Music producer Russell Simmons denies newspaper reports of sexual misconduct

rooster59

Music producer Russell Simmons denies newspaper reports of sexual misconduct

By Gina Cherelus

800x800 (5).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Rap mogul Russell Simmons speaks at a news conference along with members of Justice League NYC to present a list of demands at City Hall in New York, U.S. December 10, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Music and film producer Russell Simmons faced new accusations of sexual misconduct from nine woman dating back to 1983, including four who alleged he raped them, and New York police have opened an investigation, police and U.S. newspapers said on Thursday.

In an emailed statement on Thursday, the 60-year-old co-founder of Def Jam Records denied the accusations from the nine women reported on Wednesday by the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.

"These horrific accusations have shocked me to my core and all of my relations have been consensual," Simmons said in the statement.

Simmons, one of the most influential entrepreneurs in the hip-hop world, said last month that he was stepping down from his production and fashion businesses after a screenwriter said he sexually assaulted her in 1991. He has denied the incident and said that he remembered it differently than the accuser.

The statement said the current accusations "range from the patently untrue to the frivolous and hurtful. The presumption of innocent until proven guilty must not be replaced by 'Guilty by Accusation.'"

The Los Angeles Times and New York Post reported on Thursday that the New York City Police Department had opened an investigation into Simmons and was in the early stages of contacting women who have accused him of assault.

"The NYPD has received information regarding allegations involving Russell Simmons in the NYC area and our detectives are in the process of reviewing that information," New York police Sergeant Brendan Ryan said in an email to Reuters.

Reuters could not independently confirm any of the accusations against Simmons.

Simmons also founded the fashion lines Phat Farm and Tantris, and co-produced films and TV shows including "The Nutty Professor" and "Def Comedy Jam."

The allegations of rape reported by the New York Times were between 1988 and 1995 from a music journalist, a singer he managed and a former executive producer at Def Jam Records.

The new allegations reported by the Los Angeles Times dated back to 1983 for one from a member of an all-female hip-hop group who claimed Simmons raped her and included another from a massage therapist who said he exposed himself and asked her to touch him.

In an Instagram post on Thursday, Simmons used the hashtag #NotMe, in contrast with the #MeToo hashtag used by millions of women on social media to share their stories of sexual abuse.

"Today, I begin to properly defend myself," Simmons wrote. "My intention is not to diminish the #MeToo movement in anyway, but instead hold my accusers accountable. #NotMe."

In his statement responding to the accusations, Simmons said he had already apologised for "instances of thoughtlessness" in his consensual relationships.

"What I will not accept is responsibility for what I have not done," the statement said. "I will relentlessly fight against any untruthful character assassination that paints me as a man of violence."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-16

Who knows what really happened? The current "war on men" has gotten so extreme in the US, that one does not know whether or not an accusation has anything behind it. 

Like what? Trying to kiss them? Wow. Big deal. Since when is that a big crime? Men have been doing that for millennium. So you do not want to be kissed. You push the guy away. You do not make a federal case out of it. This is all about money. 

An accused serial child molester, and probably statutory rapist just lost an important election, and the deflector in chief is a guy who has said he grabs strangers by the pussy, on tape, and that those strangers are basically willing to do anything because he is famous, while a guy who tried to kiss a few grown women, is resigning? Something here really stinks. 

The bottom line is this. Teflon Don has created an environment that is so toxic, so putred, so horrendous, that standards no longer apply to most Republicans. Especially the ones he supports. And he alone has created this environment, where it is nearly illegal to possess a penis. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who knows what really happened? The current "war on men" has gotten so extreme in the US, that one does not know whether or not an accusation has anything behind it. 

Like what? Trying to kiss them? Wow. Big deal. Since when is that a big crime? Men have been doing that for millennium. So you do not want to be kissed. You push the guy away. You do not make a federal case out of it. This is all about money. 

An accused serial child molester, and probably statutory rapist just lost an important election, and the deflector in chief is a guy who has said he grabs strangers by the pussy, on tape, and that those strangers are basically willing to do anything because he is famous, while a guy who tried to kiss a few grown women, is resigning? Something here really stinks. 

The bottom line is this. Teflon Don has created an environment that is so toxic, so putred, so horrendous, that standards no longer apply to most Republicans. Especially the ones he supports. And he alone has created this environment, where it is nearly illegal to possess a penis. 

it's probably more accurate to state that trump didn't create this environment...but that his liberal critics are willing to sacrifice members of their own in order to attack trump with any credibility...after all, their criticisms of trump couldn't be taken seriously with all the b.s. the libs have been doing for decades...so they have to first attack/clean house, so when they do attack trump, they will have some validity to their hyperbolic arguments...trump didn't start this mess...liberals did...and now they are trying to clean up their own long standing dumpster fires so they can attack trump with some sense of perceived integrity in the media...because it's so obvious that this is really a drawn out political ploy, i hope it doesn't gain traction...the us population has a terrible memory (e.g., why would blacks align themselves with democrats, a political party that historically has tried to crush their social advancement?)...but with the terrible memory of people in general, plain stupidity, and the selfish nature of the citizenry, the dems may have a reasonable chance of success...lots of careers will be ruined by the political bulldogs on both sides...just look at sen franken...he's an ass, and a terrible senator (has not passed a single piece of legislation in years...his real political purpose was to be the jerk who asked insulting questions of conservative nominees that could be soundbites on the news), but he certainly did not deserve to be a target for allegations of sexual abuse...there are going to more accusations for sure...the dems have a slash and burn mentality when it comes to trump (and anyone who disagrees with them)...if they were smart, they would mount more reasoned arguments, and try to pass noteworthy legislation, instead of clutching their pearl necklaces and running to a fainting couch  at every perceived slight...it makes them appear as though the liberal agenda has no real substance...instead they can only cry racism, sexims, and homophobia...which are mostly just stupid allegations with no real merit.

Round and round it goes, to where nobody knows. The witch hunt began to try and sabotage Trump and is now devouring the Dems, and anyone else famous or even just in the public eye.

What started as a political maneuver is now out of control and will take many victims, whether innocent or guilty. A prominent female has already said she doesn't care if innocent men are victims.

At least a female has now also fallen foul of the mob.

Seems to me it's along the lines of the communist witch hunts in the 50s. A lot of good people were destroyed then too.

Scary thing is that actual proof is not required.

BTW, I doubt a single normal male that grew up in the 60s and 70s would not have behaved inappropriately at some time with one or more women. I actually winked at a women on a train once- take me to the stake for my transgression! :shock1: