Apple slowering old devices, anyone of you experienced this?

waxpro

6 minutes ago, heybuz said:

is it batteries or software, operating system

It is a battery fault that causes software to "activate" the slowdown. No battery = no battery fault = no slowdown due to battery fault.

I can confirm they do not have this on a macbook with macOS High Sierra. I have an early 2013 model and last year my battery started having troubles. It got annoying at around 20-30% battery life left ( displayed ) and then when opening picture files or working on documents, it would just shut down. I did not have any sort of speed issues. I wish though it had that "Feature" they have on the iphones and I wouldnt have lost work in progress at times.

Luckily also, there was a recall for the batteries of my macbook model and I had the battery replaced free of charge about 2 months ago.

Upon receiving my macbook back, I did not notice an increase in speed...just a perfect performing battery like when it was new.

Sort of correct. They only slow older iphones with bad battery performance ( All iphone 6 and up ). So you may have an iphone 6 that works fine...no battery issues, not slow. Your friends iPhone may be very slow ( due to a under performing battery ). He changes his battery and his phone should operate the normal speed it used to before the battery went bad.

5 hours ago, NiwPix said:

I can confirm they do not have this on a macbook with macOS High Sierra. I have an early 2013 model and last year my battery started having troubles. It got annoying at around 20-30% battery life left ( displayed ) and then when opening picture files or working on documents, it would just shut down. I did not have any sort of speed issues. I wish though it had that "Feature" they have on the iphones and I wouldnt have lost work in progress at times.

Yea, laptop manufacturers are notorious for including code to slow down CPU/GPU to conserve battery life or reduce heat without telling the consumer what/when it's going to happen.

As a side note, I just replaced the battery on my Acer laptop. It was showing 75% charge (via software) and 33% "wear" but wouldn't take a charge and completely failed to hold my laptop on when we have a power outage. Tried booting on battery but that went nowhere fast as it just acted dead. Plugged in the battery indicated 73% charge. Every reboot reduced that number between 2-5% until it was 0%. I ordered a replacement battery from Lazada and the laptop is now back to normal operation.  Luckily I didn't have any throttling (beyond heat protection) on AC while the dead battery was in place -- and this was at the same time Microsoft was sending updates for Spectre and Meltdown that some said could reduce system speed my 30%.

Anyway, it's common to have software-based system throttling in an OS to protect against heat or elongate battery life ...especially when the owner doesn't need the device running at full speed.

What I dislike is when the manufacture states they have a fast processor, but throttle it 80% of the time even while you're running intensive tasks because they're afraid the CPU will overheat and shut down / crash.