passport question for Thai/UK daughter

Hi 

I've got a two year old daughter who was born in Thailand with Thai mother. 

My daughter is reaching the age where I would like to take her back to UK for a month or so to stay with grand parents and the like, but she currently doesn't have a passport for UK and I've not done anything official about notifying any of the authorities in the UK that I even have a daughter.

I am noted on the Thai birth certificate as the father when she was born and we have had this formally translated and stamped by the Thai consulate.

However I've not yet bothered with getting parental rights.

I spend as much time as I can with her and her mother (up to five months a year which will increase I hope) in Thailand but I make my money in Europe through my business and don't see that ever changing.

So my question is...

- What documents do I need to get a passport for her from the UK authorities, other than the translated birth certificate 

- Is there any formal documents or process over and above a passport that I need to ensure she can prove and benefit from her UK citizenship (she may want to study here for example, may need NI number etc) 

- Is it easier to get UK passport in Bangkok which I've read about here

With regards my daughter's mum, we are not married and currently don't have plans to be. I do understand that makes it a bit trickier for visas, but we'll deal with that if it becomes an issue in the future. 

Thanks a lot for any help.

You or the child’s mother will only be able to apply for the passport in Thailand because that’s the country the child is in at the time of application, which is done in Bangkok. It normally takes 2-3 weeks.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

You don’t need to register her. A formally translation of her Thai birth certificate with original document is all you need, or you can apply for a UK birth certificate. https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

All the information you need for applying for the passport is here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

• Thanks 1