alternative retirement country

i come from EU, i had a lot of hassle with visa runs for the past 17 years or so,

and in hindsight, i wish i had just moved to some caribbean country belonging to NL, England, or France,

which would have meant i was a citizen in the first instance, not a single solitary visa run, or any other rubbish.

If you qualify easily for an appropriate visa, life is obviously easier... if it bothers you, then sure, go someplace where you do qualify easier... this does not seem too complicated a life choice... sorry if it took you seventeen years to figure it out. Surely there must be some reason you stayed. 

I can only assume if it is enough hassle you will be clever enough to weigh that into your decision making process.. 

Best of luck to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

If you qualify easily for an appropriate visa, life is obviously easier... if it bothers you, then sure, go someplace where you do qualify easier... this does not seem too complicated a life choice... sorry if it took you seventeen years to figure it out. Surely there must be some reason you stayed. 

I can only assume if it is enough hassle you will be clever enough to weigh that into your decision making process.. 

Best of luck to you. 

its pain that weighs into decision making process,

if i had gone to caribbean straight away, i wouldnt have had to put up with a single visa run.

now i'm too crippled to first go there and then find out where everything is, but for someone that isnt 50 years old yet, i recommend dont bother with asia when there are EU countries that has tropical resorts

Edited by poanoi

8 minutes ago, poanoi said:

if i had gone to caribbean straight away, i wouldnt have had to put up with a single visa run.

now i'm too crippled to first go there and then find out where everything is, but for someone that isnt 50 years old yet, i recommend dont bother with asia when there are EU countries that has tropical resorts

Terrible food and crime problems in most of those islands though.  Thailand is a million times better.  Not everyone is looking simply for "tropical"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Terrible food and crime problems in most of those islands though.  Thailand is a million times better.  Not everyone is looking simply for "tropical"

well, what other reason is there to leave genuine quality,

beside dodging cold weather & high living cost ?

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

Well sorry for the pain and you are quite young to be a cripple, but if it was not for you, you could have decided that in year one... my guess is that if you went to the Caribbean and spent seventeen years, you would be longing to have gone to Asia.. the sound of the steel drums working your reggae nerves by now... though of course you would have invested everything in Amazon, Apple and bitcoin... if you are busy seeking mistakes in your life... that may not exist. "Yo Mon, I could a gone Thai lan" 

Good luck moving forward... 

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

well, what other reason is there to leave genuine quality,

beside dodging cold weather & high living cost ?

If your sole criteria is to live as a skinflint in the tropics, why not choose a Brazilian favela or Manila slum.  Rents are cheap and visas are easy to come by.  Just get a good kevlar vest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

If your sole criteria is to live as a skinflint in the tropics, why not choose a Brazilian favela or Manila slum.  Rents are cheap and visas are easy to come by.  Just get a good kevlar vest.

i have no idea what brazil would be like, but i have been told i wouldnt like manila.

my primary objective in life is not another visa run, or anything else that causes more pain

1 minute ago, poanoi said:

i have no idea what brazil would be like, but i have been told i wouldnt like manila.

my primary objective in life is not another visa run, or anything else that causes more pain

why not go see for yourself rather than following others' opinions?

32 minutes ago, torrzent said:

why not go see for yourself rather than following others' opinions?

i dont dip into more pain unless i think the odds are its going to get less painful in the long run, and going anywhere = more pain, and manila is said to be lower quality than thailand. and btw, skinflint living is not descriptive on my living, if there's a go-go bar handy, that is invariably my highest monthly expense

Edited by poanoi

3 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i dont dip into more pain unless i think the odds are its going to get less painful in the long run, and going anywhere = more pain, and manila is said to be lower quality than thailand

so you have spent 17 years stewing in dismay rather than going out and finding out for yourself....afraid I can't help you with that

3 minutes ago, torrzent said:

so you have spent 17 years stewing in dismay rather than going out and finding out for yourself....afraid I can't help you with that

exactly, but just perhaps, if someone had told me living in thailand was nothing but visa runs,

while living in caribbean it wouldnt even come into question, maybe, just maybe, i would have changed destination

Just now, poanoi said:

exactly, but just perhaps, if someone had told me living in thailand was nothing but visa runs,

while living in caribbean it wouldnt even come into question, maybe, just maybe, i would have changed destination

You need to take some risks instead of sitting at home waiting for instructions.

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

no, and now when you mention it, this conversation was pointless

Well actually, although it was a waste of my time, it allowed you to identify your neuroses of perpetual whingeing and waiting for others to do the work for you (baby bird syndrome).  Up to you to do the rest.

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

@paonoii Can you afford the Elite visa? It's certainly an option to consider if it's within budget.

I rarely recommend the Elite visa, but if you want to stay, you find it painful to travel and you have the funds then look into it.

hi blackcrab, yes, i know of elite visa, but now is only 3 month left until i'm finally 50 thank goodness, i will go apply

for retirement visa in 2 month

Edited by poanoi

7 minutes ago, poanoi said:

hi blackcrab, yes, i know of elite visa, but now is only 3 month left until i'm finally 50 thank goodness, i will go apply

for retirement visa in 2 month

You turn 50 in 3 months but will apply for the retire visa in 2 months....do explain the math!

Bad info about Brasil. Long term Visas have very high financial requirements there but on the other hand move to a faceless and you won't need anything long term ever again.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app