Are There Any Bodybuilders On This Forum Who Use Whey Protein

tropo

I've been trying to track down whey protein (isolate) to use as a protein supplement. There's a shop at Tony's Gym on 3rd Road (north of Pattaya Tai) that sells Thai manufactured whey protein for the ridiculous price of 1,800 per 1kg...and Musashi brand from Australia at 1,900 per 1kg.

I can understand the cost of the high quality imported Musashi product, but the Thai manufactured product is seriously over priced.

I found some American whey in the Big C centre (can't remember the shop name - next to the Body Shop) going for an even more ridiculous 2,800 per 1kg.

There are hundreds of serious bodybuilders in this town, so surely there is a cheaper source somewhere.

Can anyone help?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been trying to track down whey protein (isolate) to use as a protein supplement. There's a shop at Tony's Gym on 3rd Road (north of Pattaya Tai) that sells Thai manufactured whey protein for the ridiculous price of 1,800 per 1kg...and Musashi brand from Australia at 1,900 per 1kg.

I can understand the cost of the high quality imported Musashi product, but the Thai manufactured product is seriously over priced.

I found some American whey in the Big C centre (can't remember the shop name - next to the Body Shop) going for an even more ridiculous 2,800 per 1kg.

There are hundreds of serious bodybuilders in this town, so surely there is a cheaper source somewhere.

Can anyone help?

Try Fascino pharmacy on Pattaya Nua. It's on the left hand side coming from Sukhumvit, before city hall. I believe I saw a line of weighlifting food supplements there.

Can anyone help?

Chicken & eggs.

I can't find it cheaper than the prices you are quoting. Just a case of TIT.

More brands are coming on the market - a couple of years ago there was only 1 - now there are 4 that I know of.

I guess in a few years, prices will come down. If you do find it cheaper - let me know !

Pedro

Try Fascino pharmacy on Pattaya Nua. It's on the left hand side coming from Sukhumvit, before city hall. I believe I saw a line of weighlifting food supplements there.

Thanks Fascino, I'll check it out.

Chicken & eggs.

I can't find it cheaper than the prices you are quoting. Just a case of TIT.

More brands are coming on the market - a couple of years ago there was only 1 - now there are 4 that I know of.

I guess in a few years, prices will come down. If you do find it cheaper - let me know !

Pedro

###### right Pedro, I'll be sticking with chicken and eggs at that price. :o It's nice to have a liquid drink when you're tired after a workout, but I'll just have to eat food instead if I can't get a better price. I went down to buy a blender at Carrefour the other day and it cost me 590...now I have to pay 3 times that for one container of whey. Another way to look at it...I can get a year's membership at Tony's gym (Soi 16) for about the price of 2 small containers of whey.

I was really surprised by the high cost of this cheaply produced product.

In the Philippines about a year ago I was picking up the American imported EAS whey (great quality) in 5lb containers for about 2,050 baht. That's less than half the price for an imported brand. Everything to do with food and medicine is cheaper in Thailand than in the Philippines...except this stuff. All dairy products are much cheaper in Thailand too...they're just having a go at farangs.

I just realised as I was typing this, they have a GNC counter in Tops. I'll check that out later too...have you been there?

Edited by tropo

I have been through this when I came to pattaya.Finding good whey for a reasonable price is not easy.

I use optimum nutrition american brand..its in the black can.I dont care for eas products.

anyway the best I did was buy a 10lb bag of it for 5k bt.

In the phils I was paying 2.5k peso for 5lb can

if you are interested.they sell it at a gym on sukumvit.

coming from the beach take pattaya klang to suk. make a left.there is a huge furniture store on the right hand side of street..i forget the name at the moment..that is your landmark.the gym is on the left hand side of the street across from the furniture store..its behind a small building.

its easy to find.i have not been there recently.go see what they have.

forget gnc.

hope this helped

I have been through this when I came to pattaya.Finding good whey for a reasonable price is not easy.

I use optimum nutrition american brand..its in the black can.I dont care for eas products.

coming from the beach take pattaya klang to suk. make a left.there is a huge furniture store on the right hand side of street..i forget the name at the moment..that is your landmark.the gym is on the left hand side of the street across from the furniture store..its behind a small building.

forget gnc.

hope this helped

Thanks LOS NICK, compared to anything else I've seen, that would be a great price. I know the gym you mentioned as I used to live out that way...I even popped in there once when I was first checking out the gyms in Pattaya. I'll head there shortly and grab some if they still stock it.

forget gnc.

hope this helped

Is that Universe gym ?

I agree about GNC - forget it - it's more expensive.

Is this whey protein good for invalids recovering from their illnesses and needing to build muscle up again?

You should check with your doctor first. Whey is hard to digest by some, especially those who have trouble with milk. This may sound obvious but you need exercise to build muscles - the Whey protein alone won't do anything.

The best source of protein is food. Whey is good as a supplement in addition to food. In your case, I wouldn't take more than 1 Whey protein shake a day. Bodybuilders take a lot more protein than average and are aiming build a lot more muscle than someone in your position. I doubt you really need the Whey protein - but it won't hurt you & some of them do taste great.

Aim for 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, follow your doctors guidelines for pre-habilitation and re-habilitation exercises, don't overdo it & you'll be fine.

If you want to PM me to discuss further - feel free.

I buy Optimum Nutrition 5lb'ders at one of my gyms in Bangkok for 2800bht. Not even near to the best price in the world, but I get by...

Hey instead of starting a new thread I'll just throw this out: I am going to be moving my training to Pattaya in Feburary, to really finish tighting up my condition and get a tan - sort of take a muscle beach vacation away from Bangkok lol..anyway... What's the Lo-down on gyms in Pattaya and what is the best? price,equpiment, atmosphere,location in anyone's opinion??...must have a smith machine!

Thanks for anyone's info/2cents...

I buy Optimum Nutrition 5lb'ders at one of my gyms in Bangkok for 2800bht. Not even near to the best price in the world, but I get by...

Hey instead of starting a new thread I'll just throw this out: I am going to be moving my training to Pattaya in Feburary, to really finish tighting up my condition and get a tan - sort of take a muscle beach vacation away from Bangkok lol..anyway... What's the Lo-down on gyms in Pattaya and what is the best? price,equpiment, atmosphere,location in anyone's opinion??...must have a smith machine!

Thanks for anyone's info/2cents...

Yes Pedro, that's the Universe gym. I went there today and the best they could do was a 5.15 lb container of "On" whey protein for 3,700 baht. They also had some pure (no flavouring) 80% whey for 1200 per kilo...I bought some to try.

Fanta, the whey that you got in Bangkok is way cheaper than anything I've seen so far in Pattaya. Where exactly is that gym? I might pick some up when I go to Bangkok next.

Regarding gyms in Pattaya...it's a gym buffs dream come true.

There are now 3 Tony's gyms, with one more opening up soon. They are all open 24 hours and you can get a membership at 8,000 for a year that gives you full access to all 3 (4). If you don't want to use all three I believe it's 6000 at the old gym on 3rd road, and 4000 for the new gym near walking street (don't quote me on these). They allow you to freeze your membership as many times as you like if you are heading away for a while. You just pay 3 baht per day and 90 baht for a new card when you return...fantastic!

Each of these gyms have lots of heavy duty equipment. All have decent smith machines. The old gym is considered the "heavy duty" gym of the 3, however all have enough heavy duty equipment to suit even the most serious of bodybuilders. The new gym near walking street (Soi 16) has a lot of new Hammer Strength equipment, and best of all they have some new Lifecycles and Life-treadmills with heart rate monitors. I've been told that the older gyms on 3rd Road are in the process of upgrading to better, more durable equipment i.e. Hammer Strength.

I've never seen so much gym for such a low membership price and open 24 hours.

Edited by tropo

Right on tropo! Tony's sounds pretty good. What about membership by the month? I don't want to commit for a year because I will be out of Thailand April2007 - Nov?Dec2007. The 'freeze' concept is cool but I don't want to put up 8000bht for uncertainty, plus I am a Bangkok Boy mostly and live there 75% of my time. I ideally want to pay by the month for the 'all 3' gym membership.. could you let me know what the story is there for costs on that senerio??

About the ON 5lbs Whey I can bring you some or you can go to my gym at pick it up.. We are abit territorial and it is a Thai gym so I dont want to broadcast post where it is (don't want any new members there; selfish and evil I know..) but I can PM you location.

Good lookin out...

I'm not sure of the cost for 1 month memberships, but I'll check them out for you this week. I think if you only want to use one of the gyms, the heavy duty 3rd Road or the one on Soi 16 are the best and cheapest. I'll be testing out the Soi 16 gym tomorrow so I'll let you know which gym will be better for you.

I'd be great if you could pick up some of that whey protein for me. I don't often get to Bangkok.

Edited by tropo

Great man, your research/recon will be much appreciated... I am working on my new Pattaya set-up for the coming Feb/Mar. I am going to still be spending 2 or 3 days a week in Bangkok and splitting my time between Bkk&Pattaya. I will be coming out to Pattaya to look at apartment options and what'not, probably next week, not sure exactly when I will get out there. I'll give you heads up on Whey situation and if you still want it and flavour choice etc. etc. when I know exactly when I will be in town.

In the meantime thanks for the on going reco of gym scene.

Later.

Great man, your research/recon will be much appreciated... I am working on my new Pattaya set-up for the coming Feb/Mar. I am going to still be spending 2 or 3 days a week in Bangkok and splitting my time between Bkk&Pattaya. I will be coming out to Pattaya to look at apartment options and what'not, probably next week, not sure exactly when I will get out there. I'll give you heads up on Whey situation and if you still want it and flavour choice etc. etc. when I know exactly when I will be in town.

In the meantime thanks for the on going reco of gym scene.

Later.

I'll definitely be interested in getting a couple of containers of whey.

When you see the gyms here you may become a "Pattaya boy". :o:D

Ok Fanta, I've done some research.

I had an early morning workout...very early in fact, 4 am. I'm a night owl and often train that time of the night.

This was at Tony's Life-fitness gym on Soi 16 near Walking Street.

They have a special for one year of 3,999 baht, but for one month you'll be paying 2,600.

I've just started up again after a 10 month layoff so I walked around the gym and tried a lot of their equipment.

First of all, I'm not into Smith machines much myself, but just for you I tried a set of incline presses on their machine and was impressed with its smoothness and feel. It's not one of those counter-weighted Smiths that I really hate, but a direct weighted machine. It's so good in fact that I might start using it myself.

They have 14 Hammer Strength machines:

Incline press

Normal bench press position

Shoulder press

High pull

45 degree pull

Low row pull

Curl

Pressdown (triceps)

Shrug

Leg press

Deadlift

Seated calf

Toe press (calf raises)

Leg curl

Other equipment:

Bench press

Decline press

Incline press

(All heavy duty with olympic bars)

Enough plates to keep Ronnie Coleman happy. Large plates came in an assortment of 45lb and 20kgs. All large plates have grips. My only complaint would be that for some machines I had to walk too far to grab the plates. Hammer Strength is a bit of a pain that way and really suits partner training. Maybe if you went at peak times there could be a shortage of plates for the Hammer Strength machines. No problem at 4am lol.

2 cable stations with 4 sides each stacked to 300lbs in 20 lb increments (8 pulleys in total).

Pulldown

row

tricep

and joined together with cable crossover. Very heavy duty with multiple attachments.

Combination leg press, hack squat machine

Leg extension machine (heavy duty)

T-bar row

Back extension

Heavy duty squat rack

2 dipping stations

4 chinning stations (various hand positions)

Dumbbell rack from 5lbs to 135lbs! No shit!...with duplicate light dumbbells. Good luck picking up those 135's.

3 incline adjustable benches

2 seated press benches (very comfortable for overhead dumbbell work).

Portable flat bench (or 2?)

Lots of olympic type ez curl bars

Lots of spare full size olympic bars

7 high power aircon units with high power fans on top of each unit.

Now upstairs:

Ab Crunch machine (very smooth)

Pec Deck machine (very smooth)

Leg adductor/abductor machines.

Ab twister

2 adjustable ab boards

Lots of gym balls

Punching bag

10 teadmills (8 Life Fitness treadmills...very nice indeed)

7 upright excercise bikes (including 2 Lifecycles)

7 recumbent bikes

5 steppers (one LIfe Fitness)

5 skiers? I don't know what they are called - I never use them. You use you hands and feet in a skiing type of motion.

1 rowing machine. I like rowing and this one is quite okay. Not quite a Concept Rower, but not too bad.

5 high power aircon units with powerful fans on top...and a few more ceiling fans.

Outside are 2 saunas, 2 steam rooms, Jacuzzi and plunge pool.

There is plenty of floor space between machines...not crammed in like some gyms. The floor is covered with heavy duty rubber mats. There are cold pure water dispensers on each floor. A large and a small towel are provided free of charge.

It was like a VIP workout. I was the only trainer there and the Thai supervisor walked around turning on lots of aircon units and fans just for me. I'm sure they would have been losing money on me with the electric bill for the 1 1/2 hours I was there.

There you have it, the newest of the 3 Tony's Gyms. I think it's my choice of the 3.

Edited by tropo

Try here: http://www.thaisupplements.com they sell whey very cheap if you buy in bulk. You will also notice that they sell the same creatine as Tonys for about half the price.

Thanks for that site PattayaXpat. Their unflavoured whey protein isolate appears to be the same as I purchased today but a lot cheaper, but unfortunately 20kg is way to much for me right now. The other products that they sell are Musashi, which although very good are still very expensive. They actually sell that one cheaper at the shop opposite Tonys Gym. I haven't really gotten into using Creatine much, but if I do it will be a good source.

tropo, that report was insane! man..wow.

Ok then I guess the one year for 4000bt is my option, even though I will only get 2-2.5 months out of it. I wonder if they 'freeze' for this special too?

Incredible research man, thanks for the great tour!

I'll probably get out to pattaya end of next week..?. busy with a few things right now tyring to free up my 'pattaya time', will let you know.

tropo, that report was insane! man..wow.

Ok then I guess the one year for 4000bt is my option, even though I will only get 2-2.5 months out of it. I wonder if they 'freeze' for this special too?

Incredible research man, thanks for the great tour!

I'll probably get out to pattaya end of next week..?. busy with a few things right now tyring to free up my 'pattaya time', will let you know.

I wasn't too happy when I found out about their 4000 bt special because I had just paid the 8000 bt membership 2 nights before at the other gym. Of course I can use all 3 gyms, but I've worked out at the other 2 and this one is looking to be my favourite. The other gyms are pretty decent too.

I'll ask if the 4000 special can be frozen too. I'll let you know here by post.

• 8 months later...
Hello all,

We have many sports supplements available at competitive prices. For more information contact us via Thai Visa or through our website.

Is there any chance you could indicate here, or PM me with details of what protein powders you have for sale?

PS. I just checked your website and noticed you sell Musashi protein powders.

Edited by tropo

Hello all,

We have many sports supplements available at competitive prices. For more information contact us via Thai Visa or through our website.

Is there any chance you could indicate here, or PM me with details of what protein powders you have for sale?

PS. I just checked your website and noticed you sell Musashi protein powders.

We have Musashi and Proflex proteins available from THB 900. We will be offering our members discounts however seeing as we are not open yet, discounts are available for all for the time being.

I will send you a price a full price list.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Can anyone help?

None of them do it the hard way in Pattaya...they all just juice-up :o

It's a bit off topic, but "juicing-up" will get you nowhere without adequate protein.

Do you know what are the cheapest protein available in Thailand now ?

Thanks.

I reckon you should try www.thaisupplements.com.

They have the Musashi stuff (pricey but good) and also bulk (cheap). I heard if you call them up direct you can get the Musashi at wholesale and they will also deliver.

Thanks for the link. Their prices on Musashi are quite good. It's unlikely they'll be selling it at wholesale price, because that's what they pay for this product which is imported from Australia.