U.S. military to accept transgender recruits on Monday - Pentagon

rooster59

U.S. military to accept transgender recruits on Monday - Pentagon

By Lawrence Hurley and Idrees Ali

800x800.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Newly inaugurated U.S. President Donald Trump salutes as he presides over a military parade following Trump's swearing-in ceremony in Washington, DC, U.S., January 20, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Segar/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Transgender people will be allowed for the first time to enlist in the U.S. military starting on Monday as ordered by federal courts, the Pentagon said on Friday, after President Donald Trump's administration decided not to appeal rulings that blocked his transgender ban.

Two federal appeals courts, one in Washington and one in Virginia, last week rejected the administration's request to put on hold orders by lower court judges requiring the military to begin accepting transgender recruits on Jan. 1.

A Justice Department official said the administration will not challenge those rulings.

"The Department of Defense has announced that it will be releasing an independent study of these issues in the coming weeks. So rather than litigate this interim appeal before that occurs, the administration has decided to wait for DOD's study and will continue to defend the president's lawful authority in District Court in the meantime," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

In September, the Pentagon said it had created a panel of senior officials to study how to implement a directive by Trump to prohibit transgender individuals from serving. The Defense Department has until Feb. 21 to submit a plan to Trump.

Lawyers representing currently-serving transgender service members and aspiring recruits said they had expected the administration to appeal the rulings to the conservative-majority Supreme Court, but were hoping that would not happen.

Pentagon spokeswoman Heather Babb said in a statement: "As mandated by court order, the Department of Defense is prepared to begin accessing transgender applicants for military service Jan. 1. All applicants must meet all accession standards."

Jennifer Levi, a lawyer with gay, lesbian and transgender advocacy group GLAD, called the decision not to appeal "great news."

"I’m hoping it means the government has come to see that there is no way to justify a ban and that it’s not good for the military or our country," Levi said. Both GLAD and the American Civil Liberties Union represent plaintiffs in the lawsuits filed against the administration.

"COSTS AND DISRUPTION"

In a move that appealed to his hard-line conservative supporters, Trump announced in July that he would prohibit transgender people from serving in the military, reversing Democratic President Barack Obama's policy of accepting them. Trump said on Twitter at the time that the military "cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail."

Four federal judges - in Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Seattle and Riverside, California - have issued rulings blocking Trump's ban while legal challenges to the Republican president's policy proceed. The judges said the ban would likely violate the right under the U.S. Constitution to equal protection under the law.

The Pentagon on Dec. 8 issued guidelines to recruitment personnel in order to enlist transgender applicants by Jan. 1. The memo outlined medical requirements and specified how the applicants' sex would be identified and even which undergarments they would wear.

The Trump administration previously said in legal papers that the armed forces were not prepared to train thousands of personnel on the medical standards needed to process transgender applicants and might have to accept "some individuals who are not medically fit for service."

The Obama administration had set a deadline of July 1, 2017, to begin accepting transgender recruits. But Trump's defense secretary, James Mattis, postponed that date to Jan. 1, 2018, which the president's ban then put off indefinitely.

Trump has taken other steps aimed at rolling back transgender rights. In October, his administration said a federal law banning gender-based workplace discrimination does not protect transgender employees, reversing another Obama-era position. In February, Trump rescinded guidance issued by the Obama administration saying that public schools should allow transgender students to use the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-30

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Trump has taken other steps aimed at rolling back transgender rights. In October, his administration said a federal law banning gender-based workplace discrimination does not protect transgender employees, reversing another Obama-era position. In February, Trump rescinded guidance issued by the Obama administration saying that public schools should allow transgender students to use the restroom that corresponds to their gender identity.

Mr President, methinks thou dost protest too much.

What's interesting about this is that the US military is so desperate for recruits they're willing to accept transgenders. Don't get it myself, give me my time again I'd probably join the military, given the fringe benefits. I suppose any normal heterosexual male, full of piss and vinegar, has more attractive options.

3 hours ago, nausea said:

What's interesting about this is that the US military is so desperate for recruits they're willing to accept transgenders.

No,  what is interesting is that the US Military has lawyers that are savvy enough to understand the law and that not accepting "transgenders" is discrimination pure and simple

If gays can openly serve in the military then transgenders should have the same opportunity

Some have already forgotten the days of Don't Ask, Don't Tell 

4 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

No,  what is interesting is that the US Military has lawyers that are savvy enough to understand the law and that not accepting "transgenders" is discrimination pure and simple

If gays can openly serve in the military then transgenders should have the same opportunity

Personally I could care less as to what someone believes themselves to be as long as it doesn't affect me. It's none of my business.

However, I believe that they have reduced physical standards for women entering the military, and transgenders should be required to qualify based on their actual genetic gender, and not on what they think they are. If they want to be treated equally, no problem with me, as long as they get equal treatment.

Society has moved on a lot, it seems. Any guy claiming to be a girl in the military I joined would have lasted about 5 minutes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Same, same but different. Transgenders are going there cos the military machine will pay for their whatevers. 

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, I believe that they have reduced physical standards

Exactly, and you push them up against ISIS or whatever, and you have a problem.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nausea said:

Same, same but different. Transgenders are going there cos the military machine will pay for their whatevers. 

Exactly, and you push them up against ISIS or whatever, and you have a problem.

If transgenders think they have a problem in the US they should think twice about joining up. If captured by IS or the Taliban etc they really will have a problem. Fundamentalists really don't like such.

BTW, they will be going to fight, won't they? Surely they don't think they'll be able to get a nice safe job without seeing action, surely? Say it isn't so.

6 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Hmmmm. Slight difference between a homosexual guy and a transgender. A homosexual can pass for a non homosexual guy, but a transgender often looks like a guy that has had silicone implants- ie still a man that wants to be a woman. Sure, there are some transgenders that look like real women ( Thailand has lots ), but I doubt that those would be joining up to go kill people with a lot of rough warriors.

Does anyone know if a transgender that joins up is assigned to female only positions, and lives with women in barracks, or sent off with the men, live in male barracks?

Genuine question.

I've seen US military transgenders on tv that served in war zones, but they apparently only converted after being discharged, so the soldiers they served with may not have known.

MAGA - one step at a time :smile:

Once the Military tribunal completes its own assessment of the Pros and Cons, and assuming it comes out with recommendations against the policy (or very strong conditions like no free medications/operations and limitations on deployment, then Trump will take it further.  That will be appealed against (again) by the Liberals, and the Supreme Court will eventually decide - and rule the ban should be re-instated.

Don't hold your breath, they can be disqualified for taking body enhancing drugs, they have disqualified people for a lot less than that - any reason whatsoever that can preclude them from being worldwide deployable can be used.  Jury is still out on that.

I was almost disqualified for being color blind, but faked my way thru the color test.

The "me" attitude has permeated the US Military.  This focus on individual feelings, thoughts, desires and distractions, is counter to what makes a military unit function effectively.   Families and kids too, they are a pain in the neck.   I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

MAGA - one step at a time :smile:

Once the Military tribunal completes its own assessment of the Pros and Cons, and assuming it comes out with recommendations against the policy (or very strong conditions like no free medications/operations and limitations on deployment, then Trump will take it further.  That will be appealed against (again) by the Liberals, and the Supreme Court will eventually decide - and rule the ban should be re-instated.

Maga, huh?:sick:

Meaning "great" for white, straight Americans and demonizing everyone else.

No thank you. 

trump, the draft dodger, with the fake bone spur, has a lot of nerve trying to exclude an entire class of Americans from military service that are actually VOLUNTEERING. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

The "me" attitude has permeated the US Military.  This focus on individual feelings, thoughts, desires and distractions, is counter to what makes a military unit function effectively.   Families and kids too, they are a pain in the neck.   I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. 

It doesn't sound harsh. It sounds ignorant. It sounds like a lame excuse to rationalize bigotry. It's no secret that most of the straight white resentment "maga" types that support banning all transgender people want to ban all gays and lesbians as well. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

It doesn't sound harsh. It sounds ignorant. It sounds like a lame excuse to rationalize bigotry. It's no secret that most of the straight white resentment "maga" types that support banning all transgender people want to ban all gays and lesbians as well. 

You ever serve in the military?

• Thanks 1

Living here in Pattaya i have no problem with ladyboys or girls who want to be boys. Couldnt care less .up to them . But as for letting them join the military well there is a saying " those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad"

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Living here in Pattaya i have no problem with ladyboys or girls who want to be boys. Couldnt care less .up to them . But as for letting them join the military well there is a saying " those whom the Gods wish to destroy they first send mad"

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I feel the same way, without the god ref though.   

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Can we take that as a no then .. You havent served you're country .? 

"We" can take as a this thread isn't about me and I try do my best to deflect obvious personal BAITING.

IT IS about trump's transphobic policy directive initiated on of all places -- twitter. Which was done only to please his hard core intolerant of all minorities base. Pretty much the only reason he does anything as president. He understands nothing of actual policies, whether foreign or domestic. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, Langsuan Man said:

I don't think you can compare a sexual preference to a mental ailment.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:38 PM, Justgrazing said:

No baiting here Sir .. Ours was merely a not unreasonable conclusion to draw from you're  response to a not unreasonable question posed by 55jay .. Not unusual for ex-military personnel to make plain their service and we ( the flock ) thought 55jay's enquiry to be quite valid in the context of the OP .. We would though concur that D J T is not quite the guy that you might expect to be at the helm of the USS America , but hey that's democracy in action for you .. The American people got what they voted for .. Is it any surprise he takes his chosen line against minority groups .? Anyone who's heard his mysogynist potty mouth from the 80's when he was a lesser mortal will not be overly surprised that now he is the most powerful man in the world that his deepest thoughts and prejudices can now be directed at more marginal grps , one of whom are mentioned in OP .. His hand grenade style of diplomacy is not to everyones tastes it must be said and his crash and burn policies ( a lot of which appear to revolve around reversing a lot of what Obama achieved ) may yet yield results not entirely following the script ( if he had one ) .. Or as Viz comic once so memorably put it " convince people you're Donald Trump by putting a cat on you're head then act like a c*** " .. Peace be with you .. 

And exactly how do you verify that truth of what posters claim to be their personal history?

49 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, I thought after I had read it that Trey Gowdy must be a pretty stupid guy to have written this. It doesn't sound like the work of an experienced prosecutor. So I looked it up. Sure enough, it wasn't by him. So I guess we know the kind of sites that you get your information from.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/trey-gowdy-transgender-military-ban/

And here is a big problem.  For many (particularly Trump followers although it does also happen sometimes with the left too) a smidgen of due-diligence into the credibility of the propaganda they spout is an effort too far.  They don't fact check, and when they do, they use extremely partisan outlets and just swallow the information as is, an then regurgitate it for us all to suffer.

• Like 1