British man injured in Thailand undergoes leg amputation following motorbike accident

webfact

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Okay I get it. The accident was his fault (really? are you serious?)  so was the fact that he hadn't bought insurance for his girlfriend. Okay.  

So "all" pillion passengers need to obtain insurance that will cover them in case of an accident.  Really???? Seems a bit over the top. You would put all the soi motorcycles out of business and a large majority of pillion riders in Thailand could probably not afford accident insurance. Are you saying they should not ride on their boyfriends'/husbands' bikes? Should take public transport. 

Sorry GarryP but you dont get it

I must apologize for posting a two line post, I will attempt to keep them shorter in the future

The first line blamed him for the lack of insurance for the GF, bearing in mind it produced a medical bill for approx 1M Baht, less of course the 80,000 Baht from the guilty parties insurance

Insurance WHO needs it 55555555555

Now the second line Gaz, apparently he has been riding for ten years in Thailand, so I simply pointed out to him he should have been conversant with Thai road conditions and been well aware of the risk both he and the GF were taking, now if you think that is me blaming him for the actual accident then thats your problem me old

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a heart warming example of humanity.

I am sure I could think of plenty of foolish things I have done in my younger years that could very easily have ended badly for me were fate to have twisted in a different direction on any given day.

Why is it that hearing about other peoples compassion and sparing a bit of money for somebody in need annoys you so much?
Did you have to beg and burden the public to save you?

I never did but never placed myself in the position of high risk activity in a FOREIGN land. Even as a teen I knew the cost of medical expenses were off the charts.

Probably 99% of scooter riders never even rode a push bike since primary school

8 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

My young nephew wants to rent a bike when he comes here. I've said no. I've been riding here for some time I've told him, and it's nothing like the UK. I hope they tighten up the rental market here. Though I don't hold out much hope. 

"I hope they tighten up the rental market here."

The onus is on the rider, unfortunately for some. It is good that you can give some advice to your nephew. Hope he takes note. :coffee1:

19 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I have had very hard times,Never asked for any help ,not even family THAT'S How  you learn to take care of things and Grow up,Be responsible, Not like ohh got some trouble ,,,just Beg  that only makes it worse for smaller problems ,,,Just Beg /ask for help/Money that way one turns into No hopers That shit just don't work for me.I help people once , if they have a  Real problem BUT Never Money. :wai:

You sound like a sensible person who takes great pride in standing on his own two feet. I admire that.

The young man who has sadly lost a leg has been less than sensible and now finds himself in dire need. Some people have chosen to give some money that they can spare to help him. I admire them also.

5 minutes ago, fandango71 said:

You sound like a sensible person who takes great pride in standing on his own two feet. I admire that.

The young man who has sadly lost a leg has been less than sensible and now finds himself in dire need. Some people have chosen to give some money that they can spare to help him. I admire them also.

He Created that Dire need Himself,,,I help people Whom Not Create Dire need but need help for a real reason.

3 minutes ago, peter48 said:

I do not understand - are we saying adult buying travel insurance not covered for road accident or is it his age. I am much,  much older here hiring car surely I am covered for most accidents?

Read your insurance policy .

How do you expect TV people to know what is in your insurance policy ?

2 minutes ago, peter48 said:

I do not understand - are we saying adult buying travel insurance not covered for road accident or is it his age. I am much,  much older here hiring car surely I am covered for most accidents?

READ your policy document, particularly what you're NOT covered for! No rocket science involved. :coffee1:

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

He Created that Dire need Himself,,,I help people Whom Not Create Dire need but need help for a real reason.

That's your choice and nothing wrong with that choice either.

If anybody chooses to spare money for people in need, regardless of how that need arose, that is their choice and their choice alone.

I do fail to understand why you should react so indignantly to that.

End of.

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

READ your policy document, particularly what you're NOT covered for! No rocket science involved. :coffee1:

Ok, Ok, I was asking in a more general sense that long experienced drivers (UK ) visiting here with proper driving licence and now international driving permit would be covered? However I take on board your advice and will check my Nationwide bank repeat policy which we rarely look at as it just repeats year on year....

Edited by peter48

2 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Ok, Ok, I was asking in a general sense that long experienced drivers (UK ) visiting here on with proper driving licence and now international driving permit would be covered? However I take on board your advice and will check my Nationwide repeat policy which we rarely look at as it repeats year on year....

I have 1 of those free Nationwide policies, it only covers Europe, maybe yours is different

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Thanks, Briggsy. I was really very close to send some money, but then luckily saw your post. 

Who knows? There might be a few other pages, made by people who are just using his name and the tragic circumstances he's in.

I won't donate any cash now because I don't know what's really going on there. Should anybody know more about the victim, please post it here.

And for the naysayers who blame him for not having an insurance, please get a life. 

Who's his friend who made it happen to have two Go fund me pages???

I am Phil Auld and a very good friend of Andrew Davidson whom I met through the Mtb community.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-ross-davidson-in-tailand

Edited by jenny2017

35 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I hope that you'd never made a mistake in your life . Why do you think is it called an accident? BTW, an ordinary motorcycle insurance covers only 12 K. I assume there's not much under your Christmas tree this year. 

9 hours ago, drayger said:

Hope he had the appropriate insurance, licence etc other wise expect to see another go fund me page . Another young life ruined by the ease of bike rental to anybody who has the baht but no experience on some of the deadliest roads in the world

..i don't see a helmet either...... the worst bikers are the farangs.... most with zero experience. 

8 hours ago, Ejjeje said:

I am not sorry for such people...

50% or maybe more never used a scooter, they think it's a bicycle and just drive....

I used to have a scooter rental shop for 8 years on koh tao, and i saw accidents each day not that heavy but still...

I always warned my costumers about the risk and belive me 80% of them did a crash the same day or later..

And something offtopic.

What the hell is all this gofundme bullshit?!

If you take a such risk think about it before we are not the caritas to found them

@Just1Voice

Licence ? 555....

I never got asked me licence when i plan a short trip and need a bike

Gofundme is a millennial invention to continue the life of entitlement and following your dreams. Just like mommy(their best friend)taught. 

So very sad for this young man to lose his leg.  Last week a young girl from Australia had her leg amputated as well.  A life changing event.  Accidents happen everywhere but it seems more so in Thailand and in particular to motor bike riders.  There's no protection once you are in an accident.  Whether it's the riders fault or not the consequences, if not fatal, are often catastrophic and life changing.  Yes things like wearing a helmet do save lives but maybe not legs.

About 4 years ago a friend was in the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya undergoing several tests.  I and others kept him company.  The last of these tests was being done on the top floor.  As I sat and waited I saw the heart breaking sight of maybe 15 to 18 young thais, males and females undergoing physiotherapy on parallel bars and similar.  All were missing a leg or two, perhaps an arm and some were in wheelchairs suffering degrees of paraplegia.  An absolutely heart breaking sight that goes behind the quickly forgotten headline or stat sheet.

Once again some rather shocking and disappointing ranting posts here.

No matter what his mistake is , the chap has lost a leg for god's sake !

Maybe no proper insurance, licence and now asking for public donations to fund the mishap...whatever..... but the real question to ask is, does that deserve the finger pointing and chuckling on his misfortune ? 

Edited by observer90210

In popular tourist locations in Myanmar, such as Bagan and Inle Lake, foreign tourists are not allowed to rent any size of motorbike, for their own safety. So there are no motorbike rental shops, just lots of bicycle rental shops, (much healthier and safer...)

Can you imagine if motorcycle rental by foreign tourists was banned in Thailand because of the number of accidents?

Nope, it would never happen. Money number 1!

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

In popular tourist locations in Myanmar, such as Bagan and Inle Lake, foreign tourists are not allowed to rent any size of motorbike, for their own safety. So there are no motorbike rental shops, just lots of bicycle rental shops, (much healthier and safer...)

Can you imagine if motorcycle rental by foreign tourists was banned in Thailand because of the number of accidents?

Smart choice from Myanmar, but a bicycle could also end up deadly if a drunk fellow crashes into ?..I would not feel much safer anyhow on a bicycle..

Ban free-service-licenceless bike rental in Thailand ?!!:shock1:...who will have the balls to face the nationwide ire of the rental mafias ?!!

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Most importantly what would happen with all the space the rental bikes take up on the streets?

Slightly off topic for this poor kid who we sympathise with deeply but the Nationwide policy I interpret does cover UK drivers ( hiring car I assume ) with proper UK licence in the  type of transport they always drive in UK. No cover  when under heavy alcohol influence and will not cover third party accident damage etc.