Phuket survives first day of New Year Seven Days of Danger with no deaths

webfact

Phuket survives first day of New Year Seven Days of Danger with no deaths

The Phuket News

1514524852_1-org.jpg

Phuket Has survived the first 24 hours of this year's Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign for the New Year with no deaths. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The first day of the New Year Seven Days of Danger, Thursday (Dec 28), drew to a close at midnight last night without any deaths on Phuket’s roads, though six people were injured in six accidents, all involving motorcycles, with most being due to alcohol.

Prapan Kanprasang, Chief of the Phuket Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Phuket office (DDPM-Phuket), confirmed to the The Phuket News this morning, “There were no deaths on the first day of the New Year Seven Days of Danger. However, there were six accidents, all involving motorbikes, which left six people with minor injuries.

“Two accidents were due to alcohol consumption,” he said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-survives-first-day-of-new-year-seven-days-of-danger-with-no-deaths-65335.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-29

While any day without a death is good news, from the main article I see just 16 people were fined for dangerous/reckless driving. Given what I witness on the roads every day, one can only assume the cops were dishing out said tickets for about half an hour. Had they dished out several hundred, only then could you really say they were truly tackling the awful way so many drive here and that is what will really bring the victim count down long term.

30 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

While any day without a death is good news, from the main article I see just 16 people were fined for dangerous/reckless driving. Given what I witness on the roads every day, one can only assume the cops were dishing out said tickets for about half an hour. Had they dished out several hundred, only then could you really say they were truly tackling the awful way so many drive here and that is what will really bring the victim count down long term.

"Had they dished out several hundred, only then could you really say they were truly tackling the awful way so many drive here" - enforcing the law by fining drivers / riders is one thing, enforcing that the fines get paid is another.

With most Thai's on Phuket coming from poorer Provinces in Thailand, I doubt the fines get paid, so very little deterrent, and as for the foreigners, the fines are small for them, so also very little deterrent. 

If the road laws were to be seriously enforced here, the island would practically cease to function.  How would people get from Point A to Point B?