Thai Immigration police beef up security at airports for holidaymakers

webfact

21 minutes ago, Propellerhead said:

I've done this more than a half dozen times this past year at both BKK and DMK without any issue or so much as a peep from a police whistle. I'm quick about it and load myself in less than 10 seconds. The drivers are grateful for an easy return fare and it sure beats waiting 20-30 minutes in queue.

It's not trouble for you but it's apparently big trouble for the taxi drivers 

I got an uber car to pick me up at the airport last week and we couldn't find each other at the entrance and the guy was stressed the fuk out lol

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, however I'm quite old and can't walk all that far. I did brave it a few weeks ago and walked across the covered footbridge to the Amari hotel but the hotel staff insisted I could not hail a taxi on their premises, so had to slowly walk out to the main road.

Also a few weeks back my back, legs and knees were quite bad so I asked for a wheel chair to meet me at the aircraft door and went to the 'Airport Taxi' desk (not the public taxi). Rude abrupt staff, 600Baht to the Ramkhamhaeng area and 1 hour wait plus need to get to their own car park which is 20 minute walk from their desk inside the terminal. I asked if the car could come to the terminal building because I can't walk so far. Girl gave abrupt answer 'mai dai' (cannot) and returned to playing games on her phone.

Today I will call 'All Thai Tax' (operated by same company as Nakorn Chai Air Bus company) and see if I can order a taxi.

That is a pretty rude response from her and warrants a complaint

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

Agreed, the wife and I just flew back from Hong Kong last week, nothing new happening at the Suvarnabhumi immigration lines

What? . . . you mean it might just be all sonic sound bites, again, and the remote chance of queues, this weekend? Better order the eggs now, methinks.

In mid-December, I flew out of Manila.  Immigration didn't take a fingerprint IN, but the system was online when I left.  They took one finger - the right index.  And as much as I would like to say something bad, it didn't add more than 5 seconds to my time at the window.

Now, let's see how bad the Thai's can mess this up ... 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Plus, a few weeks back I took the 5.25 am Lion flight to Ho Chi Minh City.

Checked-in and went straight to the passport lines. No officers on duty at all both Thai and foreign lines, I just stood there and waited for nearly an hour, then1 passport officer appeared, by that time perhaps 40 people on both lines.

I was in the Thai line because I have PR and the imm. people like you to use the Thai line. When the officer who appeared went to the Thai line desk many foreigners tried to join that queue, officer yelled loudly to go back to the foreigner line.

I got to the departure gate 10 minutes before boarding started. 

During the time I stood waiting for an imm. officer to appear there was not one person on duty in the whole area, anybody could have just walked through.

Serious management failure. 

Must of been a card game on

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, however I'm quite old and can't walk all that far. I did brave it a few weeks ago and walked across the covered footbridge to the Amari hotel but the hotel staff insisted I could not hail a taxi on their premises, so had to slowly walk out to the main road.

Also a few weeks back my back, legs and knees were quite bad so I asked for a wheel chair to meet me at the aircraft door and went to the 'Airport Taxi' desk (not the public taxi). Rude abrupt staff, 600Baht to the Ramkhamhaeng area and 1 hour wait plus need to get to their own car park which is 20 minute walk from their desk inside the terminal. I asked if the car could come to the terminal building because I can't walk so far. Girl gave abrupt answer 'mai dai' (cannot) and returned to playing games on her phone.

Today I will call 'All Thai Tax' (operated by same company as Nakorn Chai Air Bus company) and see if I can order a taxi.

The limo service is quite good, but the geographical knowledge of some drivers does leave a bit to be desired. The Limo at Swampy is excellent.

8 hours ago, geisha said:

ARE there’ always long arrival queues at Don Muang these days? Haven’t used this airport in a long while, will be travelling middle January to Penang and back . Thanks. 

The last few times I have used a taxi from DMK it was usually a minimum 30 minutes to an hour wait. No big deal...go out over the driveway and have a smoke....go up to the 7/11 and get a drink. Just make sure you get your ticket before doing this. On one occasion I managed to queue jump as a Thai lady must have got sick of waiting and gave me her ticket as she was leaving the waiting room before I got mine from the machine.

Found out something interesting the other day when coming back into Swampy. I live close to the airport and rather than waste the taxi drivers time for a short run (I know they queue) I normally get the train to Lat Krabang and then jump a taxi to my house. 

Last weekend I went to Phuket with my Mrs and found out after we landed there is a separate queue at Swampy for local drops, nobody in the queue, there are a few drivers waiting to do the local journeys, still with the 50 baht surcharge. happy days.

Sorry for going off topic but it seems the thread went that way haha.

As for immigration police and more security, I would rather they man the desks so we can get through quicker. On a side note waiting for a flight last Saturday at swampy (we got to the plane on the bus only to get brought back to the terminal while they changed planes, Bangkok Air) I was sat watching a promotional video for the airport and they focussed on the smiles, I have yet to see an immigration officer at the airport smile after 14 years living here however polite and friendly I am.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hard to tell what exactly they mean in the OP news report, as the reference to fingerprinting is part of a discussion about their treatment of unsavory suspects.

But the Thai wife and I flew back into Suvarnabhumi earlier this month, and there was no fingerprinting of either of us upon arrival in passing thru Immigration. Nor was there any fingerprinting on the outbound trip earlier in the month.

Nor for me last Thursday....and I expect no again this coming Thursday. Have to wait and see I guess.

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

OMG and I never thought I would be one of those pansies that makes that awful exclamation! We've got not just one ineffectual department but three of the fokkers. And, just because they want everyone to know that they've got up off their asses, they've had a flizzin' CEREMONY - not to celebrate the triumvirate's success, but just to dispatch the teams to where they have to remain off their asses. And, we might reasonably ask 'what are they going to improve?'

We're promised 2 things, Immigration Bureau Pol Lt Gen - oh, oh, that's the dodgy bit; a bleedin' general, as Boss of Immigration - Suttipong Wongpin proudly announced:-

1.  More officials at Immigration desks and interpreters to help with the tourist rush. Yes, that must be GOOD . . . there's been a deafening clamour for it for 4 months, already, since airport queues news last hit the fan.
  2.  Interception of individuals considered a threat to national security, illegal immigrants, drug dealers and human traffickers. Biometrics and fingerprints will be collected from every individual upon arrival. Holy Shits and Old Mother Riley! . . . is he joking about the fingerprints or what? It's recently been mooted that good customs control should take no more than 20 seconds per person (camera scan, address noted, passport barcode scan, stamp, wink & smile). How much longer will it take for EVERYONE to be fingerprinted? The mind boggles at the pictures of what has to be a recipe for Thailand's disaster of the year . . . well there hasn't really been a good one, so far, has there? 

And I was hoping 'love at first sight' would have had me getting a leg over between passport control and picking up my suitcase.  Hey, I'm willing to pay for this service.....even if it is 'fast tracked'.

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

I guess the Love at First Sight slogan doesn't quite fit you. Who comes up with these absurdities is beyond me.

Taxi rides in Bangkok may seem expensive at 600 baht, or 25 dollars US

but it costs me 70 dollars Canadian from my house to the airport which Is about

40 kms. So I know I am getting a deal even if I am overcharged a bit in Thailand

I know as well that most taxi drivers cannot afford to travel to my country every

year or two.

Geeze

Avoid flying if you can - the queues will be terrible. These airports dont need more security but a lean, much more efficient immigration system; latter needs to be revamped from scratch.

Everything else is smoke screen; just wait for airport extensions by the government = see submarines! 

23 hours ago, Alex Sharp said:

7200 flights in and out over 7 days ???? Guess they will be busy.

22 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

When you arrive at Don Mueng  using half the immigration booths are manned The other half of immigration are either walking around doing nothing or in staff room playing card or watching kick boxing

or on their phones!

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Taxi rides in Bangkok may seem expensive at 600 baht, or 25 dollars US

but it costs me 70 dollars Canadian from my house to the airport which Is about

40 kms. So I know I am getting a deal even if I am overcharged a bit in Thailand

I know as well that most taxi drivers cannot afford to travel to my country every

year or two.

Geeze

Canada has zilch to do with Thailand 

On 12/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, wvavin said:

Please do not sabotage the taxi driver. The airport is monitoring the drop off point and would issue tickets to any taxi drivers picking up passengers at the departure drive way. 

I do it regularly.  Never a problem, even with security watching