Roller Shutter Manufacturer & Installation

Silverfox11

Hello Forum Members, my new house will soon be complete and I would prefer to have roller shutters installed at my windows.

I understand that this is the DIY forum and I am asking about makers and installers, but if anyone has any suggestions as to who to contact (email, phone number, or webpage) I would be extremely grateful for the advice.

Thank you all in advance for any information you can provide, thanks again.

What sort of roller shutter do you want, post some sample photos. Generally "roller shutter" conjures up images of metal security shutters like are found on shop houses, I'm sure you don't want those.

I'm assuming something like this, we had them in Italy.

Stellladen_Roll_fcm.jpg

Hello Crossy,  thank you for the reply.

The metal security shutters are exactly what I am looking for. My house is little remote and I want maximum security. Maybe a little OTT, but I want to keep my wife and young daughter safe. 

I will look around for photos to post.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

I don't know if you are going to have any luck finding the type that Crossy shows above

I have sliding glass doors leading off of two bedrooms to a deck and I have two sets of standard "shop house" roll up security doors since the deck is not visible from the street.  Every where else I have the custom wrought iron window bars

windows.png.84f6e59c7fd2a8da56fcc92ea951ee43.png

1 hour ago, Silverfox11 said:

The metal security shutters are exactly what I am looking for. My house is little remote and I want maximum security. Maybe a little OTT, but I want to keep my wife and young daughter safe.

Window bars may be a better solution but there should be a shutter supplier in your local area, they are in use everywhere.

But, and it is a very big BUT!

It is imperative that whatever solution you choose can be opened rapidly from the inside even if there is no power. The last thing you want is your security system trapping your family inside in the event of a fire. It has happened too often already and will happen again.

The advantage of window bars is they are cheap and easy to find. The disadvantages are numerous. The fasteners are so weak they can be popped off quickly, easily, and almost silently with a pry bar. They can block escapes as Crossy says. They give somewhat of a prison feeling to a house, though ornate ones can greatly soften this effect. They are incompatible with windows opening outward like awning and casements. However, there are higher quality options than this for security. The reason you don't see them is they cost too much for most people's tastes.

1. Roller blinds. arc-windows-doors has them and they can optionally be motorized.

2. Security mesh. These are heavy duty stainless steel screens that do the job of the insect screen and the security in one. majestec and winmasterthai are two suppliers.

A few of us have ordered panel doors and roller shutters from this place in China.
www.masterwellhk.com . Ms Lillian is our contact at Masterwell, and seems to know her job.
My external mounted grain wood finish roller shutter costs about $us 700 complete with remote controls and everything. Nearly 3m wide and 2.5 high.
One of the guys already has these installed and says they are high quality products.

You have to get an import company and make sure the paperwork forms are 100% correct so you don't pay import duty as is an Asian trade.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Security mesh (saves on the mosquitoes also) is probably the only thing I would go with. Shutters and fires just leave a sick feeling in your gut. 

Obviously have good fencing around the place, a few CCTV cameras for the slight chance they may deter some people. 

We live rural and leave most of our windows open all day with no one home to air the place out. We just have two working dogs who do constant patrols of the property. According to National Geographic the dogs have the stopping power of .45 cal bullet. Also better with kids than things like guns laying around the place (as if in safes they are useless in emergencies).  

I figure if people are keen enough to get through the fence and dogs (ie shoot their way through), then it wouldn't matter what we had they would get through, so prefer just to let the house stay a house, rather than a fortress.