 baht per 900 grams (2,883 per kg). The best deal on WPC (concentrate - 81% protein) right now is 1875 per kilo, so 867 per kg of WPI it's a very good deal.

post-34982-1227608039_thumb.jpg

For information about this product, see: Thaisupplements.com

Edited by tropo

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like this guys are Cheapest and also have the best Protein ! . ,

http://www.fighting-fuel.com/index.php

5 lbs 2500 THB free delivery .

On the website they list 5lbs of "Max Protein" as 1,899 baht.

That would seem a good price, but as to it being the best, you'd never know because apart from a typical marketing blurb they indicate very little about its ingredients and where it is made.

A cursory glance would indicate that it is only 72.7% protein by weight, 6.6% fat and 9.9% carbohydrates. The last 10% must be water.

That's not real good. The bulk protein I get from Thai Sports Supplements.com (a different formula than what I posted up here 3 years ago - that was WPC) is 90% WPI and therefore a better price, although I have to buy 20kg at a time. I can also get a detailed analysis of its contents.

Edited by tropo

Looks like this guys are Cheapest and also have the best Protein ! . ,

http://www.fighting-fuel.com/index.php

5 lbs 2500 THB free delivery .

On the website they list 5lbs of "Max Protein" as 1,899 baht.

That would seem a good price, but as to it being the best, you'd never know because apart from a typical marketing blurb they indicate very little about its ingredients and where it is made.

A cursory glance would indicate that it is only 72.7% protein by weight, 6.6% fat and 9.9% carbohydrates. The last 10% must be water.

That's not real good. The bulk protein I get from Thai Sports Supplements.com (a different formula than what I posted up here 3 years ago - that was WPC) is 90% WPI and therefore a better price, although I have to buy 20kg at a time. I can also get a detailed analysis of its contents.

Try Fitwhey.com

Cheapest I've found so far, with most of the well known brands

Try Fitwhey.com

Cheapest I've found so far, with most of the well known brands

The situation has certainly improved a lot since I started this thread back in 2008. Fitwhey.com are doing reasonably good prices on 2 well known brands. Whey protein is now avaiable at half the price it was in 2008.