Thailand Suspends All High-level Meetings With Singapore

george

Thailand suspends all-high level meetings with Singapore

BANGKOK: -- Thailand Tuesday decided to suspend indefinitely all high level meetings including the planned summit later this year and a ministerial dialogue next month with Singapore as a result of the island's insensitivity to Thailand's political development.

Krit Garnjanagoonchorn, Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Tuesday summoned Singapore ambassador Peter Chan to lodge Thailand's protest of Singapore's action and Thaksin's interview on the island, which he used to attack the current government. "We want to show our dissatisfaction," said the ministry spokesman, Kitti Wasinond at the press conference.

Last week, Peter informed Foreign Minister Niyta Phibunsonggram and Krit Garnjanagoonchorn, permanent secretary, that Thaksin would be visiting Singapore for four days on a private visit. Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar would also host him a private lunch. The ministry informed the prime minister without any word of caution. But on Monday, Thaksin granted an interview to the foreign media, which Thailand viewed as unfriendly act.

--The Nation 2007-01-16

Background:

Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101500

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand summons Singapore‘s ambassador

BANGKOK: -- Thailand summoned Singapore‘s ambassador Tuesday to express concern about former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra‘s recent meeting with a top official and to urge caution in the future, the military-installed prime minister said.

"We informed the Singaporean (ambassador) that we are concerned by the political movements made by Thaksin," Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told reporters.

Singapore‘s Foreign Ministry had no immediate comment, but in a statement issued Sunday described Jayakumar as an "old friend" of Thaksin‘s and said their meeting was "purely social and private."

The military council that removed Thaksin has renewed attempts to muzzle the media and its coverage of him. The generals asked broadcasters last week to limit coverage of comments by Thaksin and his representatives in the name of national unity, prompting a media outcry but succeeding in blocking certain broadcasts.

Cable TV provider UBC decided "not to broadcast the interview" and instead repeated an earlier program, said a UBC official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject. The official said there had been no particular order from coup leaders not to air the interview.

Since the coup, the military and the temporary government it installed have blamed Thaksin and his supporters for trying to cause unrest to destabilize the country. Thaksin has denied the allegations, for which no evidence has been produced.

"Enough is enough," he said, adding that it was time to "contribute to the Thai society outside (the) political arena."

"I reassure them they shouldn‘t feel worried about me," he said, adding that he will not seek to regain his old job — but will remain a member of his political party. He also said Thailand must better prepare for economic competition.

--AP 2007-01-16

THAI-SINGAPORE TIES ON THE BRINK

Thailand cancels invitation to Singapore's foreign minister

BANGKOK: -- Thai government rescinded Tuesday the visit of Singapore's foreign minister later this month after ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's meeting with Singapore Deputy Prime Minister.

The government also announced it was suspending a civil service exchange program with Singapore and canceled a meeting about the program that was to be held later this month.

"We expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation made by Singaporean authorities. Therefore we decide to cancel visit of Singapore's Foreign Minister George Yeo to Bangkok later this month ," Foreign Ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said.

Thai Foreign Ministry summoned Singapore ambassador on Monday to express deep concerns on Thaksin's visit to Singapore.

An informed source said Singapore issued a private invitation for Thaksin to stay in the island nation for three days. Thaksin met Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar during the visit over the weekend.

--The Nation 2007-01-16

How dare the institutions/people in Singapore do what they did. Shame on them! Thailand is the center of the universe, why won't they recognize this! I mean what is Singapore these days? A cheap copy of Bangkok, not?

Thailand rules!

I saw the very beginnings of this story about Thailand's new policy regarding Singapore on CNN just about an hour ago (UBC) , and the screen went to some sort of red filler. Censored. Just like the Thaksin interview I suppose. Wonder what they are so worried about anyway?

Some tought talking, they better be sure Singapore behaves.

If it does - no one else would dare to host Thaksin.

IMO,Singapore 'face' is as big and as hard as you will get in Asia.I would be surprised as hel_l if Singapore gives an inch.

IMO,Singapore 'face' is as big and as hard as you will get in Asia.I would be surprised as hel_l if Singapore gives an inch.

In my experience, for Asians, "face" takes second place to losing money. In fact I've never seen it "deployed" except when it was (apparently) advantageous to do so.

In my experience, for Asians, "face" takes second place to losing money. In fact I've never seen it "deployed" except when it was (apparently) advantageous to do so.

Well I have seen a situation where Singaporeans would not back down.Even when it came to money.These guys are tough,smart and well educated.

I wonder who is advising the Thai government?

That rhetoric sure sounds like a military government to me. Could we be looking at another Burma? I have said in other posts that this is the first time in all the years I have lived here that I have been worried. The military throws out the constitution and deposes the democratically elected leader. I for one do not take this lightly.

That rhetoric sure sounds like a military government to me. Could we be looking at another Burma? I have said in other posts that this is the first time in all the years I have lived here that I have been worried. The military throws out the constitution and deposes the democratically elected leader. I for one do not take this lightly.

Hmm, as much as I was in favor of getting rid of Toxin, the current admin is certainly out to stiffle any press that might be negative... hmmm, good point.

Another Burma? There is already one in the West. The people voted for a certain person, yet another person took the thrown. Oh, and the Patriot Act disallows people to talk bad about the government. :o:D :D

neither do I ,

and

He Resigned ...................................... :o

It's not like Singapore's government is exactly a shining light for democracy and freedom either.

This is Asia and they do things a bit differently here.

Still one of the great things about Thailand through many trauma's has been the freedom of the press, but what Taksin started with his attempts to bully everyone with lawsuits seems to be continuing.....

This I do find upsetting.

It is called "jockeying for position" and "putting down markers" (or, even, "drawing lines in the sand").

In the longer term, Singapore would love to have a grip on Thailand, because it can't grow rice (or anything else, and is even too urban to have been able to allow pig-rearing and fattening for more than a decade). In fact, Lee Kuan Yew himself let it out in an interview in New Zealand that he felt the odds were against Singapore even surviving this century. He knows other countries are getting more and more able to do for themselves everything that Singapore can offer to do for payment for foreign currencies with which Singaporeans could buy their food and fuel. And he knows there is going to be no glut of either ever again.

So the Singapore Government took the risk of offending Thailand by buying Shin from Thaksin, and Thailand's new uncontested government is reminding them that they are 'in the doghouse' for it.

It is all very well some people dancing up and down and crying out that this Thai government wasn't elected by the ballot box. I agree that it wan't, but in 'realpolitik' being elected by general acclaim gives the 'legitimacy of election' just as much, or even more.

Comparision with Burma is like comparing apples with (rotten) eggs.

It's not like Singapore's government is exactly a shining light for democracy and freedom either.

This is Asia and they do things a bit differently here.

Still one of the great things about Thailand through many trauma's has been the freedom of the press, but what Taksin started with his attempts to bully everyone with lawsuits seems to be continuing.....

This I do find upsetting.

But they are a shining light on how does a small country,educate it's population and how they punch way above their weight...Thailand could learn lots from these guys.

Edited by chuchok

Thailand Tuesday decided to suspend indefinitely all high level meetings including the planned summit later this year and a ministerial dialogue next month with Singapore as a result of the island's insensitivity to Thailand's political development

This subjective language, government-tone coming from a newspaper worries me.

Compare the Nation article with the AP article and you can tell The Nation (Thailand's "independent newspaper") is folding under the government's censurship and pressure to only publish what the CNS sees as desirable.

Well I have seen a situation where Singaporeans would not back down.Even when it came to money.These guys are tough,smart and well educated.

I wonder who is advising the Thai government?

Thailand is nothing compared to Singapore. Per Capita GDP singapore can hang with western nations, Thailand is stuck firmly in the 2nd world in economic and intellectual terms. They can't dictate shit because they aren't even in the same category. If Thailand/Singapore relations deteriorate I imagine Singapore dealing more with Vietnam and China in the future.

Hmm, as much as I was in favor of getting rid of Toxin, the current admin is certainly out to stiffle any press that might be negative... hmmm, good point.

Another Burma? There is already one in the West. The people voted for a certain person, yet another person took the thrown. Oh, and the Patriot Act disallows people to talk bad about the government. :o:D :D

And the call Bush,Rumsfeld and Cheney "Great Americans" So much for FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it amazing how the junta is so paranoid about Thaksin coming back that they wantongly block and censor an international news source while then turning around and picking a fight with a local economic power like Singapore. This shows complete madness and the unwillingness to even think about potential consequences of their actions.

At the beginning I thought the coup would actually make things better but the junta has proven by now beyond any reasonable doubt that they have completely lost control and they are by now in complete panic-mode.

Looks a lot like the endless circular arguments and manic actions of the North Korean junta to me, just in its early stages -- good luck, that the Thais are just not diligent enough engineers to ever successfully build a nuke... :-)

I disagree. Singapore doesnt give a <deleted> about what Thailand says. Singapore knows Thailand can only make empty threats. They will laugh! Better to have said nothing. just shows how inexperienced politically the coup leaders are. By saying something it makes Thaksin look like a powerful threat!