3BB vs TOT vs CAT vs AIS Fiber optic comparison

ethaniel

image.png.ca6c10f543b883e0dac0ea2d9cb6ea4b.png

Hello everyone, I live on Koh Samui and I am a web developer.

I have servers in Moscow, Russia that I use to do a speedtest on every 120 seconds from each of the 8 fiber optic lines that I have access to (2 x 3BB, 3 x TOT, 1 x CAT, 1 x AIS).

Just wanted to share with you my observations.

What you see on the graph is the average speed of a 10 second download from my servers in Moscow (which have gigabit access to Europe).

It helps me understand how congested are the international lines of each provider here on the island.

Here are my observations for the last 4 months:

1st place. 3BB. 2-3 megabits per international connection per second. Almost never slows down during peak times.

2nd place. TOT. Sticks to 1.5-2 megabits. But has a nasty habbit of going down to 0.3 megabits during superpeak times (like christmas/new years holidays).

3rd place. CAT. Average at 0.6-0.7 megabits per second (they have capped the speed per international connection to 700 kilobits). RARELY goes higher (much higher) to 3-5 megabits. But that happens for 1-2 hours at a time.

4th place. AIS. Completely unreliable. Speed jumps all over the place. Can be fast (1.5-2 megabits). But can slow down to crawling 0.3 megabits.

Will be happy to answer any questions.

Edited by ethaniel

Good info. 

Now I do not have a need to connect to servers in Russia but I do connect to servers primarily in the U.S. and Singapore.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan here in Bangkok and definitely get much, much higher speeds than you are getting in Koh Samui; however, our testing methods are different.   Is there a possibility your server/connection in Russia is just slow?  

Some speed test examples are below such as a Testmy.net single thread test to Singapore last night/28 Dec and tonight/29 Dec and another one a few minutes ago/tonight/29 Dec to San Francisco.  Then a multithread test using Speedtest.net to Moscow a few minutes ago/tonight/29 Dec.  All much higher than you are getting in Koh Samui with your AIS Fibre line. 

What do you get if you use Testmy.net and Speedtest.net to say Singapore and San Francisco?

Bangkok to Singapore 28 Dec at 9:13pm

5a46343f3a696_TestMyNeton28Dec17SingleThread.JPG.6351e06e8d145b2668b1508ae3ab9287.JPG

Bangkok to Singapore 29 Dec at 7:13pm

XZG0N9MPl.png

Bangkok to San Francisco 29 Dec 7:14pm

1Ej5zq8eQ.png

Bangkok to Moscow 29 Dec at 7:19pm

6919864299.png

And regarding AIS Fibre "IPv6" connections, yesterday during the day was messed up..intermittent connections to IPv6 websites and just couldn't pass the IPv6 tests on test-ipv6.com and IPv6-test.com.  IPv4 connections were fine.  But starting this morning all was good again and is still good with IPv6 connections.

Edited by Pib

Wow, you do have fast speeds in Bangkok. I prefer my way of testing, because:

1. Moscow is a fuсking long way away. Connection has to go either through Europe, or USA depending on the conditions. This way a lot of international exchanges are involved and it's easier to see how much priority each ISP has.

2. Singapore and LA/SF have much more relaxed throttling. I don't think they're quite informative on the actual international condition.

Also, speedtest.net is a multithreaded test.

Me really think your way is giving unrealistic speed results against all the ISPs....and the problem could be on your server/the Russia end.  Heck, the speed results you are reporting harken back to the old ADSL days of 10Mb or less plans.

The last time I looked Singapore, Los Angeles, San Francisco are "actual" international connections from Thailand.  

Testmy.net does not have a Russia test location but they do have one for Germany...here's the results on this Saturday morning.

Testmy.net to Frankfurt Germany...single thread test

0oqKS2Wp1.png

Using Nperf.com to Moscow...multithread test

219626291-v39hygpS.png

Speedtesting against moscow is very unrealistic.

3bb throttles almost all non-https connections to 3-4 mbits. They have higher allowances for some destinations like Asia and US west coast.

Google services are unthrottled in 3BB. I get max speed (210,000 kbit/s) at all times.

Most of the routing is near perfect in 3BB. They peer via France or De-Cix using seamewe submarine cables and ping is usually good.