New Mercedes Benz pickup due out when in Thailand

madmax2

11 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Was your wildtrak in Thailand or overseas? 

What issues did it have? 

Was it the 2.2 or the 3.2 model? 

I was thinking about buying one but there are about 700 of them for sale on just one site I checked .... (seems like a lot) 

A lot of people say the ranger is the best when  it works, but when it doesn't, that's where the shortfall is when you need them to fix it

Toyota is a bit uninspiring tbh and a lot of the same faults are probably also on the mazda bt50 if they're made on the same production line

Don't really want a dmax either but they seem to be bulletproof with the Thai farmers hauling stuff around non stop 

The main problem was a faulty Auto transmission among others, started when the vehicle was 2.5 years old and had done 28K klms and still had the same faulty transmission when it was 4.5 years old and had done 65K klms, lost count of the amount of times and the length of them it spend in Ford workshops, they regularly had the vehicle for 5 days at a time and did nothing to it

Ended up trading it in on a Hilux revo, Being only 4.5 years old my wife who's name it was in had to return the first car buyers discount to the government of 96k baht, if we had kept it another 6 months the discount would not have to be returned but i was so sick of Fords lack of customer care and service and i wanted a reliable vehicle i was happy to return the discount and get on with my life driving a reliable vehicle for a change with excellent customer care and service as well 

Bought in Thailand of coarse, that's what this forum is supposed to be about, although you would not think so with people posting about vehicles used and bought in other countries

Ford could not give me one of their vehicles for free and we have friends who bought a ford fiesta sedan who feel the same way, traded their vehicle in at a big loss and now have a Fortuner

11 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Was your wildtrak in Thailand or overseas? 

What issues did it have? 

Was it the 2.2 or the 3.2 model? 

I was thinking about buying one but there are about 700 of them for sale on just one site I checked .... (seems like a lot) 

A lot of people say the ranger is the best when  it works, but when it doesn't, that's where the shortfall is when you need them to fix it

Toyota is a bit uninspiring tbh and a lot of the same faults are probably also on the mazda bt50 if they're made on the same production line

Don't really want a dmax either but they seem to be bulletproof with the Thai farmers hauling stuff around non stop 

"Toyota is a bit uninspiring tbh and a lot of the same faults are probably also on the mazda bt50 if they're made on the same production line"

No, no issues with the BT50.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

"Toyota is a bit uninspiring tbh and a lot of the same faults are probably also on the mazda bt50 if they're made on the same production line"

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

They share the same chassis and engine, and production line

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

They share the same chassis and engine, and production line

Mazda manufactures their own transmissions at their plant in Thailand

I do not have a clue where ford transmissions are manufactured but i was told by a ford representative that hold up on the delivery of the wildtrak in the beginning (2012) was because they were waiting for body parts from India 

Mazda have always manufactured a better product than ford but its usually more expensive to buy in the first place and more expensive for spare parts

Ranger and bt50 are the same mechanically but their parts come from different suppliers and are of different quality unfortunately for some of us

23 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Mazda manufactures their own transmissions at their plant in Thailand

I do not have a clue where ford transmissions are manufactured but i was told by a ford representative that hold up on the delivery of the wildtrak in the beginning (2012) was because they were waiting for body parts from India 

Mazda have always manufactured a better product than ford but its usually more expensive to buy in the first place and more expensive for spare parts

Ranger and bt50 are the same mechanically but their parts come from different suppliers and are of different quality unfortunately for some of us

I don't think it costs more in Thailand for the top bt50 vs the top ranger

Iirc the mazda is the cheaper but it doesn't have the side airbags or the advanced collision warning stuff that's standard in the wildtrak.... 

Although they might have updated it with those features by now... 

Both Benz and Navara pickups have coil rear suspension in Europe which kills it for Thailand which requires leaf springs on pick ups.

The Benz is available with at least one Nissan diesel.

The old Navara...still sold in the U.S. was the top selling pickup in the world.

Benz in Europe have always made commercial vehicles taxis and panel vans.

From reasons that are beyond me, pickups are a big boom sector in private vehicle market in Europe and Benz (or rather Merc) don't want to miss out.

It is still a Navara chassis ( strengthened etc) and a lot of Nissan stuff but being a lot wider than the Nissan even similar body parts aren't interchangeable.

I'm sure it'll be a great vehicle, but personally I'll never be old enough to own a Merc.

Archived