Immigration Officers Spot Checks for Visa Status - Old City

freedomnow

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, freedomnow said:

Take it how you want it.

I have better things to do than defend was is only meant as a tip for anyone who cannot prove their visa status on the spot if asked.

Kunkae Juice Bar in Soi 7 Moon Muang had foreigners halued off today who could not prove their visa status when challnged by a group of immi. officers.

Try to be helpful, and 2 hostile posts as usual on TV within an hour.

End of. Won't be visiting this thread to defend anything again.

Thanks for the heads up. You have been buzzed by the usual suspects that have nothing better to do than attack other posters for usually not much at all. The spelling police fall into that category.

I have been carrying my passport whenever out of the house for many years now as it seems to be going that way everywhere. If I put in the room safe it would be a problem if I were stopped as I am on my own and obviously I don't want to give others the combination.

It has been my understanding that the police will keep one locked up till someone else fronts up with the passport.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, daoyai said:

I passed by the North Gate jazz club last night at about 22:30, there were 3 police pickup trucks outside with lights flashing and many officers standing in front. Maybe related to this visa "crackdown" ?

I'd say that it might be a repeat of the situation some years ago when farangs were arrested for playing in jam sessions without a work permit.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd say that it might be a repeat of the situation some years ago when farangs were arrested for playing in jam sessions without a work permit.

More likely that its part of the nationwide crackdown on overstayers and illegal workers , same thing is happening on Samui

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True, however one has to be able to prove they are a tourist.

That's easy enough... The guys have their hair tied up in a man bun and look sloppy. The women are either wearing a halter top, bathing suit top, or circus pants. The both are carrying two-liter bottles of water in one hand, and their smartphone map in the other! :smile:

Edited by FolkGuitar

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

That's easy enough... The guys have their hair tied up in a man bun and look sloppy. The women are either wearing a halter top, bathing suit top, or circus pants. The both are carrying two-liter bottles of water in one hand, and their smartphone map in the other! :smile:

Just how much more of a chauvinistic stereotyping comment can anyone make.

I think we were talking about spot checks for visa status. We hadn't really established whether there was an actual law that determined whether you should be carrying ID the whole time. Practically, it is very difficult to carry ID the whole time and some of us are not surgically joined to our phones.

One would imagine there was some kind of Xmas / New Year directive. The logic involved with putting the directive into practice would need further details.

46 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I think we were talking about spot checks for visa status. We hadn't really established whether there was an actual law that determined whether you should be carrying ID the whole time. Practically, it is very difficult to carry ID the whole time and some of us are not surgically joined to our phones.

One would imagine there was some kind of Xmas / New Year directive. The logic involved with putting the directive into practice would need further details.

I believe it was sometime last year that one of the high-ranking police officials came to Chiang Mai and gave a talk.  NancyL gave a good synopsis of that meeting, in which the official did state that foreigners MUST have either their passport OR a photocopy of it in their possession at all times, or have it quickly available. Perhaps if Nancy is reading this thread she can give us the details. I was NOT at the meeting, and my memory is... well...  not what it once was.  I seem to recall that this law about passports was also stated by one of the even higher-up Bangkok police officials and reported in CityLife magazine. Again, don't quote me on this. But unless we are at the beach, living in a bathing suit or lungi, most of us carry a wallet of some sort. No need to carry a full passport, but a photocopy takes up little room. One folded sheet  cut to the size of a passport, copied on both sides would do the trick nicely.

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

I think we were talking about spot checks for visa status. ...

One would imagine there was some kind of Xmas / New Year directive.

Why do this now?  This would be the time of year where the overstay-percentage of those encountered would be at the Lowest frequency.  It's crowded because a bunch of people just came in for xmas/new-year - they cannot be on overstay yet.  March or April - that would make sense. 

On 12/22/2017 at 7:23 AM, canthai55 said:

Been a while but was stopping riding my bike. Farang police aux. there. Asked for DL, copy green book, tax disc, passport, visa stamps. First time for me all this. Asked why .. Good Guys In - Bad Guys Out was the reply.

As I carry laminated copies of all proof requested, received a salute and told to be on my way.

Play the Game - or get Played.

.. WHAT to do... if you kept moving on....

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Why do this now?  This would be the time of year where the overstay-percentage of those encountered would be at the Lowest frequency.  It's crowded because a bunch of people just came in for xmas/new-year - they cannot be on overstay yet.  March or April - that would make sense. 

Perhaps they're not looking just for people on overstay, criminals take holidays also. Plus more people get out and about at Xmas time, especially since the weather is more pleasant, not a bad time really to do spot checks since the potential exists to catch all sorts.

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Perhaps they are working on a quota system, ie need to haul a certain amount of people in , before they can go on New Year break !! :ph34r:

To fill the quota system actually need to have tourists around so what better time than New year !