Why do "defenders of the public" have to buy their own guns?

webfact

15 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"Totally different to the concept of a modern professional police service. "

This is the root of my whole argument!

If you are not going to start changing the circumstances in which police join the force, you are never going to clean it up. Not ever!

Everyone would  like to see a clean police force. If you don't start with the little, controllable things, then you never really get started at all.

This idea that you must solve everything or do nothing is garbage.

"This idea that you must solve everything or do nothing is garbage."

Never said that.  However, providing guns free or at highly subsidized low price a la Sig Sauer (supposedly) is hardly likely to make much of a impact on a highly unique police service that functions within a highly unique legal system, now is it?

You have to start somewhere. Free guns, really? You think that's the best place to start?

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

"This idea that you must solve everything or do nothing is garbage."

Never said that.  However, providing guns free or at highly subsidized low price a la Sig Sauer (supposedly) is hardly likely to make much of a impact on a highly unique police service that functions within a highly unique legal system, now is it?

You have to start somewhere. Free guns, really? You think that's the best place to start?

Kudos on a good turn of phrase! (I mean that sincerely; I love good wordsmithing)

However, the argument that I am making is that if you force a new officer to show up for work on his first day several tens of thousands of Baht in debt (weapon/uniform/transportation?/other/etc.), the struggle is lost before it begins. It essentially guarantees that he will resort to criminal activity to recoup the money that he had to spend (legally) for his job. And that isn't counting any other...ahem...er... irregular expenses required to get the position at all.

Stating that arriving on day one in a 'highly unique police service within a highly unique legal system" drowning in debt is not a good place to start fighting corruption doesn't make sense. 

But, okay.

Where would you suggest things start?

Cheers

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They are defenders of the public

Nice one.... although I call BS

it seems, more and more, that social media is the defender of the public.... and given the prevelance of guns owned by every sometom, somedick and someharry, I think that the public defenders are already well armed. (I’m worried about somedick, actually.... I think somedick... alldicks even, should be deprived of weapons)

4 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Nice one.... although I call BS

it seems, more and more, that social media is the defender of the public.... and given the prevelance of guns owned by every sometom, somedick and someharry, I think that the public defenders are already well armed. (I’m worried about somedick, actually.... I think somedick... alldicks even, should be deprived of weapons)

Careful, you may upset our American allies!

5 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I daresay "Woe unto the US cop that loses a department issued firearm".

He'll be REAL LUCKY if he isn't fired on the spot.

I've never been a cop, but I know in the US Army if you lose a firearm there is utter, complete, mortal HELL to pay, such as reduction in rank, forfeiture of pay, and perhaps prison time depending on the situation.

Yet if you lose a leg ??

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

As does Thailand in general.

Not often, consistently or conscientiously enough from what I see. 

However, some must do I concede. 

Statistically it’s more or less impossible it never happens.  

Edited by Bluespunk

I think that a good starting point would be to employ decent minded people and train them properly and pay them a decent wage so that they are interested in doing their job properly and not be corrupt, but you must supply them with all the equipment (uniforms, handcuffs, guns, cars, motorbikes, etc) that they need to do their job.

Police work in Thailand is a business for profit on all levels from the individual level to the whole structure of the Royal Thai Police.

You pay to join as an NCO, you pay to enter the preparatory school, you pay to become a commissioned officer, you pay for your promotions, you pay your expenses on the job, your motorbike, your weapon, your boots.

You collect money in conjuction with the policies and practices of your station and the opportunities that arise from arrests and complaints.

You bung the required money upstairs every week without fail. The money flows up and the station commander ensures that every subordinate officer knows the minimum he needs to bung and the maximum he is allowed to keep.

You hope that your revenue-raising activities are sufficient to cover your expenses, your bungs, your capital outlays and still allow you to live comfortably. They usually will be.

It is foolish to project the norms of Western policing on to the Royal Thai Police. They operate in total different ways. Chalk and cheese.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Interesting? 

Do the police officers who drive the Hondas and BMW motorbikes and cars on the Chonburi Motorway have to buy them? 

police-car-highway-police-station-sub-di

Or are we talking about provincial village plod, here?  

In Asia although the system seems strange or wrong to "westerners" there is usually a totally plausible explanation which makes sense in Asia.

That’s some lovely equipment right there (RHS)..... great for policing the highways and byways of Thailand, enforcing the law, etc etc

whats that you say?.... they don’t use these to enforce the road law?

must be because they have to buy their own petrol

53 minutes ago, farcanell said:

That’s some lovely equipment right there (RHS)..... great for policing the highways and byways of Thailand, enforcing the law, etc etc

whats that you say?.... they don’t use these to enforce the road law?

must be because they have to buy their own petrol

Hey, they use them to go out and collect their tea money

I am glad that Thailand at least makes the police carry firearms. The  Brit Bobbys never

used to pack guns, and how effective did that make them?

I know that the police are corrupt but so are those watch wearing politicians,and maybe,  Lawyers,

and other educated people. It is Asia is it not?

Geezer