When to re-new Ret visa ?

14 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

I should   go to get another retirement visa.

If it's a real, genuine McCoy non-O visa that you're after, please clarify whether you plan to obtain this from Vientiane, Penang or Savannakhet.

• Thanks 1

I had same ? and was in Immi Phuket town 22Dec and asked, he said 30 days , HOWEVER, after the fact I though wait,

what about the bank funds 3 months needed for renew (2 for new)

so I am guessing that yes 30 days IF have 3 months with the funds.... with the bank letter...

cheers all...

19 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

O K Thanks

I thought probably so.

( great quote by a great man )

"I don't want to believe. I want to know." ― Carl Sagan

30-days depend on the local Immigration Office, some will not extend your stay 30 days before the old permission expire, but only 1-2 weeks before. And some Immigration Offices, that normally extend up to a month before, will not do it in December, but ask you to come back after New Year, about January 10th. 

There has just been a post about it, in another (local) thread about Extension of Stay...:smile:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

You can renew right up to the expiry date of the existing permit to stay.

Maybe true,but,a bit 'chancy' though,if they decide to be a bit 'official' and ask for extra paperwork,or something that takes their fancy that you need to do a 'runabout' for,Banks etc, the day the date is up for the 'O' visa(usually 4.30 that office day) you can be told to leave the country and apply for a new visa.

"...the day the date is up for the 'O' visa(usually 4.30 that office day) you can be told to leave the country and apply for a new visa"

No, you can't. 

The extension hasn't expired until after midnight that day.  4.30pm, or the closing time of the office (usually much later, they don't throw people out if they have a ticket) is irrelevant.

Edited by Just Weird

4 hours ago, eddysmit said:

Maybe true,but,a bit 'chancy' though,if they decide to be a bit 'official' and ask for extra paperwork,or something that takes their fancy that you need to do a 'runabout' for,Banks etc, the day the date is up for the 'O' visa(usually 4.30 that office day) you can be told to leave the country and apply for a new visa.

I agree it's "a bit chancy" and wouldn't recommend anyone waits until the last day, however, the point was that you can.

You can be told to leave and get a new visa, but in most cases immigration would still process a renewal within a few days past the renewal date, subject to paying any overstay fines. Again, not recommend but possible.