Thailand Suspends All High-level Meetings With Singapore

george

I think the coverage that this 'censoring' has received, not just in Thailand but around the world, is far more than the original CNN interview would have got had it been aired freely.
Really? Google news has only one story from outside the region, by Reuters, filed two days ago.
Like it or not, when Thaksin speaks the press will want to hear what he has to say.

Not at all. He has nothing to say that would be of interest to international audience. His interview with CNN didn't make the front page.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not business, it's politics. Go ahead, show us which ASEAN country allows political activities by Burmese dissidents, for example. Certainly not Singapore and not Thailand. Show us which country allows any public activities by Falungong, and China is not even in ASEAN.
Pardon me if this has already been answered. I have only seen one demonstration by Falungong in Asia, when I travelled with a native of Shanghai, who had never seen them demonstrate in China. We were in......Singapore.

"In a separate interview with the Wall Street Journal, Thaksin accused "the old elite" of being behind the coup -- an apparent swipe at the Privy Council, the secretive panel which advises revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej."

Thailand has a long standing policy of sensoring this kind of talk, no one in the region would blame them. Singapore should have been aware of that.

Regional coverage of CNN sensorship issue is rather bland and neutral.

It's not business, it's politics. Go ahead, show us which ASEAN country allows political activities by Burmese dissidents, for example. Certainly not Singapore and not Thailand. Show us which country allows any public activities by Falungong, and China is not even in ASEAN.
Pardon me if this has already been answered. I have only seen one demonstration by Falungong in Asia, when I travelled with a native of Shanghai, who had never seen them demonstrate in China. We were in......Singapore.

Prior to 2003 APEC meeting Thailand blacklisted Falungong and deported two western pracitioners.

Here's the first page of google search on Singapore falungong

Singabloodypore - Singapore Falun Gong Practitioners Released ...After seven days of detention, two Falun Gong practitioners were released from Singapore jail on May 3, 2005. Ms. Cheng Lujin and Ms. Ng Chye Huay had been ...

singabloodypore.blogspot.com/2005/ 05/singapore-falun-gong-practitioners.html - 69k - Cached - Similar pages

Singapore: Falun Gong Practitioners Are Denied Fair Treatment ...Defense counsel Mr. Ravi, who represents Singapore Falun Gong practitioners in their protest case in front of the Chinese Embassy, held a public hearing on ...

www.clearharmony.net/articles/200609/35281.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Singapore: Falun Gong Practitioners Clarify the Truth in Front of ...People took pictures of the scene using their mobile phones and cameras. Some others watched practitioners doing the Falun Gong exercises.

www.clearharmony.net/articles/200605/33023.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.clearharmony.net ]

Falun Dafa Clearwisdom.netGerman Falun Gong Association: "Singapore should not be an accomplice of the ... To end the bloodshed, the two Singapore Falun Gong practitioners Huang Cai ...

www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2005/5/16/60820.html - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Falun Dafa Clearwisdom.net - Singapore Falun Gong Practitioners ...(Clearwisdom.net) On September 25, the case against two Singapore Falun Gong practitioners for protesting against the persecution in front of the Chinese ...

www.clearwisdom.net/emh/articles/2006/10/1/78531.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

The Epoch Times | Singapore Falun Gong Adherents' Lawyer Rejoins TrialAfter resigning from the case this past Friday, the Singapore Falun Gong adherents' lawyer returned to action.

www.theepochtimes.com/news/6-9-6/45707.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

WorldWide Religious News-British Falungong journalist deported ...British Falungong journalist deported from Singapore: Falungong ... Singapore Falun Gong head says followers would help pay fines if members convicted ...

www.wwrn.org/ article.php?idd=22852&sec=25&con=28 - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

WorldWide Religious News-Singapore Falun Gong head says followers ...The head of Singapore's Falun Gong association said Thursday the spiritual group is ready ... Falun Gong pair to face trial for illegal Singapore assembly ...

www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=1914&sec=25&con=28 - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.wwrn.org ]

Chinese Communist regime gives Singapore Falun Gong blacklistSEID: Falun Gong practitioner Nie Ge works in a hotel in Singapore. But all that could change. That's because on June 2 she received a letter from ...

www.xintangren.com/xtr/en/2006/06/12/a_45458.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Singapore persecutes Falun GongFree speech, and the information explosion, seem to be new ideas to the government of Singapore, where their recent treatment of two women of Falun Gong ...

chinasupport.net/news253.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

"In a separate interview with the Wall Street Journal, Thaksin accused "the old elite" of being behind the coup -- an apparent swipe at the Privy Council, the secretive panel which advises revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej."

Thailand has a long standing policy of sensoring this kind of talk, no one in the region would blame them. Singapore should have been aware of that.

Regional coverage of CNN sensorship issue is rather bland and neutral.

Non sensational and informed reporting on exactly who was behind the coup and why has been widespread throughout the world, and published in various international journals of record.It is also the subject of widespread discussion and speculation in Thailand.You can bury your head in the sand and say it is not so or try and prevent discussion on the subject....but it is so.Censorship tends to be pointless but these clodhoppers are too dumb to understand that.

Non sensational and informed reporting on exactly who was behind the coup and why has been widespread throughout the world, and published in various international journals of record.It is also the subject of widespread discussion and speculation in Thailand.You can bury your head in the sand and say it is not so or try and prevent discussion on the subject....but it is so.Censorship tends to be pointless but these clodhoppers are too dumb to understand that.

It's not important whether it's true or not - the topic is taboo in Thailand.

Thaksin should be very careful in attacks on "old elite" if he wants to return to Thailand.

I think the coverage that this 'censoring' has received, not just in Thailand but around the world, is far more than the original CNN interview would have got had it been aired freely.
Really? Google news has only one story from outside the region, by Reuters, filed two days ago.
Like it or not, when Thaksin speaks the press will want to hear what he has to say.
Not at all. He has nothing to say that would be of interest to international audience. His interview with CNN didn't make the front page.

Actually, you have to remember that Google News will only pick up stories that have been posted online, and many print newspapers and magazines still opt to save the majority of their stories for their print editions.

To say it's not getting coverage outside Thailand is simply wrong. Okay, so the 'censoring' might not be front page news but it's being covered nonetheless, and getting more column inches than his original interview ever would have. Don't assume that because it's not on Google News then it's not appearing. I know at least ten high circulation publications in the UK and US that have opted out of being part of Google News.

And I have to disagree with your opinion that his comments are not of interest internationally. I have many dealings with Europe and the US and his comments are being listened to - probably more than they are here. To people looking at Thailand from the outside, the situation is still very unclear and he is still considered to be a part of the overall picture.

I lived there for 2 years and I didnt see a lot of brain power. Everytime I here them speak there Singlish I get nausious, and freedom of the press? Dont make me laugh.

THANKS, I lived there for a year and cant find better words.

Its all about money and power....Singapore has no censorship :D :D :D :D :bah: my English is not excellent but try to understand Singlishlah oklah understoodlah?? :bah::o they are lucky they have so many indians around these ppl are understandable, not so the 95% of the chinese pollution and thats all what the whole story is about, MONEY AND POWER western money owned by owners like these of CNN :o and eastern money.

South east asia is the connection point between western and eastern economy thats what it is all about.

Thaksin is still news?? Every western country had ask him HOW he made all his money the past years, Thaigovernment hasnt, so he should better calm

One member here talked about brainwashing ;) check out who owes more than 95% of all western mass media, TV, news, newspapers, productioncompanies for movies etc etc... and then lets talk about brainwashing again :D

Someone here wrote ....its about money not about politics..... wake up, its the same, money IS politics

You don't have to be in the junta to believe that Thaksin is an enemy of the people of Thailand, and a genuine egomaniac. Now, deposed egomaniacs who only have money, who spent most of their life gaining power, are desperate for attention and for power. The junta reasonably sees Thaksin as a man who will regain power by any means, including a counter-coup. The junta unreasonably reacts publicly against Singapore when they could have summoned its ambassador privately. The junta sends a message to the world: we're in charge of Thailand, by any means possible.

You don't have to be in the junta to believe that Thaksin is an enemy of the people of Thailand, and a genuine egomaniac. Now, deposed egomaniacs who only have money, who spent most of their life gaining power, are desperate for attention and for power. The junta reasonably sees Thaksin as a man who will regain power by any means, including a counter-coup. The junta unreasonably reacts publicly against Singapore when they could have summoned its ambassador privately. The junta sends a message to the world: we're in charge of Thailand, by any means possible.

The thing that worries me here is that the junta is overly obsessed with Thaksin. The changes to the FBA were widely seen as being focused on the Shin deal, and downgrading ties with a friendly nation for a meeting is taking paranoi to the extreme. Almost every major decision the junta takes seems more about attacking or getting back at Thaksin, rather than thinking about the long-term welfare of the Thai people.

It's a strange situation.

:o

It would be great if you told us what you think....

Was chuckling at the following comment:

And not surprising that some of these comments are coming from Tourists back in England professing to be expatriates on a foreign forum.

As it reminded me of some of the rather furious and frothing arguments that go on in the soc.culture.thai newsgroup by folks who haven't lived in (and often just visited) Thailand in years and sometimes decades. Such is the nature of the LOS and its ability to leave you emotionally scarred for life.

:D

Actually, you have to remember that Google News will only pick up stories that have been posted online, and many print newspapers and magazines still opt to save the majority of their stories for their print editions.

To say it's not getting coverage outside Thailand is simply wrong. Okay, so the 'censoring' might not be front page news but it's being covered nonetheless, and getting more column inches than his original interview ever would have.

If it's not worth putting online, it's not news. In this day and age I can't think of any major publication that does not have an online version.

It appears that the coverage is just not there. No one cares. Alluding to some unseen "column inches" that only appears on paper is nonsense.

Don't forget that Thaksin is still a suspect in New Year bombings, even if they can't admit it publicly.

This will only get more messy.

Singapore did a right diplomatic gaffe by letting the news out that its deputy PM would meet Thaksin. Private pals or not, this is a stab at the current Thai govt. Allowing CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore was poke number two. Singapore keeps a stranglehold on media. How many publications/reporters have been banned or deported by Singapore? FEER, Economist...Say the wrong thing and its like you spit out your gum on the street. Byebye.

Temasek obviously has a pinkie in this too. It's money and polar politics.

Try to figure out Singapore's stake in all this.

firstly, CNN and WSJ (which incidentally is in singapore's bad books) have bureaus in singapore, and the government cannot do anything to stop them from interviewing a foreigner on a holiday. those who dissagree, pls explain how this can be done. wouldn't the singapore government in turn get bad press from CNN and WSJ if they actually stopped them from interviewing Thaksin?

secondly, if you read the foreign press, the singapore foreign affairs ministry informed the Thai government on the sidelines of the ASEAN meeting last week that Thaksin was visiting, and that he had a private lunch lined up with the DPM. why didn't the Thai government protest then? they were definitely accorded the courtesy of forewarning.

and lastly, i think there is too much weight given to the importance of the Temasek/Shin deal to the singapore government. its simply not important enough for them to embark on any covert conspiracy to embarass/overthrow/discredit the present regime. okay lets do some simple maths:-

appx value of temasek's portfolio = 105 billion

appx value of shin corp = 1.9 billion

shin corp's share of temasek portfolio = 1.8% (and falling...)

est. annual return to temasek investments (excl shin) = 5%, or appx 5.16 billion

the entire amount spent on shin corp represents appx 4.4 months of temasek's earnings, it can be written off without much fuss, and frankly i think the political blowout is not even worth it for them. temasek's invesment footprint is all over north america, europe, japan, china, india, and south east asia, of which thailand is only a small part which has to compete with vietnam and indonesia and malaysia. i think temasek and indeed the singapore government's position wrt shin is really in damage control, divestment, and then put the country on its politically weighted investment watchlist.

there is a tendency for the Thai side to flatter themselves into thinking that singapore really wants to take over thai industry and to think that they really matter in the bigger scheme of things. i think singapore just wants a peaceful, open and progressive ASEAN, so that business can grow and prosper, there is really nothing more to it than that.

Seems your ARE indeed being heavily censored Plus. I have 167 news articles on Thaksin and Singapore alone some under an hour old on Google News. That's 4 pages of results and CNN had the story on the front page of their international site this morning, full video and all, I'm sure you didn't get that either as it was not flattering to Thailand in the least.

PS... In case it's not reported inside Thailand for security reasons... H5N1 has been confirmed as well.

Edited by lukamar

firstly, CNN and WSJ (which incidentally is in singapore's bad books) have bureaus in singapore, and the government cannot do anything to stop them from interviewing a foreigner on a holiday. those who dissagree, pls explain how this can be done. wouldn't the singapore government in turn get bad press from CNN and WSJ if they actually stopped them from interviewing Thaksin?

If they knew that Thaksin was going to "talk to the world" they could have easily advised him not to do so.

secondly, if you read the foreign press, the singapore foreign affairs ministry informed the Thai government on the sidelines of the ASEAN meeting last week that Thaksin was visiting, and that he had a private lunch lined up with the DPM. why didn't the Thai government protest then? they were definitely accorded the courtesy of forewarning.

We don't know the details of how private that lunch was. If it wasn't what was promised and equivalents of red carpets were rolled out, Thais have the right to protest. If they also learned that Deputy PM knew of the planned interviews and didn't stop Thaksin, they have the right to roll heavy artillery.

and lastly, i think there is too much weight given to the importance of the Temasek/Shin deal to the singapore government. its simply not important enough for them to embark on any covert conspiracy to embarass/overthrow/discredit the present regime.

It is indeed puzzling why they still hang out with Thaksin and risk dimplomatic incident with Thailand. Maybe they are not as smart as usually believed. They screwed Shin deal and now they are screwed politically.

Just to expand on John K's remarks, if I was a high ranking government official and a deposed PM wanted to see me I would pause. I would think "how will this meeting, even a private one, look to the outside world".

For the zillionth time, he retired!

:o

I have 167 news articles on Thaksin and Singapore alone some under an hour old on Google News. That's 4 pages of results and CNN had the story on the front page of their international site this morning, full video and all, I'm sure you didn't get that either as it was not flattering to Thailand in the least.

I can't duplicate your search but I said outside the region - there were articles from Taiwan, Philippines and Asia news network - local coverage. It still stays the same way - 3,606 results for Thaksin, only reuters story from outside the region.

CNN's single Thailand-Singapore story was filed two days ago, on Jan 15,under world/asia, nowhere near front page now.

The unelected Thai government and the elected but no real opposition will be tolerated in our family run state Singaporean government have a row over the less than democratic and possibly serial extra judicial execution man Thaksin. SE Asia sure dont exactly look like a beacon of progressive politics, and that is without a single mention of that Burma place. Surreal.

Just to expand on John K's remarks, if I was a high ranking government official and a deposed PM wanted to see me I would pause. I would think "how will this meeting, even a private one, look to the outside world".

For the zillionth time, he retired!

you can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. Some people just don't get it. :o

I have 167 news articles on Thaksin and Singapore alone some under an hour old on Google News. That's 4 pages of results and CNN had the story on the front page of their international site this morning, full video and all, I'm sure you didn't get that either as it was not flattering to Thailand in the least.

I can't duplicate your search but I said outside the region - there were articles from Taiwan, Philippines and Asia news network - local coverage. It still stays the same way - 3,606 results for Thaksin, only reuters story from outside the region.

CNN's single Thailand-Singapore story was filed two days ago, on Jan 15,under world/asia, nowhere near front page now.

http://edition.cnn.com/ASIA/

todays edition

i can see the interview on the front page under more news!!!

maybe the pro junta installed firewall on your computer might be causing you these search problems

For the zillionth time, he retired!..........resigned

you can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. Some people just don't get it. :o

fixed ........................ :D

As much as many Thais and many of the posters here do not like Thaksin, let's not forget he was elected by a clear majority of the people in Thailand. How he got elected I suppose is subject for debate but no one has ever claimed, to my knowledge, that the elections were rigged in favor of Thaksin. There may have been money or gifts thrown out to villagers but they still voted for the guy.

Paying a few hundred baht per vote placed for your candidate does not count as rigging an election? It is a standard and well proven way of rigging elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigged_electi...on_and_coercion

Particularly smart by paying the money to the village head man per actual vote cast 'correctly', rather than the individual voters, as he can then insist people working in Bangkok come home to vote who would otherwise not bother, as well as intimidate people to actually vote the way they are being payed rather than take the money and place a legitimate vote.