UPS recommendation

pete66

I'm looking for a recommendation for a simple home UPS device. Just something around 400W, to protect my computer, monitor, and router.

Since I have an Apple computer, I would like the UPS device to integrate into the Mac system software. I'm not which sure which brands do that.

APC seem to be the world market leader, but they only seem to have such old models in Thailand. So the brand that I am currently looking at are:

1 ) Cyberpower

2) Zircon

3) BCN

So any recommendations, either from this list or other brands, would be gratefully received. Thank you.

APC are the name, even though we get the somewhat older models here, if you're on a budget have a look at Leonics, Syndome loads of relatively low-cost units, many don't have Apple software mind.

Also, you can pick up "refurbished" (ok new batteries) units in the big IT malls, I bought several for the TVs and the kids PCs.

Just make sure you get a big enough unit, you'll probably want to power your router too.

• Like 1

Think you need to check the apple site with list of recommendations. That way you can get your ups 'talking to your apple equipment.

http://www.thailandups.com have a good range, but as you stated, a lot of old stock.

If your not worried about a 'data' connection between devices then APC seem ok.

I have a synology NAS, and although my UPS would protect it, there was no data, so if the batteries run down the NAS would just turn off which in effect does not protect my hard drives, which need to spin down.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edit: inserted *get , to make readable

• Like 2

These are quite good:

https://www.lazada.co.th/pcm-imd-525ap-36846574.html

Looks like Mac software here:

http://www.pcm-ups.eu/en/software-app/

I once had a classic older model APC (still sold, looks like), no connectivity, which turned out to be rather poor. Perhaps the newer ones are better, but they do cost a bit more than the Powercom above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete66 said:

PCM only seems like 325W. My monitor alone is 250W. I need to be looking at 400W+ really I think.

Kinda depends on need. I need 5 minutes max to save, close out (I run a batch script), and shut down; the above will do it and more. I have a 24" monitor, 2 HD, I-5, and a 1050Ti; my PSU is 500W. If you're not around, then your machine will be automatically & gracefully shut down anyway.

You really need a watt meter to see what your system draws. However, take a look at this configurator:

http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=us

No doubt biased on the upside to sell a bigger unit but gives some idea anyway. Lazada sells bigger APCs, so you might consider one. They do have connectivity now. :) Excellent quality.

We have some members into electronic calcs who may be along shortly. 

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Would go to a local computer shop and ask them. In my experience an expensive special heavy UPS unit always seems to turn too soon into a source of unhappiness unless you're lucky. Nobody is that lucky. In my opinion too many power outages in an out of warrenty period require a quick availability of a second UPS replacement unit and  a not too expensive replacement policy of bad batteries at the local computer shop:  important factors for keeping a local family business operating as smooth as possible.

• 3 months later...

I got a 550W APC model and very happy with it. It's worked great the five or six times the power has cut off here.

It has six, in total, battery backup outlets. But two of them are IEC Plug C14 i.e. kettle plugs. And I have no kettles I want protecting during a power outage ;)

Any ideas on where I can get an adapter? To turn a kettle plug socket into a normal socket?

Cheers

19 minutes ago, pete66 said:

Any ideas on where I can get an adapter? To turn a kettle plug socket into a normal socket?

I got a couple from one of the "box shops" in Zeer Rangsit, any of the IT places should be able to help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I got a couple from one of the "box shops" in Zeer Rangsit, any of the IT places should be able to help.

OK cheers. Didn't think they would be as popular as that :)

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, pete66 said:

PCM only seems like 325W. My monitor alone is 250W. I need to be looking at 400W+ really I think.

I very much doubt your monitor uses 250W. I have a 24" monitor which I bought a couple of years ago which according to the manual uses 29W typical and 72W max.

My APC UPS PowerChute software tells me that the (max 4.5GHz) PC and monitor use currently, while I write this, together 64W.

APC.png.fbde6f0f218bcdaf18412ec99e368c13.png

My advise is get the one with the longest warranty including battery. Because the battery, and maybe the whole UPS, will fail.

I don't know the current brands but I bought UPS with 3 years warranty including battery warranty for less than 2000B.

I saw APS UPS, with one year warranty, fail after 13 months (the UPS, not just the battery). And not just one of them.

I still use APC in the office because nobody will blame me for buying APC. But I know lots of people with cheap UPS which also do the job.

@OneMoreFarang: I like those people who believe what's printed in Specifications and Manuals! 

But the real life differs. Just place an Ampere Meter into the Power Line (best would be a digital Meter) and measure the amount of Amp used. The formula is easy:

• P(ower(Watt)) = V(olts) X A(mp), or
  • V x A = Watt
  • means 220V x 1Amp = 220 Watts.

My older Acer LCD Monitor H233H is consuming 0.79A on ~220V which is around 170Watts! And that manual was telling 30-65Watts! OOPS! 

That said, never trust what's printed, check it out on your own.  

About the CBC UPS'es, the Warranty Terms of that Company is up to 3 Years. And as I told before, the service of that company is excellent, and after Warranty even very cheap.

APC has very good UPS'es, just they're very expensive compared to others. And that includes also to the Services outside the Warranty. The Thailand APC Company is in Bang Po/Samut Prakan. 

3 minutes ago, ArnonK said:

@OneMoreFarang: I like those people who believe what's printed in Specifications and Manuals! 

But the real life differs. Just place an Ampere Meter into the Power Line (best would be a digital Meter) and measure the amount of Amp used. The formula is easy:

• P(ower(Watt)) = V(olts) X A(mp), or
  • V x A = Watt
  • means 220V x 1Amp = 220 Watts.

My older Acer LCD Monitor H233H is consuming 0.79A on ~220V which is around 170Watts! And that manual was telling 30-65Watts! OOPS! 

That said, never trust what's printed, check it out on your own.  

Did you see the picture in my post? My APC UPS software tells me my (big) PC and monitor together use 64W at the time I was writing that post.

If a LCD monitor consumes 170W something is seriously wrong!

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you see the picture in my post? My APC UPS software tells me my (big) PC and monitor together use 64W at the time I was writing that post.

If a LCD monitor consumes 170W something is seriously wrong!

Fine, and?!

I used an APC Smart-UPS 2200 and the APC software wasn't show any use of Battery loading, and for the used Power (W) also below 100W. That is simply impossible on a Server with 2 XEON  Quad Core CPU's and 8HDD's running. APC Service, which I called several times to my office, couldn't find the problem but wouldn't exchange the UPS to another working one, they claimed that's just my connected computers and for that, they're not responsible in any means. That was my Bye Bye to APC.

On my system (Server) today, the CBC UPS is showing the real figure, which is exactly the same as measured with an Ampere Meter!

And if you're thinking, your BIG Computer, to which the APC UPS is connected, is using just 64W, that would be physically impossible! Or may possible only if you use a single Core Atom CPU, with a low power ZIF-SSD, because of the min 29W of the monitor, plus MB, SSD or HDD, Graphic Card and so on, would already need more power, even if idle!

• Sad 1

@OneMoreFarang:

So, what's SAD? My calculation? If wrong, please enlighten me. 

A simple fact is, Software didn't must be true, it will only show whats programmed for to show, true or false! Not to mention those 'Experts', sometimes called Hackers, who changed some command etc. inside of a finished app for to show bogus, or even attack the property of others.

I've learned my lessons, and learn every day some more, something that an imperfect human all times do. 

Be assured, my post's are not to offend you or anybody else.

1 hour ago, ArnonK said:

@OneMoreFarang:

So, what's SAD? My calculation? If wrong, please enlighten me. 

A simple fact is, Software didn't must be true, it will only show whats programmed for to show, true or false! Not to mention those 'Experts', sometimes called Hackers, who changed some command etc. inside of a finished app for to show bogus, or even attack the property of others.

I've learned my lessons, and learn every day some more, something that an imperfect human all times do. 

Be assured, my post's are not to offend you or anybody else.

I work with electronics since more than 30 year and with computers professionally more that 20 years.

Believe me, I know what I am talking about. Or it does not really matter if you believe it or not. I am not interested in arguing about things that are obvious.