British Consular Type Office In Phuket

markg

I had to ring the UK Embassy in Bkk yesterday to inform them of something. They rang me back for a chat - all very nice. Then a couple of hours later, another man rang me, asked for me by name and said he was the British representative of the consular office right here in Phuket.

I said, " i didnt know we had offices here in Phuket". He said, well, its on all the websites and appears all over the place in magazines - where have you been boy?

So i have just had a look at the Brit Embassy website and there is no mention.

A quick google search for "British consular services in Phuket" brings nothing back.

I think he did mention to me that his job was unpaid.........and his office was at Island Furniture.

I have his name and phone number.

Did anyone else know that we have this service right here in Phuket? I will try and find out exactly what services they do offer - as i m sure it will/could save many of us a trip to Bkk.

Mark

He is worthless. Never responds to emails, never returns phone calls. No wonder the BKK embassy removed him from their site a few months ago. He used to be prominently displayed next to the Chiang Mai consul... Seriously, he cannot help you unless you are arrested and then he gives you a list of lawyers to call.

Not unlike the German consul here, where all kinds of things can be done with them. Shame really. We could use a REAL consular office here.

There has been a British sub-consul on the island for probably 10 years or more.

Yes - that's what he told me. Kinda seems to want to keep it to himself though..............like i said, i might have missed it but i cant find any reference to it on the Embassy website. And i dont know any expats that knew about it. All the people i spoke to were as shocked as me!

I had noticed this too. The British Embassy Web site is conspicuously silent about local consular support in Phuket - but I imagine that there's some complex reason for this. Maybe someone should ask the Embassy to "come clean" over this.

He is worthless. Never responds to emails, never returns phone calls. No wonder the BKK embassy removed him from their site a few months ago. He used to be prominently displayed next to the Chiang Mai consul... Seriously, he cannot help you unless you are arrested and then he gives you a list of lawyers to call.

Doesn't sound unusual, I thought that was standard operating procedure for British embassies and consulates around the world. Biggest waste of taxpayer's money ever that lot.

Doesn't sound unusual, I thought that was standard operating procedure for British embassies and consulates around the world. Biggest waste of taxpayer's money ever that lot.

Particularly since (in Phuket at least) this is an unpaid position ....

I had to ring the UK Embassy in Bkk yesterday to inform them of something. They rang me back for a chat - all very nice.

The most surprising thing I find is that you were able to got through to them on the phone. Was that just luck or do you have a secret number?

I also saw the German consular office, do you happen to know what kinds of services are offered there?
Not unlike the German consul here, where all kinds of things can be done with them. Shame really. We could use a REAL consular office here.

They do all the same paperwork what embassies are doing: Visa applications, re-newing paasports etc.

These honorary consules don't get paid from their governments but they are allowed to keep all the fees for doing the paperwork.

Gerd

so anyway........................................

can someone let me have the contact details anyway as I really can't be bothered having to go to bangkok so its worth a try

Yes - on the understanding that you buy us a pint and also post ALL the services that the geezer provides.

Ok?

Its Alan Cooke. Tel 0818934200. He is in Phuket.

He came to the hospital to visit my sick friend which was nice of him. Couldnt do much more than offer moral support and suggest a few hotels and cheaper hospitals - which i guess a tourist would have found usefull.

By the way - there is now accommodation AT bangkok phuket hospital - within their grounds. I believe it is merely adequate and its 1500 a night, but at least you are right there and you dont have to fanny about with taxi's.

Deal?

Island Furniture, across from Kajoinkietsuksa school. Another point of reference is that the furniture shop is across from Villa 5, off Chao Fa road west (Central to Chalong highway).

Good luck. Careful with the prices there. A total tuk tuk style ripoff joint if I ever seen one. :o

so anyway........................................

can someone let me have the contact details anyway as I really can't be bothered having to go to bangkok so its worth a try

So this guy can handle passport applications ??

That could be very handy as my brother needs a new passport and wants a second passport also.. Have to say I am surprised !!

I'm not sure LivinLos. I asked him on the phone and i m pretty sure he said he couldnt handle passport applications. However - the good news is, BKK office are very efficient. They turned my renewal around in 28 days. They even answered emails when i queried where it was!

Good luck

If anyone does contact mr Cooke - could they post what services he does actually provide.

• 2 years later...

I've only got his personal mobile number, which I'm sure he doesn't want released on a public forum! Probably best to contact the British Embassy in Bangkok for contacts, as it looks as though they have not updated their website with Phuket contacts (only Chiang Mai & Pattaya). I'm guessing because Mr Carpenter's appointment is very recent.

So this guy can handle passport applications ??

That could be very handy as my brother needs a new passport and wants a second passport also.. Have to say I am surprised !!

I found the Embassy in Bangkok to be very efficient when sending off for a new passport by post from Phuket last year and refreshingly honest! Took just under 3 weeks and I must have sent a bit too much money for the postage? because when I opened my spanking new passport 2 100baht notes fell out of it!