settlement visa for thai wife

hello,

I shall be starting the' journey' in early January to get a settlement visa for my wife.

If anyone has any useful information or links regarding the process I would be most grateful.

My wife speaks and writes good english,but I understand she has to pass the A1 test to go foreward.

I gather from the website that she can take the exam in Bangkok,but does anyone know if she might take it nearer our home in NaJomtien?

Can she just sit the exam or is she required to take lessons first?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

terry

She can only currently take the IELTS Life Skills test in Thailand in Bangkok, either at the British Council or IDP. Only very basic English communication skills are required so she won't need lessons. Some fail because of nerves as it's a short test. If she speaks she will pass! If her English is very good it might be worth doing B1 now as it will cover for later Leave to Remain applications. This can also be done at IDP/British Council.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Because they changed the rules for FLR she will need A2 for it and it's not that different from A1. Well worth doing A2 to save money and with another test for FLR. As brewsterbudgen says B1 is even better if her English is good enough.

• 3 weeks later...

thanx to rasg and brewsterbudgen for that info.

As regards the levels of achievement I'm a little confused over A1,A2 and B2.

Can anyone give me info on these so my wife can better understand what is required of her,

tekka

Edited by tekka8
mispelling

thanx to rasg and brewsterbudgen for that info.
As regards the levels of achievement I'm a little confused over A1,A2 and B2.
Can anyone give me info on these so my wife can better understand what is required of her,
tekka

They are just at different levels. A1 is very basic; A2 slightly higher level; B1 higher level than A2 and tests other skills such as planning a task with another candidate. A1 and B1 can be taken in Bangkok, but not A2.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Knowing what I know now I would never have put my wife in for the A1 test as it's so similar to the A2 test. It's another £150 and a trip into London but the Government changed the rules for the second FLR.

Go onto the Trinity College YouTube feed and take a look at real tests. My wife did her A1 while she was in the UK on a visit visa.

• Like 1