Immigration Officers Spot Checks for Visa Status - Old City

freedomnow

Hearing from my friend who owns a biz in old city that groups of immi. officers are doing spot-checks quite a lot last week and this week around old city.

If you don't have your passport on you, a photocopy of your visa or photo of visa page/current visa it seems

people are getting carted off to immigration investigation office until their visa status can be confirmed.

Just a heads-up to avoid such a big hassle for people with no means to show their valid visa on the spot.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it how you want it.

I have better things to do than defend was is only meant as a tip for anyone who cannot prove their visa status on the spot if asked.

Kunkae Juice Bar in Soi 7 Moon Muang had foreigners halued off today who could not prove their visa status when challnged by a group of immi. officers.

Try to be helpful, and 2 hostile posts as usual on TV within an hour.

End of. Won't be visiting this thread to defend anything again.

A good friend who lives in a guest house in the Old City said Immigration came by day before yesterday and asked to see everyone's passport to check visa status, so yes it's true.  I know they come to the collection of restaurants and hostels behind our condo building from time-to-time and check the status of foreigners, too.  Everyone should carry a copy of their passport photo page, visa or permission to stay stamp, 90 day report and TM30.  Personally, I find it easier just to have the passport with me, but it's fairly easy for Americans to get a new passport if I should lose mine.  I can understand someone not wanting to have their passport on their person if they're from a country where it's a hassle to get a new passport.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

BS until confirming reports provided.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

It`s not BS, I can confirm 2 of my friends were pulled up in a cafe by immigration officers about 10.00am in the area yesterday.

As the OP kindly advised, best to have your passport or copy of passport at hand to be on the safe side and save yourselves a lot of inconvenience and trouble.

Also don`t get stroppy with the police, tell them what they want to hear and show them what they want to see and have a nice peaceful day.

Edited by cyberfarang

I was sitting in a restaurant in the Old City when Immigration police came to check the status of the employees (who are all Burmese and working legally.) While there, they checked all the Farang sitting and eating as well. I carry a scaled-down laminated copy of the photo page of my passport in my wallet at all times. Despite the fact that it doesn't show current visa standing, they looked at it, matched my face to the photo, and handed it back and moved on.  They were polite and efficient, doing their job, and when finished, said thank you to the owner and left.

I was sitting in a restaurant in the Old City when Immigration police came to check the status of the employees (who are all Burmese and working legally.) While there, they checked all the Farang sitting and eating as well. I carry a scaled-down laminated copy of the photo page of my passport in my wallet at all times. Despite the fact that it doesn't show current visa standing, they looked at it, matched my face to the photo, and handed it back and moved on.  They were polite and efficient, doing their job, and when finished, said thank you to the owner and left.

So it was a visa status check only for some people.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Posters are giving their experiences , no need to question everyone and try to prove that you are right .

If you are just going to argumentative and disagreeable , its better that you just read and refrain from posting

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It is actually worse than BS as until my questions are answered it could be classified as scaremongering without foundation.

Scaremongering without foundation!!

Strong words, when you get lifted for not having i.d. on you your attitude will change.

OP was trying to give other members a heads up to what was happening and you ridicule him.

Been a while but was stopping riding my bike. Farang police aux. there. Asked for DL, copy green book, tax disc, passport, visa stamps. First time for me all this. Asked why .. Good Guys In - Bad Guys Out was the reply.

As I carry laminated copies of all proof requested, received a salute and told to be on my way.

Play the Game - or get Played.

13 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Take it how you want it.

I have better things to do than defend was is only meant as a tip for anyone who cannot prove their visa status on the spot if asked.

Kunkae Juice Bar in Soi 7 Moon Muang had foreigners halued off today who could not prove their visa status when challnged by a group of immi. officers.

Thanks, most of us appreciate the tips , could save some of us spending Christmas behind the wrong kind of bars

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Thank you for reporting this, please ignore the idiots.

Yes, I do get the impression that some TV posters will be contrary about any and everything .

If someone were to post that there are no immigration checks around CM , the same posters would probably post "Oh yes there is"

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I do get the impression that some TV posters will be contrary about any and everything .

If someone were to post that there are no immigration checks around CM , the same posters would probably post "Oh yes there is"

Far too much exposure to pantomime as a child.

Whilst the topic is helpful, it might also be an idea to bear in mind that it wouldn't go amiss to ask for the ID of the person/people confronting you. Were these people in uniform , did they have ID?

It seems not long ago this type of thing was happening in BKK and it ended with an announcement that people in fact did not have to carry their passports at all times. After that it stopped. I seem to remember that when pinned down there was no actual law that says foreigners must carry ID at all times.

Yes, as I recall the law implies that a passport must be easily accessible within reasonably short timescales and 24 hours has been suggested. But it would be prudent to always carry ID anyway hence a Thai driving license or a copy of a passport would be sensible for most people to carry. FWIW I keep a photocopy of my passport and visa in my truck and always carry,  my Thai driving license.

11 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Yes. It was a visa check. But for ALL the people that were in the restaurant... employees, people eating lunch, people drinking coffee....  No one was ignored. Even the restaurant owner had to show her Thai ID card.

Fortunately, all the other diners were backpack tourists that had their packs with them and were able to show valid documentation. The employees, too, had the correct papers, so no one was asked to accompany the police when they left.  It's safe to assume that this was not the only restaurant visited, as I've seen this behavior before. This is not something unusual, just not an everyday occurrence.

The choice is yours... Carry the right documents or not. The police are doing their job. You can argue it all you want, but from my point of view, I'd rather spend two minutes showing my documents and get on with my lunch, than spend the afternoon at the police station waiting for someone to bring my documents to validate my status. Up to you, my friend.

4 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Whilst the topic is helpful, it might also be an idea to bear in mind that it wouldn't go amiss to ask for the ID of the person/people confronting you. Were these people in uniform , did they have ID?

It seems not long ago this type of thing was happening in BKK and it ended with an announcement that people in fact did not have to carry their passports at all times. After that it stopped. I seem to remember that when pinned down there was no actual law that says foreigners must carry ID at all times.

I am quite sure that there are not two different laws, one for Thais and one for non Thais .

We all live under the same laws and Thais have to provide I.D. if requested by the authorities

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

It WAS stated (by one of the higher ranking Police) that we don't have to carry our passports... BUT... we DO have to carry a copy of the passport at all times, or be able to produce it in a reasonable amount of time. It's up to you where you want to spend your time while waiting to produce it.

15 hours ago, freedomnow said:

If you don't have your passport on you, a photocopy of your visa or photo of visa page/current visa it seems

people are getting carted off to immigration investigation office until their visa status can be confirmed.

When a username of "freedomnow" (freedom now) is used to make a post regarding "freedoms" I get suspicious.

I am still concerned that this has the potential to be a copy of the "fake music licence" scam of years past.

Where is this immigration investigation office or do you just mean a Police Office. (The same one used in the music licence scams and the same BIBs?)

15 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Take it how you want it.

I carry a half size laminated copy in my wallet.  Thank you freedomnow for the reminder to update my visa copy.  Your post IS helpful. 

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

When a username of "freedomnow" (freedom now) is used to make a post regarding "freedoms" I get suspicious.

I am still concerned that this has the potential to be a copy of the "fake music licence" scam of years past.

Where is this immigration investigation office or do you just mean a Police Office. (The same one used in the music licence scams and the same BIBs?)

First, I know for a fact that it's not 'fake news' that these men came around. The police asked to see my passport. No question about THAT point.

Secondly, will YOU carry your documents?  On your assumption that they are imposters,  will you demand that they take you to their office to prove that they are legitimate? 

How will YOU choose to spend your afternoon?  Two minutes or five hours?

You sound very much the old time revival preachers, Folk Guitar.  'How will you spend eternity? ' 

Since this is without doubt the coldest day i've ever spent in T'land, i'd be pleased to get back to normal temperatures, but not of course to the warmth found in hell either for a day or eternity. 

Anyway, I'm not only very clean (a good guy) but also carry tiny copy of psprt and TM6.

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

First, I know for a fact that it's not 'fake news' that these men came around. The police asked to see my passport. No question about THAT point.

Secondly, will YOU carry your documents?  On your assumption that they are imposters,  will you demand that they take you to their office to prove that they are legitimate? 

How will YOU choose to spend your afternoon?  Two minutes or five hours?

They came around, I am not disputing your account.  But were they fake.

I am still waiting for an answer from the OP re this immigration investigation place he said people were taken to.

When the music licence police tried it on at my place I pointed to the security cameras that were pointing at them and asked for their ID.

They left and never came back to me but tried it on elsewhere.

As to whether I carry documents etc that is my business.