Want To Buy 1 Rai Of Nice Land For Around 1-1.5 Mil Baht?

chanchao

Here's my (our) dilemma. We're sick of living in a typical compound where houses are built so close together that even the cat thinks twice before crawling between the two to get to the back side.

So we're looking for some more space (land) and go build something. I think our requirements are pretty typical:

* Around 1 rai. Can be a bit less, can be a bit more depending on price/distance from town.

* Close enough to town. Inside or not too much beyond the outer ring. Again can be a bit flexible; perfect paradise for cheap is allowed to be 30 minutes from town.

* All the usual catches should be manageable: Not too low to risk flooding, no risk of land slides, not completely in the middle of nothing, no serious issues getting electricity, phone, then the papers should be in order and easily transferable (chanote, etc), shape of the land should be such that the house has enough 'front' on a good road, not too close to highways, chicken farms, factories or other things that produce noise or smell. [Feel free to add requirements here]

The main thing we found is that the land that's for sale is often TOO MUCH. Often we're looking at 2-3 rai, which immediately doubles or triples the price. So we're looking for like-minded individuals/couples/families. Cut up a piece of around 2 rai between two people.

Some might say I'm crazy to contemplate living next to a ThaiVisa-member, but I've unknowingly done it in the past, living next to one, and he made an excellent neighbour. :o

Thoughts? Warnings? Shouts of agreement?

Cheers,

Chanchao

No names..

I know if one farang that's done this twice. The first "project" was shared between a few foreigners and evidently worked out quite well - wasn't cheap however, AFAIK the houses they built ranged from 15M - 30'ish M. He later sold that place (for a tidy profit), and started again with a smaller plot and only one other foreign partner. Just before construction really began, his land partner split up with his Thai wife, and left him high and dry. He bought the land back from the partner's ex (who didn't have the finances to follow it through), sold it again out of economic necessity (making a small profit) which ultimately led to a fairly nasty falling out between friends. However the new land partner is apparently not very motivated and hasn't developed their share of the land, so his planned paradise is now surrounded by a dusty plot of landfill.

I'd say "beware" is a good word :o

Thanks!!

Should add that this isn't intended as any profit making or development or lease kind of thing. No houses involved also; just about the only understanding would be to not build something really crazy on the other half like an appartment block or chicken farm. So just looking for someone who wants to build a family home with a family garden on it.

Besides I don't have the funds to go develop and then rent/lease/sell land or houses, the whole point is to satisfy the seller that he can sell all his land but without me having to buy a whole 3 rai of it. (Sellers often don't want to sell smaller parts of land, as it will reduce the value of what's left)

Also don't want to get too much involved in any required legal constructions on leasing or anything. It is assumed that the other person chooses an ownership type that he and the land department are comfortable with and that doesn't include me or my wife. :o

(...then again, if someone says "here's 1.5 million baht, just give me a xxx year lease" then I'd be willing to listen. :D But honestly it's not what I'm after.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

I was just talking to my fiancee about this today. SOrry I am not in the position at the moment to bring over my funds to settle down. The whole newly weds, she's finishing her MA and I am just starting mine leads to my inability to help out. But honostly I hope it works out great because it gives me hope that I can do the same!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chanchao.

My Thai friend Max (Methee in Thai, go figure) works for a RE comapany that has plenty of deals in Panthip Plaza opn the 3rd floor just opposite the food court. His English is great, and he's fun to talk with too. They have pix of many of the plots of land and I know they drive you out too. If you have a chance, go drop in. Their name is something like Siam home, and the web name is similar, but .net. I think they moved their Eng website to a different name but it should click thru to the new one. Haven't looked in a while.

Good luck. Your price should get you lots of choices.

I will give it a try, but my experience with real estate agents is that they're most suited to newbie expats with loads of money and zero time. You know, those fresh expats who you can say "aircon, furnished, 20,000 baht / month" to and they DONT walk away laughing, that sort of people. But anyway, that shop is convenient relative to where I am so I'll check it out. :o

You might want to check out classifieds on chingmainews.com

Just had a look through and there is 2rai advertised at 2million

But from experience since the Night Safari etc etc prices in that area have increased dramatically.