Restaurant Hunt

princealbert

.......................... FOOD FRIENZIED FARANG..................................

Now in search of 5 star, top notch nosh.

I have dined in many fine resteraunts around the world and would rate The Blue Elephant in Bangkok as the finest Thai food experiance i have ever had.

My quest is now to find the finest 5 star Thai restaurant here in my home town.

Or any other 5 star establishments for that matter as i have friends coming from the UK early April for there 50th wedding aniversary (i must sample first) and want to give them the finest culinary experiance possible.

Thanks for everyones assistance in helping me become even more pum puey.

Edited by princealbert

.......................... FOOD FRIENZIED FARANG..................................

Now in search of 5 star, top notch nosh.

I have dined in many fine resteraunts around the world and would rate The Blue Elephant in Bangkok as the finest Thai food experiance i have ever had.

My quest is now to find the finest 5 star Thai restaurant here in my home town.

Or any other 5 star establishments for that matter as i have friends coming from the UK early April for there 50th wedding aniversary (i must sample first) and want to give them the finest culinary experiance possible.

Thanks for everyones assistance in helping me become even more pum puey.

Firstly I have never heard of restaurants being star rated (I am learning though) :o

Chefs are star rated i.e. 1, 2 or 3 star Michelin.

Back to the restaurant if you are talking about purely Thai cuisine I cannot help.

If you are talking about excellence in food per se., "Le Coq d'Or should be close to the top of the list here in Chiangmai (on a good night)

Edited by john b good

give them the MOst unforgetable dinning of their life .

bring them to the ROAD SIDE store at any of the Chiangmai Gate , chang puek Gate .

sit down and order some food for 20 baht .

this way . there will sure have one hel_l of a dinning to rem ..

don't forget most of the CHEF there had at least 20-30 years cooking exp .

whahhahahahhaha

Edited by Ta22

give them the MOst unforgetable dinning of their life .

bring them to the ROAD SIDE store at any of the Chiangmai Gate , chang puek Gate .

sit down and order some food for 20 baht .

this way . there will sure have one hel_l of a dinning to rem ..

don't forget most of the CHEF there had at least 20-30 years cooking exp .

whahhahahahhaha

And there ain't nothing like a good dinning on the side of the road........... :o

And there ain't nothing like a good dinning on the side of the road........... :o

:D Personally I prefer to dine by the side of the road, bit cleaner - and safer. :D

If you like the Blue Heffalumop chain, in Bangkok or overseas and want something similar, you would probably do best by going to one of the top hotels, the Four Seasons or the Oriental Dhara Devi. They both offer fine dining Thai experiences in a slmilar, slightly Westernised, manner to the Blue Heffa chain.

whahaha a .. can't stop people from spending money if there have too much .

there care less about if it good food just if it look nice and so on ..

in fact alot of the HIGH class resturat i went .. can't even cook . real food .lack the kinda soul you find is real food .

the best food i ever had was on a road side down with beer in the cold night .

- had went to many expensive place myself . but notthing match the dusty hot place for real food .

Penang is one example of good food paradise . so is all the gates in chiangmai , and market ,

want a taste of thai .. go to the street . wanna look good . go to a fancy resturant that charge you silly crazy price .. but of cos it will make you look good . but not smart that all

whahaha a .. can't stop people from spending money if there have too much .

there care less about if it good food just if it look nice and so on ..

in fact alot of the HIGH class resturat i went .. can't even cook . real food .lack the kinda soul you find is real food .

the best food i ever had was on a road side down with beer in the cold night .

want a taste of thai .. go to the street . wanna look good . go to a fancy resturant that charge you silly crazy price .. but of cos it will make you look good . but not smart that all

Its not that i have too much money or want to look good or smart as you put it.

These are 72 year old westerners that would never be able to get back up after eatin at the road side and have never really travelled before so as a treat for their 50th Wedding Aniversary i wanted to give them a little luxury they cant afford back home.

Thanks for the suggestions p1p i am sure one of these places will fit the bill perfectly.

As for my daily diet it consists of at least 1 visit to a road side cafe to eat.

The one my wife owns and works on.

Edited by princealbert

There a Place call

Mo'c Mo 'L

The food is average and not so expensive compare to some fancy resturant .. and the place is nice .. interio is beautiful and alway have a live band sing jazz and others music .

worth checking it out .

of cos RIverside server some nice thai food at half the price any fancy resturant will .

good luck ..

lecrystal

Open daily from 18.30-22.30

Come and enjoy the various dinner menus well selected by our team to make sure that all the combination will have excellent choices, consisting of light dishes or a little creamy, for you to choose.

Degustation Menu A

Amuse Bouche

Imported Tuna Carpaccio served with rocket and parmesan cheese

Moet et Chandon Brut \"Imperial\"

Homemade duck paté, seared foie gras and caramelized oranges

Chateau Michel Côtes de Montravel 1998

Cream of white asparagus soup with scallop and salsa

Macon – Burgy en Chatelaine 2002

Refreshing Strawberry Sorbet

Roasted NZ monk fish with sautéed Julienne vegetable and saffron sauce

Sautéed AUS venison chop with grape confit, brussel sprout and truffle sauce

Chateau Brisson Côtes de Castillon 2003

Pear and red currant charlotte

Port Wine Graham’s 10 Years Old

Coffee or Selection of Fine Teas

Le Crystal Petits Fours

Bht 2,200.-

(Bht 3,500.- with Wines)

per person

................................................................................

Degustation Menu B

Amuse Bouche

White asparagus and smoked salmon with mint dressing

Seared tuna loin with horseradish mayonnaise and foie gras with strawberry sauce

Tomato Essence with Atlantic Sea Scallop and Prawn

Veloute of oyster soup

Roasted AUS lamb loin with spinach potato, ratatouille and eggplant thyme emulsion

Pan-fried imported duck breast with caramelizes apple and foie gras sauce

Ice green apple soufflé with vanilla sauce

Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps

Coffee or Tea

Le Crystal Petits Fours

Bht. 1,800

(Bht 2,800.- with Wine)

per person

lecrystal

Open daily from 18.30-22.30

Come and enjoy the various dinner menus well selected by our team to make sure that all the combination will have excellent choices, consisting of light dishes or a little creamy, for you to choose.

Degustation Menu A

Amuse Bouche

Imported Tuna Carpaccio served with rocket and parmesan cheese

Moet et Chandon Brut \"Imperial\"

Homemade duck paté, seared foie gras and caramelized oranges

Cream of white asparagus soup with scallop and salsa

Roasted NZ monk fish with sautéed Julienne vegetable and saffron sauce

Sautéed AUS venison chop with grape confit, brussel sprout and truffle sauce

Pear and red currant charlotte

Port Wine Graham’s 10 Years Old

Coffee or Selection of Fine Teas

Le Crystal Petits Fours

Bht 2,200.-

(Bht 3,500.- with Wines)

per person

................................................................................

Degustation Menu B

Amuse Bouche

White asparagus and smoked salmon with mint dressing

Seared tuna loin with horseradish mayonnaise and foie gras with strawberry sauce

Tomato Essence with Atlantic Sea Scallop and Prawn

Veloute of oyster soup

Roasted AUS lamb loin with spinach potato, ratatouille and eggplant thyme emulsion

Pan-fried imported duck breast with caramelizes apple and foie gras sauce

Ice green apple soufflé with vanilla sauce

Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps

Coffee or Tea

Le Crystal Petits Fours

Bht. 1,800

(Bht 2,800.- with Wine)

per person

Not excactly Thai food Chuchok... But if you take your own naam prik with you and a small bottle of naam plaa (fish sauce)..Viola..Thai food it is..And dont forget the lao kao (superman brand)..Bon appetit..

There a Place call

Mo'c Mo 'L

The food is average and not so expensive compare to some fancy resturant .. and the place is nice .. interio is beautiful and alway have a live band sing jazz and others music .

worth checking it out .

of cos RIverside server some nice thai food at half the price any fancy resturant will .

good luck ..

The Riverside aswell as The Chiang Mai Garden are reguler eateries of mine and will continue to be while they are here.

But where is the Mo'c Mo'L sounds like my kind of place ?

There a Place call

Mo'c Mo 'L

worth checking it out .

good luck ..

The Riverside aswell as The Chiang Mai Garden are reguler eateries of mine and will continue to be while they are here.

But where is the Mo'c Mo'L sounds like my kind of place ?

Go along Haew Kaew road heading towards the mountain. Go past The Rincome Hotel, over the canal and it’s about a hundred meters or two further along on the left hand side with plenty of parking. Try and get a table next to the water lily pond. We’ve been there a couple of times and enjoyed it.

:D Personally I prefer to dine by the side of the road, bit cleaner - and safer. :D

If you like the Blue Heffalumop chain, in Bangkok or overseas and want something similar, you would probably do best by going to one of the top hotels, the Four Seasons or the Oriental Dhara Devi. They both offer fine dining Thai experiences in a slmilar, slightly Westernised, manner to the Blue Heffa chain.

Haven't tried the Four Seasons, but I've been to the Oriental Dhara Devi (Grand Lanna) several times. I like the lanna atmosphere of the grounds but the food is some of the worst to be found anywhere, and it sure ain't cheap. I mean it's just awful. If it cost 40 baht you'd send it back. If you take Thais with you, they'll be amusing themselves at your expense as to what a rube you are. Worse than airplane food.

Edited by lannarebirth

Haven't tried the Four Seasons, but I've been to the Oriental Dhara Devi (Grand Lanna) several times. I like the lanna atmosphere of the grounds but the food is some of the worst to be found anywhere, and it sure ain't cheap. I mean it's just awful. If it cost 40 baht you'd send it back. If you take Thais with you, they'll be amusing themselves at your expense as to what a rube you are. Worse than airplane food.

Is the Indian food as terrible as the Thai food sounds?

You may have saved me a lot of money. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Is the Indian food as terrible as the thai food sounds?

You may have saved me a lot of money.

I don't know, I've never had Indian food there. I've eaten there 4 times. The first time I took myself and a grouop of others (including a Lanna princess), and the Thais could barely gag the food down. They did go on at length about what a criminal the builder is and what shame he brought his father and the suicides brought on by him not paying the contractors that built the place.

The next two times invited--terrible. The 4th, a wedding. Nice wedding, awful food. Thais wouldn't touch it.

PS: There's a good Indian/Arab restaurant in Anusarn Market next to that pub. Not much for atmosphere, but delicious food.

Edited by lannarebirth

I'll go along with that analogy, and I won't go back either. Luckily I was a guest and not paying the bill!!

whahah alot of the high class high end resturant face one simple problem ..

due to the fact that is so expensive . little people go eat it ..

and the biggest problem with food is staying fresh ..

imagine .. you order mushroom .. then what you got ti mushroom that is in the freezer for the last 5 days ..

whahahah

since the invention of freezer .. not much fresh food is serve .

so the best place for ncie fresh good food .. is ROAD SIDE STORE .:o

their turn over is EVERYDAY > so there BUY FRESH FROM MARKET EVERY MORNING

:D .

Check out Mo'C Mo'L but don't order too fancy food .

Here soem food you should try

FISH - Steam with LIME .

Pork dry in the sun for one day

Greem Curry