First Visit 34 Days, Do I need Visa? URGENT flying 4th Jan

I understand as a first time Tourist from UK I'm automaticaly allowed to stay for 30 days.

Problem is I booked flights leaving 4th Jan, returning 7th Feb,  (34 days), before knowing any of this.

Do I need a visa?  Can I get one at the airport? or  should I get an earlier flight home? :sad:

thanks in advance.

You should either;

1. Get a single entry tourist visa at the Thai Embassy/consulate, you are running out of time.

2.  Book an earlier flight home.

3. Buy a cheap ticket online the shows you exiting Thailand within the 30 days.  It does not have to be back to the UK, but to any neighboring country.  It might cost less than trying to re book you return flight.

If you show up at the airport and do not have one of the above, the Airline might not let you board your flight.  Not a good way to start a vacation!

You can also extend a 30-day tourist visa exemption at Immigration within Thailand (adding another 30 days, for 1,900 baht), so I expect the airlines may factor this into the equation before denying boarding.

I agree that having a (for example) DMK-PNH (one way/throw-away, or return to satisfy a 30 day exit/re-entry) on AirAsia would be a good back-up plan.

Either way you'll have to do something as most would recommend not overstaying, even for as little as four days (for which the fee might be 1,500 or 2,000 baht).

Indeed IATA database still says a visa is required for any entry over 30 days so airline can refuse to carry unless you show an exit to a country your would be allowed entry in less than that time.

You really should know requirements for entry before booking travel.  Those selling tickets should probably provide such guidance but they prefer to put onus on buyer.  You can not obtain a visa at airport.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC

Edited by lopburi3

Your initial problem may be with the airline that bring you to Thailand. Because you are traveling without a visa the airline might insist that you have a return/onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days of entry. If you don't have that they can deny boarding. A return flight after 34 days might be accepted. If not you could buy a throw away ticket to anywhere to satisfy the airline.

If you enter without a visa and get 30 days you can extend that by another 30 days at a local immigration office for 1,900 baht. You can apply within the last few days of the initial 30.

If you overstay by 4 days you will be fined 2,000 baht at the airport on exit from the country, and will almost certainly receive an overstay stamp in your passport. If you get caught on overstay before getting to the airport you can be arrested, detained (until your flight), prosecuted and banned from Thailand for 5 years.

If you get a Single Entry Tourist Visa before leaving the UK, you won't need an onward flight, you'll be granted 60 days on entry which will cover your 34 days, and there'll be no need for an extension of stay or an overstay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

You can book a return  flight to Kuala Lupur 16-18 JAN for about 60 BP  ( no visa required )

or Phnom Penh, Cambodua  78 GBP  ( visa required  25 UDS )

I used 16-18 JAN  to check the price with Air Asia  in case you can to visit but you can do the return flight the same day.

As it was a short visit , I did not add extra like  checked baggage or meal.

I like KL myself   as it is easy . If you go in KL there is a modern airport train or a bus service.

With a ticket from  Air Asia boarding in UK will not be a problem.

You just want a cheap ticket and will no use it. book a one way to KL.

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You can also extend a 30-day tourist visa exemption at Immigration within Thailand (adding another 30 days, for 1,900 baht), so I expect the airlines may factor this into the equation before denying boarding.

They don't - but you can sometimes be allowed to board by signing a waiver, accepting responsibility if refused entry. 

I agree that having a (for example) DMK-PNH (one way/throw-away, or return to satisfy a 30 day exit/re-entry) on AirAsia would be a good back-up plan.

Best to get there early, so you have time for booking this flight, so you can board, if you can't talk them into letting you on, otherwise.

Either way you'll have to do something as most would recommend not overstaying, even for as little as four days (for which the fee might be 1,500 or 2,000 baht).

The fee is 1900 Baht for 30 extra days, done at the immigration-office serving the area where one is staying.

4 minutes ago, maprao said:

He can say he is travelling to Ankor Watt in Cambodia by road then back into Thailand. ..get a cambodia visa online for 20 USD. You can show the airline intent to travel. Then extend at immigration

Bbelieve few, if any, airlines are interested in anything but verifiable airline tickets out of the country within the permitted to stay time period if they abide by the IATA guidelines.. This seems to be especially true for long-haul flights. 

Bbelieve few, if any, airlines are interested in anything but verifiable airline tickets out of the country within the permitted to stay time period if they abide by the IATA guidelines.. This seems to be especially true for long-haul flights. 
Thanks. I stand corrected you are right[emoji106]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

You are eligible for a visa exempt entry of 30 days. Nothing is 'automatic'.

If the immigration officer has had a bad day you may not get in. Extremely unlikely though.

But do please behave and realise the guy that you are standing in front of is a policeman, a real life policeman, even though he looks different to the cops you may be used to. Don't get cheeky or be a smart arse on the way from the plane to passport control. There are many sets of eyes watching you.

Be prepared to answer questions such as what are your plans, where are you going and where are you staying. This is the worst case scenario. Have some cash with you and maybe a hotel booking and flight schedule on your phone or a printout.

Not likely to need it but as the boy scouts say - be prepared.

Above all look and be respectful...don't forget you are asking permission to enter his/her country (the I/O's country).

It's up to him/her to grant your wish.

Edited by tryasimight

• 2 weeks later...

HI everyone, just want to say thanks.  I read every reply and am so grateful for the speed of them and some brilliant ones, what a great community.  In the end I paid for an earlier flight home.  5 weeks was maybe a bit much for a first time in Thailand anyway so it's worked out well, thanks again <3

4 hours ago, Never Been Abroad said:

5 weeks was maybe a bit much

I came here on 29 March 1998 with a first class return ticket.  I'm still here and still have the ticket and keep it just for laughs!