Police to get tough with cars with loud engine noise

snoop1130

6 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Too hot for big over the ear headphones/hearing protectors.

Used only indoors usually in air-conditioned environments and usually for short periods (while eating, for example).

Not too hot to wear when the noise level is high enough and one's tolerance for it is hovering around zero and one is willing to make an obvious and quiet statement about it.

Edited by MaxYakov

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The loudest part of an engine under load is usually the intake. The exhaust can be loud but the intake is usually shorter in piping and the valve overlap under load makes much more noise come back through the intake piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up here in "the sticks" farm buggies run w/out mufflers. They are loud, un registered, and not road worthy. But the non-existent police don't seem to care.  These vehicles have only 1 cylinder and go excessively slow causing much concern on roads in Isaan. Shame there isn't rule of law. 

That's about time, it's really terrible to hear that all day and night.

When i drive motobike i almost get a heartattack sometimes when a Vios "racecar" makes loud bangs from it's open exhaust right next to me.

But since the police are going to do it i don't have any hope for a good result, why not let the army do this?

The loudest part of an engine under load is usually the intake. The exhaust can be loud but the intake is usually shorter in piping and the valve overlap under load makes much more noise come back through the intake piping.

So if a person was to remove the intake muffler and also remove the exhaust muffler, the majority of noise would come from the intake piping?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, saakura said:

Good. The number of cowboys riding their super noisy motorcycles in Bangkok is getting to be irritating.

On the other hand I do think there are other, more pressing, things to do in the traffic killing machine.

2 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Up here in "the sticks" farm buggies run w/out mufflers. They are loud, un registered, and not road worthy. But the non-existent police don't seem to care.  These vehicles have only 1 cylinder and go excessively slow causing much concern on roads in Isaan. Shame there isn't rule of law. 

But, and please don't forget that, those contraptions are mostly used for work.

Not for fun, show, whatever.

12 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Long overdue, especially those irritating motorbikes whose noise seems to be meant to compensate for the owner's lack of mental or physical impact.

A lot of motorcyclists of larger bikes have louder exhausts so that dopey car drivers can hear them coming. I have a CBR300 and it seems very quiet with the standard exhaust, but then I wear bright day glow clothing to compensate.

What they SHOULD do is corral those foul, smoke belching buses and other vehicles polluting our air. That is more of a Health hazard than the noisy ones. But don’t expect the BTA to do anything about it. They’re too busy dreaming up new ways to waste money on buying Chinese crap buses.

4 hours ago, selftaopath said:

You sound like a couple I read about in Germany, they moved to a village in the countryside and then sued a farmer because his cockerel crowed at 5am.

Are there many people being killed or injured by engine noise?

C'mon RTP, get your priorities right instead of looking for the easy way out of doing anything difficult that may yield REAL benefits insofar as road trauma is concerned. 

10 hours ago, hansnl said:

On the other hand I do think there are other, more pressing, things to do in the traffic killing machine.

Very sensible reply.

A lot of old grumpy jealous fellahs on here see/hear a modified car or bike and grumble .

Dont think they are a real contributor to the shocking road toll. 

5 minutes ago, Nicebus said:

Very sensible reply.

A lot of old grumpy jealous fellahs on here see/hear a modified car or bike and grumble .

Dont think they are a real contributor to the shocking road toll. 

Remember this is about noise so we are not grumpy and jealous of Thai and some farangs (meaby you one of them) car's and motorbikes there make to mush noise day and night get it right na but yes it will be a go idea lower the death toll too 

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

If they're unmodified they don't exceed international noise standards or they wouldn't be allowed to be sold.  That's not sick.

What  decibel range is  an  international  standard? It  would  seem  that  90  dcbls has  been adopted  as  acceptable in Thailand. Even  if  that  is  is  in excess  of  legislative Thai  or  international standards then  even  if  unmodified  they should  be  subject  to  noise  control. 

When it  comes  to  Harleys  there is  no  justification for excusing dinosaur  machinery for  noise  pollution just  because  it  is  iconic.

On  that  basis  I  could   justify   farting  extremely  loudly in public and  declaring  personal justification in defence  of  my  right  to do so soley because  I  can and   my  Grandfather  etc  did  the  same.

Think  about  your  statement .

Being factory unmodified does  not  necessarily  mean  they  are  universally  acceptable for  noise pollution. 

Harleys  should  have  already  gone  the  way  of  Hudson ! Not  for  the  same  reasons  though. lol

So if a person was to remove the intake muffler and also remove the exhaust muffler, the majority of noise would come from the intake piping?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There isn’t a muffler on the intake, but a resonant damper and a filter. If you removed all piping from the block, the noise would be equal and horrendous.

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

What  decibel range is  an  international  standard? It  would  seem  that  90  dcbls has  been adopted  as  acceptable in Thailand. Even  if  that  is  is  in excess  of  legislative Thai  or  international standards then  even  if  unmodified  they should  be  subject  to  noise  control. 

On  that  basis  I  could   justify   farting  extremely  loudly in public and  declaring  personal justification in defence  of  my  right  to do so soley because  I  can and   my  Grandfather  etc  did  the  same.

Think  about  your  statement .

Being factory unmodified does  not  necessarily  mean  they  are  universally  acceptable for  noise pollution. 

"Being factory unmodified does  not  necessarily  mean  they  are  universally  acceptable for  noise pollution".

Yes, it does.  As far as I am concerned, this is about cars, not modified, unsilenced Harleys, and all cars manufactured for international sale have to comply with noise regulations worldwide, whatever level that is set at.

Your farting analogy is just nonsense, there are no noise regulations about flatulence and no statement that I made can be connected to your analogy.  I do not need to think about my statement, it is you that needs to think about what you are saying.

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Being factory unmodified does  not  necessarily  mean  they  are  universally  acceptable for  noise pollution".

Yes, it does.  As far as I am concerned, this is about cars, not modified, unsilenced Harleys, and all cars manufactured for international sale have to comply with noise regulations worldwide, whatever level that is set at.

Your farting analogy is just nonsense, there are no noise regulations about flatulence and no statement that I made can be connected to your analogy.  I do not need to think about my statement, it is you that needs to think about what you are saying.

LMAO.  I am tempted  to  tweet  Trump and  let  him  know I  just  pushed  a  button!

But  not.  I  would  not  want to  encourage selfish indulgence  at a  level  above unnecessary  irritation.