Is Microsoft Surface any good?

sikishrory

On 1/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, prophet01 said:

Absolutely this.

I bought a Surface Pro 2 back in early 2014 and I absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately after 3 good years it one day failed to boot. After much investigation the conclusion was that the SSD was toast and pretty much impossible to swap out

See this link: It's TOOL-PROOF and ultimately destined for LANDFILL

Other than that, as I said, I loved the machine.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Other than that, I think Abe Lincoln really enjoyed the play, too.

Ha Ha, whereas you can only surmise that he enjoyed the play, I can categorically confirm that I loved the machine for all of its 3 year life.

Edited by prophet01

• 1 month later...

For the record. I ended up getting a Lenovo miix 520 for 40,000 from jib.

Probably better than a Surface in terms of cost and service support. Also has a very long 3yr warranty.

Not a huge fan of it though. I still like the idea of it being a hybrid 2 in 1 but Windows 10 is so incredibly frustrating to use.

I hadn't used Windows for years and thought it would be a smooth experience but it isn't. 

So many odd little bugs and things that happen that make no sense. I could list half a page but it's a waste of time.

The only advantage this 40k device has for me over my galaxy tab s (you can buy these for 3500b now) is a slightly better word processing experience.

I wouldn't recommend one. 

So what you're saying is you don't like the operating system, but the hardware is OK.  And, you haven't used Windows for years.  Looks like you set yourself up to fail. Windows has never been easy for casual use.  Either you spend the time to learn the idiosyncrasies, or you go for something less complicated.  That said, anything can be complicated if you don't immerse yourself in the experience.  I hope you find your green pasture...

The hardware is fine but what good is it without an OS?

As for "learning" Windows, the complexity (or lack of) is not what I was referring too. The bugginess is incredible and I am surprised they even released it. You click things and they don't come up. Sometimes things work and sometimes things don't work. I am not sure if the OS would perform better on a laptop or not but I am guessing only slightly.

It's a frustrating and sometimes unstable user experience.

On 20/02/2018 at 4:12 AM, sikishrory said:

The hardware is fine but what good is it without an OS?

As for "learning" Windows, the complexity (or lack of) is not what I was referring too. The bugginess is incredible and I am surprised they even released it. You click things and they don't come up. Sometimes things work and sometimes things don't work. I am not sure if the OS would perform better on a laptop or not but I am guessing only slightly.

It's a frustrating and sometimes unstable user experience.

Difficult to understand your issues without examples. My Mrs had a lenovo and it had similar sounding issues it was erratic. I have had an S3 for 3 years and I had very little problems with it thankfully. The biggest issue I had was with charging cables but that is not really about the product. S3 gets used all the time. I cannot make comparisons with lenovo or a Samsung device as I would not give them the time of day when considering a PC purchase. We use a Samsung tablet for watching/surfing. We have a S2 as a back up that's never been used. Really happy with my S3 and whilst I want to upgrade I cannot justify it as I have no issues even in its 3rd year. I treat the S3 very well though.

• 4 weeks later...

Microsoft recently opened a store in Singapore that should have the Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro line. Currently in Thailand I have only seen the surface line for sale. I have a Surface Pro 3 it is amazing; faster than my laptop with almost no boot up time. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I like the SD card slot, I only wish that Microsoft would have made the USB port on the power adapter capable of reading data instead of just charging devices. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 1:26 PM, scotsman said:

I have a surface pro 4 its now over 2 years old and for the last 6 months it has a hardware problem that a lot of owners are suffering from. overheating causing screen flickering and they will not fix it. If you are still in warranted they will replace it with a refurbished one that will end up having the same problem. I do hope the new model will not have this problem but Microsoft will not care if it does.

regards

Scotsman

Hi  Just to update this thread my surface pro 4 the screen started to come out from the body left hand side bulge, so I was going to send for a refurbished replacement at the cost of over 15000 baht but my credit card was rejected. So I asked Microsoft to give me a call on there callback settings on the there web site. They called me back after about 25 min and I informed the lady about my problem. I was transferred to a different department and I also informed them about my problem.  I was told that this was a health and safety problem as the Battery was expanding due to overheating and I should stop using it right away. Then I had to send them many photographs of the damage which I did. I was told they will look at the photos and make a decision on if I will get a refurbished replacement one for FREE.

I was very excited about this but I was also skeptical about it but sure enough they sent me a e-mail telling me they were going to post out a replacement FREE of charge. I had to restore my old one to factory settings scrubbing the hard drive and wait for there parcel courier to come and collect it as it has to go back to America in a safe way. My refurbished one has arrived and I am very happy so its a big plus on Microsoft for there customer support. I would never have got this replacement if it was not for my expanding battery or my credit card being refused so there as still many surface pro 4 owners out there who still have devices that shake and flicker after a short time being switched on and making it a desktop not a tablet , laptop .  I hope for now my replacement one does not start shaking and flickering in the future.   

Regards

Scotsman          

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...