Thailand.

Hello dear members,

The year is coming to an end. Time for reflection i would say and to look ahead.

We all are connected to this country, out if choice mostly, for various different reasons and we all bring our own personal history with us by living in this land.

We all see the day to day goings on in this nation, which is on many matters different then where we come from originally ( is it really though ? )

What is it what you would like to change here and what is it which you consider is better here than where you come from ?

Thailand is in our hearts !

What is it what you would like to change here

Visa regulations, exchange rates, higher standard of bargirl appearance currently on display, night life that doesn't stop at midnight or 2 am, a tsunami to wash away all those concrete resorts on the islands, Thai cooks that can make sweet and sour the way I like it, imported food that doesn't cost 100% more than at home, pedestrian crossings that incorporate a steel barrier rising out of the road every 50 meters in the cities, longer Skytrains and lifts that work to the platforms, taxis in Pattaya and Chiang Mai that actually use the meter, police that arrest scammers instead of aiding and abetting, more English language programmes on tv.

and what is it which you consider is better here than where you come from ?

It's hot

the girls are prettier, and friendlier.

It's hot

It's way cheaper

It's hot

I can afford to holiday on the beach

It's hot

they have barbeers

it's hot

I can buy antibiotics over the counter, and doctors are affordable

It's hot

Taxis are affordable

It's hot

Trains are affordable and I can sleep on them overnight ( saving an hotel bill )

It's hot.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is it what you would like to change here

Visa regulations, exchange rates, higher standard of bargirl appearance currently on display, night life that doesn't stop at midnight or 2 am, a tsunami to wash away all those concrete resorts on the islands, Thai cooks that can make sweet and sour the way I like it, imported food that doesn't cost 100% more than at home, pedestrian crossings that incorporate a steel barrier rising out of the road every 50 meters in the cities, longer Skytrains and lifts that work to the platforms, taxis in Pattaya and Chiang Mai that actually use the meter, police that arrest scammers instead of aiding and abetting, more English language programmes on tv.

and what is it which you consider is better here than where you come from ?

It's hot

the girls are prettier, and friendlier.

It's hot

It's way cheaper

It's hot

I can afford to holiday on the beach

It's hot

they have barbeers

it's hot

I can buy antibiotics over the counter, and doctors are affordable

It's hot

Taxis are affordable

It's hot

Trains are affordable and I can sleep on them overnight ( saving an hotel bill )

It's hot.

Cheap, cheaper hotter girls and hot. Sufficient for you i read. 

I think since we are not citizens, it is rather presumptuous to come to another culture and want to change things...

I would hope that some of the unhappy expats here will learn to accept and appreciate the things about Thailand which are different. We are guests here and I would think that nobody likes a guest who complains. 

If I could change anything, it might be the attitude of some of the expats - 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I think since we are not citizens, it is rather presumptuous to come to another culture and want to change things...

I would hope that some of the unhappy expats here will learn to accept and appreciate the things about Thailand which are different. We are guests here and I would think that nobody likes a guest who complains. 

If I could change anything, it might be the attitude of some of the expats - 

Personally i dont like a guest who does not pay. The one who pays has a right to complain.

2 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Personally i dont like a guest who does not pay. The one who pays has a right to complain.

Not sure I get this BTDT? - As far as being expats here, I don't remember an invitation? I chose to come here. I doubt any country welcomes in people who complain about their system and their cultural ways... you don't go to Switzerland and then complain that it gets cold in the mountains in winter time... 

4 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Not sure I get this BTDT? - As far as being expats here, I don't remember an invitation? I chose to come here. I doubt any country welcomes in people who complain about their system and their cultural ways... you don't go to Switzerland and then complain that it gets cold in the mountains in winter time... 

Ohhh, does this mean that in your personal life overhere nothing EVER needed to improve. All must have been perfect for you from day 1. Well done.:saai:

I don't wish to change anything about Thailand, unintended consequence and all that.

What I like better than where I came from - people smile at me, in the street, in the shops, people are polite and whilst it may not be 100% genuine in every case, it's far better than being scowled at or worse all the time.

2 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Ohhh, does this mean that in your personal life overhere nothing EVER needed to improve. All must have been perfect for you from day 1. Well done.:saai:

No, of course not - but you are being sarcastic... and I was being sincere. I assumed you wanted sincere responses. No, my life is not perfect, though pretty darn good - and you can bet that complaining would not have improved my circumstances - and actually, being a complainer is not a particularly helpful trait anywhere... it doesn't change anything and people tend to avoid your company... as mostly it becomes repetitive and boring....

I suspect that most complainers would find an equal or greater amount to complain about elsewhere too.. Where somme people like to complain about Thailand, I have spent my time learning language and trying to understand what you folks disdain as Thai logic... I see poor people here being happier than middle class people in my home country and it interests me... 

As to the things that need to be improved, I take it upon myself to change or make better choices. I don't blame it on other cultures or governments... but I never had an illusion that things could or will be perfect.