SCB Debit Cards

I saw a notification via my online banking account reminding me that my SCB debit card will expire in February next year.

I have looked at the SCB website although it’s not exactly user friendly, hence my asking here, hoping TV members might have some relevant experience with SCB cards before I contact SCB.

These are the points I’m interested in:

I have had the SCB account for ten years, and with it I have an “SCB Debit Card” with the Mastercard logo, that I also use as an ATM card.

I have been able to use it successfully for shop purchases, like Big C, for example.

1. I have read that the Thai system has/is being changed for the “chip & pin” system? Is it true these new cards will have a six-digit pin number?

2. When using the new card, will I have to enter the pin number when making a purchase in Big C? I see there are some newer terminals in there that are maybe for this use?

I notice at the moment that if I make a purchase of less than, say 1,000(?) Baht I don’t have to sign for the purchase any more. So there is absolutely no check being done on the card user.

Having said that, signing the sales slip has never, ever, resulted in the sales person checking my signature to compare it with the one on back of my card.

3. When my card is closer to the renewal date, does SCB mail me a new card, or do they contact me requiring me to go into the branch to collect it?

4. I have never tried to use my card to make an online purchase on the internet. A friend has the same card and was told by SCB he had to make a separate, additional request for the card to be enabled to use online, even though mine appears to have the three-digit CVV code on the rear of the card.

5. I have seen a recent thread that seemed more about Bangkok Bank and their stopping using Visa debit cards (which I have anyway). Are SCB continuing issuing debit cards via Mastercard?

Thanks for any replies that may be posted.

19 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Lots of questions. If I was you I would visit one of the many SCB offices. There they will be more than pleased to help you and answer all your questions. There is usually at least one staff speaking reasonable English.

Have fun....

Thanks for the fast reply.

I’m keen to hear other first-hand experience, before I contact the bank. Perhaps I’m just too cautious, having been given not-too-clear information in the past.

From various occasions when staff have told me I have to go to the branch where my account is held for a particular query (then other branches will handle that query themselves), to failing to be asked to counter-sign a foreign cheque I deposited, resulting in it being returned from Bangkok due to that specific reason.

So no offence, but I’m hoping for some details of other members experience in order to build a fuller picture.

Archived