Scottish Pounds

Hi,

Been trying to exchange a few Scottish notes to Thai money, and so far have been told "not accept". Money changers at the airport wouldn't take them, and our local Siam Commercial bank told us that they don't accept Scottish money.

I thought that Sterling was Sterling regardless of the country it was printed in. Has anybody changed Scottish money and if so which bank/branch did the job for you?

Thanks.

No they don't do the exchange here. Your best bet is to do them again in Scotland when you next go back, and when you leave Scotland change any Scottish notes into Bank of England notes. It's a real pain, I know, but I've learned that. I've even had problems using Scottish notes in England, although like you, I thought they were fully convertible; I believe there is some charter that does not make them legal tender in England, although it is common practice to accept them.

Hi,

Been trying to exchange a few Scottish notes to Thai money, and so far have been told "not accept". Money changers at the airport wouldn't take them, and our local Siam Commercial bank told us that they don't accept Scottish money.

I thought that Sterling was Sterling regardless of the country it was printed in. Has anybody changed Scottish money and if so which bank/branch did the job for you?

Thanks.

Several of the large change offices in Bangkok will take them....they have that large manual of banknotes of the world so can compare the note against the photos in the manual (as they do not know what they look like).

The drawback is thaty you will get a lower rate for the Scottish notes.

It is worth mentioning that in both Hong Kong and Singapore there will be no problem exchanging these notes.

Also any clued up English expat or even tourist should in theory be delighted to exchange these into baht for you if he can get more baht than using Bank of England notes ie you offer him a better rate !

No they don't do the exchange here. Your best bet is to do them again in Scotland when you next go back, and when you leave Scotland change any Scottish notes into Bank of England notes. It's a real pain, I know, but I've learned that. I've even had problems using Scottish notes in England, although like you, I thought they were fully convertible; I believe there is some charter that does not make them legal tender in England, although it is common practice to accept them.

Agreed, it's crazy we should have to change our Scottish money for English money before we go abroad. It is also crazy that a small country like ours should have 3 different types of note - I don't know of any other country that allows this.

All you can do is wait til you go back to Scotland and change them - maybe you could meet some people who are on their way home and would be willing to swap them for Thai baht. Still, you can withdraw maoney from any ATM - so hopefully you won't be caught short.

Still, it's not hard for a Scotsman to keep his money in his wallet :o

Officially, since 1983 they've not even been legal tender in Scotland!

http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow10.htm

Agreed, it's crazy we should have to change our Scottish money for English money before we go abroad. It is also crazy that a small country like ours should have 3 different types of note - I don't know of any other country that allows this.

which "country" allows 3 different kind of notes?

Good day to discuss a subject like this since it is (today) the 300 th.aniversary of the establishment of the Union of the Parliaments of Scotland and Angleterre.

Wot were you doing in 1707...? :D

When it comes to Scottish dosh ..technically the £1 note (B of S-RBS-Clydesdale-old National Commercial and British Linen banks )aint legal south of the micky line.

By the same token the Angrit £5 note isnt legal north of the wall....so a bit of compromise was agreed whereby both sides accepted both bits of paper... :o

Also and purely for info..the founder of the Bank of England was ....YES a Jock..called Patterson and the guy who started the Bank of Scotland was a limey... :D

Ref: changing the money outside "home"..difficult..in fact most youngsters south of the border have NEVER even seen a £1 banknote.

I did however on occasion easily exchanged Scottish notes including the £100 without any problems...... in Germany (Angrit No Have)...Ya Ya das Gut...danke schon....

There was also one report quite some time ago of a Spannish Bank actually giving tourists a better Exchange rate for the money against Sterling....but suggest you probably got a free donkey as well. :D

Wot was the old Burns poem ref: to the Union.....

We were bought and Sold for English Gold..

Such a bunch of Rogues in a Nation.... :D

Find some sassanach that's going home and exchange with them.

My grandmother sends me Scottish notes every year and I send them to my mother every year - quite funny really. She used to send my a 10 pound cheque, which cost me $20 to cash , so I'd just rip it up - it took a few years to get her to change that.

Thanks for the replies and advise. I'm actually Irish, not Scottish, and it's only a small amount picked up during a trip through Scotland, so I'll send it back home and get my folks to exchange it there, lucky them! No use to me here.

Thanks again. :o

Scottish notes are becoming increasingly difficult to use for purchases in the UK now. In the local paper where I live there was a warning just a week or so again about a group of men passing forged Scottish £20 notes in pubs.... they were purchasing a round of inexpensive drinks (not sure where that pub is!!) and then pocketing the change and leaving. The notes would then be found to be fake.

There have been signs in pubs and shops in London now for ages stating that due to problems with forged Scottish notes they will not accept them.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freshwaterdiver...odays_Story.htm

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes MARK-UK..there is another place that issues banknotes from three different banks just like Scotland. The banks are HSBC, Standard Chartered and..the clue ...Bank of China.

Also if you think about it the British Isles ! They have banknotes from Isle of Man, Scotland , Northern Ireland , Jersey AND Guernsey as well as England . So at least ten different banks issue British notes.

Hi,

Thanks.

Don't worry after the elections this year it will be Euros

Yes MARK-UK..there is another place that issues banknotes from three different banks just like Scotland. The banks are HSBC, Standard Chartered and..the clue ...Bank of China.

Also if you think about it the British Isles ! They have banknotes from Isle of Man, Scotland , Northern Ireland , Jersey AND Guernsey as well as England . So at least ten different banks issue British notes.

My point was which country was the poster refering to?

Scotland which issues 3 types of Bank Note (issued by The Bank of Scotland, The Royal Bank of Scotland and The Clydesdale Bank.)

Northern Ireland which is smaller and issues 4 notes (issued by Bank of Ireland, the First Trust Bank, the Northern Bank and the Ulster Bank.) i wont go into the discussion on NI being a "country"

as you mention they are also produced by other British dependancies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

My point was which country was the poster refering to?

Scotland which issues 3 types of Bank Note (issued by The Bank of Scotland, The Royal Bank of Scotland and The Clydesdale Bank.)

Northern Ireland which is smaller and issues 4 notes (issued by Bank of Ireland, the First Trust Bank, the Northern Bank and the Ulster Bank.) i wont go into the discussion on NI being a "country"

as you mention they are also produced by other British dependancies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

Sorry MARK-UK...Thought the answer was obvious when I wrote Bank of China as the third note issuer.

It's Hong Kong of course which has notes issued by HSBC, STANCHART & BANK OF CHINA

thats amazing

i never knew mel gibson issued his own currency

how many haggis to the dollar today

Dont know about dollars.......aint worth much nowadays are they......

but you can buy a lot of haggisis for the old Mel G £

Just checked with Oanda and for today would get for my...

£100 note...@ say 70.60 =7,060 bt.... :D

wot do you get for you $100 notes nowadays...? :o

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

1 Pound = 70.64781 Thai Baht

1 Thai Baht (THB) = 0.01415 Pound (GBP)